Decent tire for my wifes Honda Civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, DTD just added the Cooper Evolution Tour to its offerings, it wasn't there yesterday.

I think I will go with the Cooper Evolution Tour.

Does anyone know how it compares to the Yokohama Avid Touring S?

No experience with Cooper ET, but on "DT" site looks like unlike Yoko Avid Touring it comes in H or T rated. H rated costs more than the Yoko, T rated less. Ime, T rated works well on topic vehicle at least in the Yoko. But, that's your call.

One suggestion. If you're going to b&m DT store, buy the tire at the store and give them sale credit especially since they are going to service the tire warranty. Price looks the same whether DT or DTD purchase here anyway. 15% off with DT CC on any of the tires not bad.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I'd suggest checking out Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - very good tire and it's cheap.
Sumi is a reputable company if you didn't know.

We're running these on a Saab 9-3. They're fine; just a little louder than some others.

CR recommends:

RT43 ,80K life, best value
Michelin Defender T+H 90K life, quieter, cost more
Continental TrueContact Tour, 95K life, slightly worse in rain, better in snow. Do you go to Tahoe?

That being said, there are all sorts of rebates during black Friday weekend, so the Michelins or Conti's may be as cheap as the Generals. Get the best tires you can afford, they are a critical safety item for your family. Tires are not a place to economize.

Originally Posted by ThirdeYe
Originally Posted by dubber09
I'd suggest checking out Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 - very good tire and it's cheap.
Sumi is a reputable company if you didn't know.

Had a set of the P01s on a Grand Am and my old Integra, and they were terrible on both cars, especially in the rain and snow. Not sure how much they've improved from the P01 to the P02, but I have to imagine there are better tires out there for the $$ based on my experiences. Swapped them out before they were worn out on my Integra with the Arizonian Silver Editions and it was a night and day difference.

I never had the PO1, but the PO2 were good, especially for the price surprisingly. They were a tad bit loud and rougher than the premium brands but dry and wet performance was good (until the tread went below 4/32, then the wet performance degraded significantly. Snow performance was the most surprising - with snow performance matching that of the Cooper Zeon RS-3A that came OEM with my car.

All in all, performance much better than you'd think coming from a budget brand with NVH being the biggest con. I kind of like them more than my current RT43s when you consider the price difference too.

Last edited:
Some other folks besides me must have thought the Yoko Avid Touring S were a very good deal in the 195/60-15, as of last evening no longer shown on DT/DTD sites. The RT43 not included in the BF promo.

We got a 2003 Civic for a new driver (16) this summer, had some surprisingly good rubber on it.

Caldera "Confidence" from Les Schwab - house brand there I think. just looked at they are $61/ea there for the civic.

I've been driving the car daily for the last 2.5 weeks so as to find any bugs before handing it to him in late december. I'm around Seattle and had occasion to drive it in dry, wet (and VERY wet), freezing temps and on hard frozen dirt (long driveway). It has done well in all conditions; I was leery but have been pleased and have no reason to change them or worry when he drives it full-time (still go this permit, full license after Christmas). I'm picky about tires and these pass the test.

On our lexus we have Cooper C6 Ultra's for the last year. Great, great tire.

As to a deal, forget the tire shops and go to your Ford Dealership, or check them out. Chevy/GM and Ford have had a ~$200 rebate available the last month or two. AND, they will price-match the lowest local price for the tire. I took the every day price for Continental CrossContacts into the local Chevy dealer, they matched it, and will rebate me $200 more. So I will get ~$800 tires installed on my SUV next week for $400, way better tires and cheaper than the best good Black Friday sales I could find. The Chevy deal ended Yesterday and the Ford deal ends tomorrow (12/2).

I had Kumhos and they wore out very quickly, even with my tame driving. Also in the Bay Area and also in a similar vintage Civic. You can also scratch spending more for the Michelin Premier A/S as mine are down to 4/32 after just under 30K miles.

any kumho i've had got noisy very quick and uneven wear beyond anything even the cheap sentury UHP's were better although less treadwear.
the sentury's were quiet and good on my civic si. but yes i had the altimax on our sonata and they were very good too

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
BITOG loves the General Altimax RT43

This.

The RT43 is on my 91 626 and my 98 Sable wagon. Was on the 90 626 till stolen last year. Will one day be on the new 2018 Mazda 3 when it's time comes. Love these tires for the Bay Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back