Delo 400 Multigrade 15w40 DHDEO (Chevron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never forget riding my mates RZ500 back in 1985 when I had the FZ750. Now the FZ was a geat handling bike, but the RZ felt even smaller, sitting on top a little more and that two stroke power and smell made you feel like you were in a GP race.

Man that Two Stroke Shop is killing me.

Hey, they're in Australia, lucky for me. Got friends in Cairns, might thaw out from winter for a couple of weeks up there.

Originally Posted By: Craig750
Update for anyone interested. Changed the oil and filter (OEM) at 3,600km. Shifting was noticeably smoother for about 2 full heat cycles on the engine. Shifting now is similar to the changed oil. Still very good, but not silky smooth like brand new oil. The Motul 300V Factory line 15w50 was very similar in behaviour.

My feeling is that msot oils behave this way. If there are any you think don't let me know. I'd be interested to know.

Could it be becuase you're bike is a high reving bike (15,000 rpm) as opposed to my speed triple which is 10,000 rpm max?

So it degrades after 2500km instead of 5000km becuase of the higher reving bike??????

Well that is what a lot seem to say about shearing. I don't know how degraded it was at 3,600km, but I sampled it and may send it away for testing. The new oil is shifting like the used oil after about 160km. So that is probably not a reliable indicator of oil quality.

I use my bike mainly for commuting 80km/day at the moment and it rarely sees over 7,000rpm.

3600km is what????? 10 miles or so.

sometimes shift quality IS and indicator of the oils "new" viscosity and sometimes not. imho, it usually is.

we'll be looking for your report.

and yes, rpm certainly can kill it faster than anything else.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
"i got to sit on one of my all time top bike want list - Suzuki RG500gamma."

One of the hottest production two cycle motorcycles of all time. That and the RZ500 Yamaha are two of my favourites as well.

Check out this outfit:

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/Aprilia_RS500_2008.htm
There is nothing better than the feel and sound of a 2 stroke pulling in its powerband.

Got a hunch about the shift quality. It is winter here and I typically run the bike morning evening for my commute to work. The temps here have been 50 year record lows recently, around 4°C morning start and 6°C evening finish. The coolant runs around 66°C on the highway, 16°C below thermostat temp.

I may try covering half the radiator over to see if I can get the bike to run at correct coolant temperature.

Maybe the oil is running a bit cool and that is affecting it a little.

An update for anyone that is interested.

My hunch was right. The oil must have been running too cold. I have covered about 40% of the radiator area and now it rarely drops to 80°C running around 82°C most of the time with occasional excursions to about 92°C in heavy traffic. Most of the time it is on thermostat temperature or about 4°C over.

The shifting has improved noticeably. With 800km on the oil it almost shifts as good as new oil.

I didn't experience any shifting issues but I noticed that my KLR650 temperature gauge would barely move from the lower end of the temperature gauge when riding in cool temps (4C to 15C). I did the same thing by blocking a part of the radiator. The temperature gauge registered into the normal range after that. I was breaking the engine in at the time and wanted it to be at proper operating temps hence the radiator cover. Now, I don't bother. The bike runs and shifts the same whether in the upper or lower temperature range on the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back