Dexron vi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was on the amazon website and notice the various companies that blend Dexron vi atf and I notice a few that say fully synthetic and some just label there brand as Dexron vi. Is there a difference between a synthetic Dex vi vs a generic Dex vi? Some of the a/c Delco jugs say fully synthetic and some don't, Since it's Dex vi its all the same right?

Here is a jug of AC Delco Dex VI. No indication of being synthetic, and a bottle of "Full Synthetic" Motomaster Dex VI. I haven"t seen anything that claims full synthetic is better and certainly have not experienced any difference in performance. Will one last longer? I'd be willing to read something on head to head tests.

004E3A0B-5A17-4EB0-8513-8B5747D66282.jpeg

0FBB5018-0FF5-4A00-8EE9-9931D726F5BE.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nyquist
I just bought a case of this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JMFDBJ/ . According to Chevron/Havoline, it is Dex VI approved.

I just changed the filter and fluid in my 2014 Sierra with the very same fluid. So far it's running nice and smooth. Since I added a drain plug to the pan, I'll be able to do simple drain and fills going forward. I too paid $52 for a case of 12. Not bad for a Dexron VI licensed ATF delivered to my front door.

How much did the pan dump ? … I'm getting materials ready to start with the Tahoe and the Z71 behind that …

Originally Posted by Sierra048
Originally Posted by Nyquist
I just bought a case of this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074JMFDBJ/ . According to Chevron/Havoline, it is Dex VI approved.

I just changed the filter and fluid in my 2014 Sierra with the very same fluid. So far it's running nice and smooth. Since I added a drain plug to the pan, I'll be able to do simple drain and fills going forward. I too paid $52 for a case of 12. Not bad for a Dexron VI licensed ATF delivered to my front door.

I'll be doing the same thing (adding a plug). It's a royal pain to drop the pan on these things. I'll probably go with a magnetic plug.

I'm at 37,000 miles; I did a drain and fill of four quarts through the dipstick tube at 25,000 miles. I'll drop the pan at 50,000 and change the filter (thatsll probably be the last time I drop the pan going forward).

IMHO, DEXRON VI is sold in two flavors: Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic. Bottles that are full syn will say so. The semi-syn's will usually not, saying they are only Dex VI.

Other BITOG'ers out there... chime in if I am wrong.

And unless you live in an extreme climate, both are quite good. DEXRON VI is considerably better than DEXRON III that came before it. Use either flavor of DEX VI with confidence.

Moreover, Chevron's Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF Fluid is a genuine DEXRON VI fluid, meeting General Motors DEXRON®-VI specification
GMN10060 (license number J-62300), according to Chevron. I assume it is premium fluid.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/havoline-full-synthetic-multi-vehicle-atf.html

Last edited:
Anybody have info for the suggested alternate compatible fluids like Havoline? Here's a ACDelco full syn and Valvoline maxlife multi-vehicle compatible fluid comparison. The maxlife multi-vehicle is pretty thin compared to ACDelco Dex VI. Which could spell trouble for a high mileage transmission. It's not like the engine, extra care needs to be taken when selecting a transmission fluid. Would be nice to know.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Originally Posted by 4WD
How much did the pan dump ? … I'm getting materials ready to start with the Tahoe and the Z71 behind that …

About 33%. The best way to do it is via the cooler return line at the top of radiator passenger side. It's a process of pumping out 3 quarts and putting three quarts back in 4 times. Turning the engine on and using the transmissions own pump. Which gets all of it. But on the last one you skip putting in the last 3 quarts so the pan is mostly empty then drop it for a filter. This way you're dropping a transmission filter into fresh fluid just like your engine. Not a pan drop which is a 1/3 partial replacement that puts a new filter in Old fluid. I can explain more if you're interested. I do it all the time.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Anybody have info for the suggested alternate compatible fluids like Havoline? Here's a ACDelco full syn and Valvoline maxlife multi-vehicle compatible fluid comparison. The maxlife multi-vehicle is pretty thin compared to ACDelco Dex VI. Which could spell trouble for a high mileage transmission. It's not like the engine, extra care needs to be taken when selecting a transmission fluid. Would be nice to know.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

I wonder how much this viscosity difference matters (?) After all, Maxlife is still within the range of Dexron VI fluids. For example, Mobil ATF is also on the thin side of the spec, at least at 100*C:

Screenshot_20190923-092757_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SteveG4
IMHO, DEXRON VI is sold in two flavors: Semi-Synthetic and Full Synthetic. Bottles that are full syn will say so. The semi-syn's will usually not, saying they are only Dex VI.

Other BITOG'ers out there... chime in if I am wrong.

And unless you live in an extreme climate, both are quite good. DEXRON VI is considerably better than DEXRON III that came before it. Use either flavor of DEX VI with confidence.

Moreover, Chevron's Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF Fluid is a genuine DEXRON VI fluid, meeting General Motors DEXRON®-VI specification
GMN10060 (license number J-62300), according to Chevron. I assume it is premium fluid.

https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/havoline-full-synthetic-multi-vehicle-atf.html

Yes it is. That's why I chose this fluid. And at a nice price. I plan on buying another case since both of our vehicles can use it and both have simple to access drain plugs for easy maintenance.

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Golly, where have you guys been where we discussed the fact that a 0.2 cSt to 1.5 cSt difference in ATF viscosity will not change anything?

We have discussed in various threads how the Dexron VI, while starting out a viscosity of about 6.0 cSt or lower, has much greater viscosity, FM, and oxidation stability than any previous Dexron specs.

The Dexron III series starts out at about 7.2 cSt and shears down to 4.5 cst before 30k miles.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Maxlife Dex/Merc ATFÂ
cSt@40*C - 28.82
cSt@100*C - 5.91
VI - 156

ACDelco Dex VI
cSt@40*C - 30.6
cSt@100*C - 6.1
VI - 152

Golly, where have you guys been where we discussed the fact that a 0.2 cSt to 1.5 cSt difference in ATF viscosity will not change anything?

We have discussed in various threads how the Dexron VI, while starting out a viscosity of about 6.0 cSt or lower, has much greater viscosity, FM, and oxidation stability than any previous Dexron specs.

The Dexron III series starts out at about 7.2 cSt and shears down to 4.5 cst before 30k miles.

I do remember that. I also remember how my Dex III AWD transfer case would not turn right using any variation of Dex VI. Had to be Dex III to operate correctly. And an older GM auto that required Dex III that everyone promised me Dex VI was "backwards compatible" with. Nope, would not shift into 3rd! Went back to Dex III, was fine again.

OK, perhaps its not the small viscosity difference. I trust you. But something else, maybe an additive is enough to mess me up both times i substituted Dex III with Dex VI. Something similar is happening with the new 8 speed GM truck transmissions. A small difference in the fluid results in a recall. I'm snakebit substituting ATFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back