Dex VI decisions, AC Delco vs. Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the Dex VI in my truck and was thinking about using 12 quarts of Amsoil ATLQT-CA at a whopping $147 but then I noticed that Walmart has AC Delco brand, same amount for $63. Walmart link

Now I know that the Amsoil stuff is really good stuff but if I can get OEM stuff for less than half the price and change it out twice as often wouldn't I be ahead of the game?

What am I missing here?

You are missing nothing.

Amsoil is probably has some better hot/cold/durability spec's from the slug of PAO in the formula. And, if you have several cars, you can use the Amsoil in many other makes/models...

BTW, I wouldn't bother with Delco when you can get that quantity in full synthetic Maxlife ATF gallon jugs for $54.

Filet mignon or cheeseburger?

I can get quality AC Delco gallon jugs for $24 on Amazon. Amazon link So we are back to square one. Two Cheeseburgers or one filet?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
You are missing nothing.

Amsoil is probably has some better hot/cold/durability spec's from the slug of PAO in the formula. And, if you have several cars, you can use the Amsoil in many other makes/models...

BTW, I wouldn't bother with Delco when you can get that quantity in full synthetic Maxlife ATF gallon jugs for $54.

Filet mignon or cheeseburger?

Last edited:
AC Delco DexronVI is supposed to be Petro Canada.

FYI all officially licensed DexronVI is essentially the same, no measurable difference with a very tight spec, so Supertech DexronVI is just as good as AC Delco DexronVI.

I recommend and prefer Maxlife to DexronVI.

I drained out the factory fill in my 2011 Silverado at 50,000 miles. It should be noted the fluid visually still looked great. Also, about half of the miles were towing my 5,500 pound travel trailer.

Impressed me enough - so I put in the new ACDelco transmission fluid.

I just picked up last week 15 quarts of Castrol Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF for $2/qt at AutoZone. They are having a national clearance (syn oils and misc syn ATF) on old stock, slow moving SKU's and SKU's to be replaced by vendors.

The Castrol I bought WAS NOT the "multi vehicle import" version.

It has full approval and certifications from GM and Ford as being approved for their respective long life, low viscosity ATF's (Dex-VI and LV) and approved for back spec of Dex-III and Mercon(V). With a saved receipt, it will fulfill warranty claims for being an approved ATF.

At $2/qt and approved by GM, you can't beat it.

Stock up on extra quarts, and install a drain plug on your trans pan. After your full trans service, drain and refill a fresh 4-5 quarts every 2 years.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Looking to replace the Dex VI in my truck and was thinking about using 12 quarts of Amsoil ATLQT-CA at a whopping $147 but then I noticed that Walmart has AC Delco brand, same amount for $63. Walmart link

Now I know that the Amsoil stuff is really good stuff but if I can get OEM stuff for less than half the price and change it out twice as often wouldn't I be ahead of the game?

What am I missing here?

I think that I have missed something? Can you tell us the DEXRON-VI licence number for the Amsoil product that you are proposing to purchase? I can't find it.
http://gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/DEXRON-VI.aspx

Whitewolf, stop trolling.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

What am I missing here?

I think that I have missed something? Can you tell us the DEXRON-VI licence number for the Amsoil product that you are proposing to purchase? I can't find it.
http://gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/DEXRON-VI.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back