Deposit Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running it in my Corolla right now I'm doing an OCI next month and an UOA I'm curious if it shows anything different.

Last edited:
Well.... The additive package is in house basically because it is Oronite. I'm sure they know what they are doing. Obviously Chevron makes a lot of base oils so that helps a lot has well.

First of all It is misplaced faith to use uoa's as a measure of lubricant performance for wear protection, deposit reduction or anything that is not a physical property such as flash point or viscosity.
Second of all, don't get wrapped up in marketing terms. Such as "intelligent molecules" or "deposit Shield". It's more likely a blending technician was explaining dispersant/detergent packages purpose to a marketing intern group on a plant tour and they quipped "ohh we could call it deposit shield!" That is more plausible than they have the corner on deposit control compared to other lubricants that and the designers insisted it have "deposit shield" in its name because of an extraordinary property.

Deposit Shield Technology blocks unintelligent molecules from messing things up!

Higher quality viscosity modifiers do more than help the lube resist thinning, they can also contribute to the lubes ability to suspend & disperse contaminants and keep deposits from forming. That will not show up on a UOA. That will not show up on a PDS. Only Chevron/Oronite knows this.

A lot of things don't appear on a VOA/UOA, like some esters are actually good solvents and capable of dissolving varnish. (im not saying Chevron uses esters, maybe they do... maybe they don't, you'd have to get them to disclose that)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Deposit Shield Technology blocks unintelligent molecules from messing things up!

You mean like this?... love these old ads.

Sounds like an FDIC guarantee.

Never liked Chevron or The New Havoline in anything I tried.

Motorcraft, QSGB and Mobil Clean 5000 are on my top 3 list

of unconventional conventionals

Originally Posted by OilUzer

crackmeup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
How does Havoline Deposit Shield technology work? Is it actually a good thing or just marketing?
The truth is Havoline Deposit Shield Technology works through magic. Smart molecules so to say. How can any of the major oil brands be much different if they meet the same specs..

Originally Posted by CT8
How does Havoline Deposit Shield technology work? Is it actually a good thing or just marketing?
The truth is Havoline Deposit Shield Technology works through magic. Smart molecules so to say. How can any of the major oil brands be much different if they meet the same specs..

In some sense you're correct, buy a lube that meets the latest ILSAC, API and even better D1G2 and you're good to go...but keep in mind specs are minimum. And there's nothing preventing a mfg of exceeding specs. To that end, ROI and price points have to be considered.

Last edited:
If the oil keeps engines free of sludge and deposits, and I've seen no evidence it doesn't, then why make a fuss over the marketing?

Any of you have a nickname? If your nickname is $***eater, and you eat $***, then who cares?

Originally Posted by IndyFan
If the oil keeps engines free of sludge and deposits, and I've seen no evidence it doesn't, then why make a fuss over the marketing?

ðŸ‘... millions of cars have logged millions of miles over the years on Havoline Smart Shield. Chevron just doesn't make garbage lube... they've been doing this a looong time.

Let me ask this question, if all oils just marketed themselves as plain motor oil and they keep your engine clean would you be posting threads asking why they don't tell us how they do it?

My guess is yes. 🎣

Yup just a marketing term. Its a good oil that doesn't tend to leave deposits if used with regular OCIs. Same as many other oils on the market. Use with confidense but dont expect anything above and beyond other oils out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back