Defeated by roll pin

Lawn boy 10685 approx. 15 years old. Grinding from self propelled gearing on rear axle. Check YouTube on removing and replacing the gears.
Came apart ok but unable to remove drive pin holding gear to rear axle. Disassemble rear further and put axle on the vise. No luck. Liquid wrench, let soak overnight, buy new set of punches. No luck. I counted 50 blows with a 2 lb mini sledge hammer and punch....would not budge. This assembly has lived in grease it's entire life...never dry.

Counted 100 blows with a small ball peen hammer and punch. No good. Finally hit it with the ball peen and no punch and could drive it flush but no further using any combination of punches and hammers. You could see the liquid wrench "sink" around the pin but it simply would not budge. Gave up and put it on the bench grinder and ground it and the gear down about 1/8 inch. Ground so slick you could hardly see the pin. More liquid wrench, punch, and hammer.....nothing.....
I don't think I learned anything......just a disappointing experience..🦨🦨

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Sounds like it might be heat wrench time...

Yes , what I was thinking . Torch .

I had a similar experience with a roll pin on a very used Craigslist pallet jack. Defied big hammers and assorted punches. Finally burned it out with a torch and even then it fought the whole way. I still don't have an explanation.

drill a small hole through the middle much smaller than the pin itself to allow it to collapse away from the ID of the hole.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
drill a small hole through the middle much smaller than the pin itself to allow it to collapse away from the ID of the hole.

Bet answer yet. The pin probably got muchroomed on the end, making it nearly impossible to remove.

Be careful drilling it, if you break a bit off in it, it'll be even harder to remove. Mount it in a vise if possible, get it good & hot with a torch, hose down the pin with Deep Creep or similar, start hammering-as long as it's not mushroomed it should come out.

Using a hammer directly without a punch may have mushroomed the ends. Drill with an over size bit to make a sort of countersink.. Use the right size punch. Too small will just swage the pin in tighter

This photo is after I put it on the bench grinder to make sure I had no mushrooming.

[Linked Image]

This is the other side
[Linked Image]

That's a solid pin. Roll pins are hollow. Some sorta spring steel bent into a hollow tube. I would use an under sized but just barely punch and pound the snot out of that pin. At the slightest movement,reverse direction, Rinse and repeat. Please post a follow up.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
That's a solid pin and may have been put in with a shrink fit. They either heat up the assembly before driving a cold pin or they freeze the pin and drive it into an air temp assembly, sometimes they do both.

Below are results from 50 blows with a small sledgehammer and 50 blows with a ball peen hammer. No discernible movement. I’ve ordered a replacement transmission (with gear mounted on axle) and will replace it as a unit.....
I’ll probably try something more drastic in the future unless someone wants it to try themselves.....:cool:

thanks to everyone who responded.......
425F72BA-3F01-43B7-9D00-6BB7FAA16F12.jpeg

Back