Detergent Additives in modern PCMO's

I was curious what the actual detergent numbers looked like among the major brand PCMOs (approximates). Considering deposits and engine cleanliness there are quite a few factors. Deposits can be related to the level of additives present in the oil. While Castrol EDGE has probably the lowest quality base oil among the oils below, they do have a stout Mg/Ca level. VME has a very low Mg/Ca level and my guess is they are using some advanced detergent (their way of reducing IVD's) to replace the higher metallic additives.

In such a hypercompetitive market, each oil has something unique to offer.

PUP 5w30:
Mg - 765
Ca - 1119

Amsoil 5w30:
Mg - 959
Ca - 1,302

M1 5w30 EP:
Mg - 656
Ca - 855

Valvoline ME 5w30:
Mg - 381
Ca - 1,077

Castrol EDGE 5w30: (may have changed since SP)
Mg - 1,400
Ca - 900 Ca

Last edited:
Boron is 250+ for PUP/Amsoil
M1 I believe is around 80ppm or so

Boron can (and often does) come from borate ester or other boron based extreme pressure additives.

Note that you have different kinds of detergents including neutral, soft base, and hard base. You can't see what exactly is there just looking at a VOA. The rate of alkaline depletion tells you a lot more about the quality of the detergents than the ICP analysis.

I was curious what the actual detergent numbers looked like among the major brand PCMOs (approximates). Considering deposits and engine cleanliness there are quite a few factors. Deposits can be related to the level of additives present in the oil. While Castrol EDGE has probably the lowest quality base oil among the oils below, they do have a stout Mg/Ca level. VME has a very low Mg/Ca level and my guess is they are using some advanced detergent (their way of reducing IVD's) to replace the higher metallic additives.

In such a hypercompetitive market, each oil has something unique to offer.

PUP 5w30:
Mg - 765
Ca - 1119

Amsoil 5w30:
Mg - 959
Ca - 1,302

M1 5w30 EP:
Mg - 656
Ca - 855

Valvoline ME 5w30:
Mg - 381
Ca - 1,077

Castrol EDGE 5w30: (may have changed since SP)
Mg - 1,400
Ca - 900 Ca
They each have Mg and Ca, so what's so different about them?

Back