Decent Handheld Scan Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvl

I'm in the market for a slightly better than average scan tool. I have come across one which was recently released for sale from Equus-Innova. It is the Equus-Innova 3160.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular company? If so, please share!

For $279 this particular unit has the following features:

*Professional OBD2 generic scan tool all 1996 and newer cars, light trucks, and SUVs - domestic, Asian and European Import.
*Diagnoses ABS codes on 1996 and newer GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles.
*Features unique patented all-in-one backlit screen and LED display for quick state emissions readiness check and drive cycle verification.
*Retrieves OEM enhanced and transmission DTCs.
*Communicates with all OBD2 protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area *Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4.
*Provides SAE enhanced live Data - views, records, and plays back* live PCM data streams.
*Displays freeze frame data.
*Includes Spanish and French interface and definitions (selected by a menu command).
*Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: generic codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) / manufacturer specific codes (P1, P3, and U1).
*Unit can be flash updated with a standard Windows PC (OBD-PC Link software required / included with tool).
*Memory / battery backup for off-car review and analysis.
*Comes with access to CanOBD2.com RepairSolutions which gives trouble code definitions, a full diagnostic report, probable causes, most likely fix to DTC's, repair costs and more.
*Bi-directional testing, vehicle I.D. capture and oxygen sensor results

For the price, this appears to do all I need and then some. However, I would like to know if there are any satisfied Equus-Innova users out there ................ doesn't matter which of thier models you have used.

Thanks!

I have this scan tool. For what it is, it is great. I have used it to diagnose several GM's and a few hondas/Toyotas. I have had it for about a year now. No issues and the quality seems to be good. I think its an issue of justifying the cost. I could have just rented one at checkers but thats a PITA and when friends need one I have it.

I got mine on sale for $99.97+tx. It has served me well with no issue, easy to use and read. The cord is long enough for a passenger to do read the tool while doing a road test. I really like the fact that if there is an easy firmware update function, when you hook it up to the computer. I really like this unit!
use with confidence
01.gif

The Innova 3160 is the best deal in the business as far as I can tell, because it can also read the big 3's ABS codes. No other tool can do that for the price, and having used other Innova products I can attest to the ease of use.

I own several scan tools. A GM Tech 2, 2 Auto Xrays, Brainmaster II, Tech I, and an Innova 3110. I grab the innova first because it is sooooo easy to use and even works with the new CAN protocol. Plus, it comes with helpful diagnostic software for your PC where you can hook the tool up to.

So yes, that's a good tool for you and you'll be happy with it. However, you can get it cheaper on eBay.

Nothing beats this:

1225385484968__SnaponDiagno_VerusHandheldDiag_PTEN_0.jpg

grin2.gif

Anyway, most of the low-end code readers do the same thing: they are good at reading generic OBDII codes. But they are very lacking when it comes to functionality as an actual diagnostic tool. The cheap code readers are good for giving you some idea as to what the problem is, but you'll probably need to take it a shop that has a true diagnostic tool (such as the one I have pictured above) for proper troubleshooting.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nothing beats this:

1225385484968__SnaponDiagno_VerusHandheldDiag_PTEN_0.jpg

grin2.gif

Anyway, most of the low-end code readers do the same thing: they are good at reading generic OBDII codes. But they are very lacking when it comes to functionality as an actual diagnostic tool. The cheap code readers are good for giving you some idea as to what the problem is, but you'll probably need to take it a shop that has a true diagnostic tool (such as the one I have pictured above) for proper troubleshooting.

Very true. I work mostly on GM cars and that's why I own the factory tool (tech 2). You can't do much more than code reading and very light diagnostics with the others. The TEch 2 allows me to access modules and do programming and all that is GM specific plus I got an OTC card for other makes/models like Ford, Honda etc. But, when I do work on a non-GM car the others fit the bill 90% of the time.

Critic - what tool is that?? I've been thinking of selling all my scan tools (except the Tech 2!) and upgrading to a tool that does more for the non-GM's. I was considering the OTC Pathfinder buu your's looks much nicer.

The SnapOn Modis only costs 8 grand CDN!!!!

I still use the primitive MT2500 aka "brick" but in time I'll need to update to the new Solus.

I'll use a scope (BEAR 4gas analyser w/ scope) when I look for misfires and efficiency issues. The Scanner helps alot with live data with movies so I can watch and look for sudden changes.

I love it when people talk about scanners/scope. I do not know many techs that personally buy one for 8 grand. Shops will buy them and techs talk as if its their own personal property.

At the moment SnapOn canada will allow you to trade in the mt2500 and you can buy the "new" Solus for $3000. That sounds like a great deal.

The problem with the MT2500 is you must buy a $300 "CAN" cable to slow down the datastream.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Critic - what tool is that?? I've been thinking of selling all my scan tools (except the Tech 2!) and upgrading to a tool that does more for the non-GM's. I was considering the OTC Pathfinder buu your's looks much nicer.

Snap-On Verus.

Only $8895!
shocked2.gif

Thanks to all who replied.

I've made my decision ............. I'm going with the newly released Equus-Innova 3160. I believe it will do what I need and hopefully more. The specifications look great and it does include ABS functionality. It's also comforting to hear there are other satisfied Innova fans out there!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Snap-On Verus.

Only $8895!
shocked2.gif

Gee and I thought the nearly 3k for the Tech 2 was high! If that tool has all the factory specific info, can do all the same tests as the factory tool and program modules for all different makes than that actually is a great price. If you had to by the tools all seperately you'd be over 25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back