Denso air filters manufactured in China?

Recently purchased a Denso air filter for a my 4th gen 4runner (4.7) and noticed they are made in China. I'm use to most Denso parts coming from Japan. See any issues with this? I'm tempted to go get a Japanese one from the dealer, but just want to verify quality of manufacturer. Thanks

I purchased a Denso Air Filter (oil filter also) for my 12 Tacoma and it was Chicom also. Most Toyota OEM parts are Denso made in Japan or USA from my experience. I'm not worried the least and enjoying the savings.

Not seeing any issues with the made in China one, we are going to see more of this as China is the worlds largest car market and companies are making a lot of parts there to feed production. Its a shame really but it is what it is.

The Made in China Denso oil filter for my 93 240 redblock engine is very well made. Matching or exceeding anything I have used from the EU or US.

Last edited:
Yea Denso filters have been downgraded (Air, Cabin, and Oil). They are not bad but no better than pretty much the cheaper other Chinese made filters now.

They switched a few years ago. Before that, Denso used to rebox the OEM air filters, and they were usually made in Japan, sometimes the US, sometimes Thailand or something, but usually the same COO as the OEM air filter.

AFAIK the cabin filters are still made in the US or Japan

I am sure if Denso has a manufacturer in China, it will be made with Denso standard of quality control.

It is not the country who made it but the spec and the quality control of the product itself.

Besides, air filter is not really rocket science, it is NOT a mechanically moving parts.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Denso products coming out of China are made with same Denso quality. Top notch filter products. Been using them for fifty three years when company was Nippon=Denso. Some may remember that brand.

That may be true, but the Japanese are still at the forefront of quality in manufacturing(all started with Dr. Edward's Deming). I need to compare the Toyota/Lexus OEM made in Japan I suppose.

I realize China is capable of producing great products (there are tiers of quality just like any other country), but again Japan sourced stuff is preferred. I just don't like false economy. So if there isn't a difference I'm good with that. It's a world economy after all. Thanks for all the input guys!

Last edited:
I noticed the Chinese Denso made genuine Toyota oil filter is a [censored] of a lot lighter than the equivalent Blue Print filter
confused.gif

I took the air filter out of my 2020 Tundra yesterday to confirm the part number for later ordering. Interestingly enough it said Toyota Denso made in USA on it.

Back