Details on an old Montgomery Ward S/S

JHZR2

Staff member
12ga Montgomery Ward shotgun, owned by a family member. Trying to help them find out more about it, and get a replacement part.

S/n on all parts match. It’s on the 170k range. No markings on it at all except for a few proof marks.

I doubt it’s worth much. Owner suspects it’s from the 191x period. I know there are only so many manufacturers that made these for a store brand. But I’m having a hard time finding info.

Anyone knowledgable about these? Any leads? Seems strange to see so few markings besides a manufacturer name...
3B95A898-A795-4397-ADBE-1EE3018998D4.jpeg

If you can't find the manufacturer, maybe you could get a small machine shop to make a replacement part.

If you do not know of any good metal machining shop near you there is a very good one a few miles west of Pittsburgh PA.

It is called Unique Machine and Tool Co. It is a small shop that does top quality work. The Owner is Mr. Martin Rubeo (Marty). The company phone number is 412 331 2717 and his cell phone is 412 721 9497 the e-mail address is [email protected]

Over the years I have had them make parts for me for some projects. They are very talented and will do small, or medium, or large jobs. The quality of their work is second to none.

12ga Montgomery Ward shotgun, owned by a family member. Trying to help them find out more about it, and get a replacement part.

S/n on all parts match. It’s on the 170k range. No markings on it at all except for a few proof marks.

I doubt it’s worth much. Owner suspects it’s from the 191x period. I know there are only so many manufacturers that made these for a store brand. But I’m having a hard time finding info.

Anyone knowledgable about these? Any leads? Seems strange to see so few markings besides a manufacturer name...

98% certain its an Iver Johnson

Is it auto eject?

Damascus barrel?

What's that word and scroll to the right of the rib marking?

A series of side profiles and a top view would cinch it

What part do you need?

More detail of the shot gun would help;

Theres not a lot more I can give. Side by side, 12ga, two triggers. No markings on the sides of the receivers, six digit numeric only serial number.

The only other markings include the designation of choke type,a mention of hardening, and proof marks that are weakly struck underneath.

98% certain its an Iver Johnson

Is it auto eject?

Damascus barrel?

What's that word and scroll to the right of the rib marking?

A series of side profiles and a top view would cinch it

What part do you need?

Im leaning towards it being a Baker from around 1910. Don’t think it’s Damascus. Need to get more photos.

Owner wants to get a new stock. Original was cracked and broken.

Im leaning towards it being a Baker from around 1910. Don’t think it’s Damascus. Need to get more photos.

Owner wants to get a new stock. Original was cracked and broken.

That's why I wanted to see that word. If its homo-tensile then its the Baker

That's why I wanted to see that word. If its homo-tensile then its the Baker

Believe that’s what I saw. Didn’t see any basis of that being a clue for Baker. If that’s telltale, then that will settle it.

Believe that’s what I saw. Didn’t see any basis of that being a clue for Baker. If that’s telltale, then that will settle it.

I'm hardly the firearms historian but have refurbished/reblued many of these old Sears,Otasco, Monkey ward, Western Auto types ( very common around here back in the day)

But terms like Homo tensile, ordinance steel, fluid steel, gun steel were often used to differentiate from Damascus forging. ( why I asked was it known to be Damascus). I do remember that was one of their advertising terms- but don't know if anyone else ever used it.

From the picture, I don't see the textbook striations indicating it was Damascus so I was employing the process of elimination based on a good peripheral look.

Back