Deck spray

So I hate to open a can of worms but lets throw it out there. Has anybody found a under deck spray which actually works? I don't mind applying more than once a year but it would be pointless to require use before each cut. My priority would be combining both decreased build up and hopefully corrosion protection. FWIW this is a 1/4 acre residential application.

I've tried a lot, and nothing that's worth the time. I've tried bed liner coatings, epoxy paints, even graphite ez slide coatings. Nothing holds up to the abusive conditions under the deck.

I wonder if some Wet and Forget would work well under there. Just an idea. Seems to work on so many things for a once a year application.

Originally Posted by Donald
Cut in dry grass is the largest thing you can do.

Definitely. Unfortunately for some reason during the later spring when the grass needs cut almost every 3 days the yard rarely has time to dry fully. I do follow up almost all cuttings with a hose to the underside until the water runs pretty clear but this doesn't really seem to do much.

I'm on my 5th year with a mower I bought new. I religiously rinse it after each mowing. It still has corrosion developing under deck.

Pressure Washer when done mowing. Quick, easy, and works every time.

Actually I enjoy mowing in fall the most, as dry fallen leaves clean the mower deck out for you.

I super cleaned my deck and applied a graphite anti stick paint. I really made no difference. Cut dry for best results.

The best lazy man's deck cleaning method is to run the mower through a pile of leaves. Those leave scrub the underside down to the metal. Unfortunately, that is a fall activity.

Last edited:
fools errand IMHO.....you can spray it with pam cooking spray so nothing sticks....but is that really feasible?

get a deck thick and well built enough that it wont rust through is the most logical solution I can think of. (think fabricated deck, or one of those super thick JD pressed decks)

Even dry grass is 80% water if you have a decent lawn. As others have said the best thing to do is hose it down after every mow so no moisture gets trapped under the stuck on grass.

Originally Posted by Lubener
The best lazy man's deck cleaning method is to run the mower through a pile of leaves. Those leave scrub the underside down to the metal. Unfortunately, that is a fall activity.

That and mowing over a bunch of sweet gum tree balls.

Mine got cut down right after a gum ball sailed out of the mower's discharge chute and put a hole in my vinyl siding.

Back