Dealer Oil Change

The VW dealer charges my wife $95 for VW 503 and 6-7 quarts of oil every 10k. The only "cheap" service is tire rotation for $20 additional.

Dealer chicanery in substituting lesser oil than what's stated on the invoice is fraud. No reputable dealer would be dumb enough to risk their business and criminal charges. Furthermore, more than one person would have to be complicit; not the least of which would be the technician. Not going to happen.

Have your oil changed at the dealer with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by GoldDot40
See....the problem about people spreading false information about "I heard it's done this way or that way"....when you totally don't even know the facts because it's 2nd and 3rd hand information. The danger is that some gullible people out there will believe it.

My 1st job ever was at a dealership. After that, I worked in and managed "quick lubes" for nearly 13 years. I have never seen, heard of, or known of ANY service facilities to mix used oil with new bulk oil. Such allegations are absurd in my opinion.

Sadly, this is typical of the internet.... Someone here will have read that ridiculous comment above and spread it and someone else will see it and spread it and there we go. Before long, enough people will have "heard" it that many will accept it as fact.

What's not factual about it? I gave you FIRST HAND experience...not hearsay. I don't spread speculation.

Originally Posted by ndfergy
Dealer chicanery in substituting lesser oil than what's stated on the invoice is fraud. No reputable dealer would be dumb enough to risk their business and criminal charges. Furthermore, more than one person would have to be complicit; not the least of which would be the technician. Not going to happen.

Nope.

I've seen this kind of thing at many stores I worked at, 99.98% of customers never know or are wiser, there are exceptions though like at VW back in the early 2000s where VW shops in the USA were using dino bulk oil in the turbo charged engines which required VW certified oil specs and the end result was engine damage that the dealers had to pay for, and VWoA investigated and found MANY stores KNOWINGLY putting bulk dino in these engines for a long time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by ndfergy

Nope.

I've seen this kind of thing at many stores I worked at, 99.98% of customers never know or are wiser, there are exceptions though like at VW back in the early 2000s where VW shops in the USA were using dino bulk oil in the turbo charged engines which required VW certified oil specs and the end result was engine damage that the dealers had to pay for, and VWoA investigated and found MANY stores KNOWINGLY putting bulk dino in these engines for a long time.

VW has made a bit of a reputation of not playing by the rules. I saw some shady stuff at the Chrysler dealership I worked at too that would make you cringe.

When you pay someone to change your oil and filter, the only way to know it was changed is to get under the car, check to see if a new filter is installed, pull the dipstick and make sure the oil is clean.

Other then that, there is no way to know what type of oil it is.

This is simple stuff people. Some employees, believe it or not, are lazy. It is very possible if they think they can get away with not changing the oil, they will go have a smoke instead.
I know, even though I normally changed my daughters oil when she was in college, one day I was working, she was back from college for the weekend. I told my wife to take the car to Sears for an oil change.
This was maybe just 6 years ago. Together they went to Sears, left the car and entered the mall for shopping. They then picked up the car and headed home, I already was off from work.

First thing I did was look at the receipt, then did my due diligence and went out to the car, pulled the dipstick and NOPE, oil was black, looked under the car and NOPE oil filter wasn't changed.

My wife was in shock (she thinks I have a sixth sense for this stuff, I do) We drove the car back to Sears, manager came out, said to me no way, I saw him with the car on the rack, he had me bring the car in, all the mechanics came to the car, pulled the dipstick, looked at the oil filter, said NOPE, the guy didn't change the oil, one of them offered that the car was on the lift and he thinks the guy then hung out behind the building for a smoke.

Not everyone in this world is honest and some think if they can get away with it, they will take a short cut. If you or your family members get regular oil changes, do your due diligence and at least check and make sure new oil and filter is in place. MANY years ago my friend quit an independent, he worked in a car shop, as a kid at the time, he ended up quitting because he felt uncomfortable, boss told him to wipe down the oil filter and make it look new when a lady brought her car in, stuff like that.

Simple stuff but just like a few employees the owners are lazy and dont check the work. So where is the incentive for the worker?

By the way I do agree a dealer is safer and also many quick lube places but bottom line is, there is good and bad in this world, we want to trust everyone but that is naive and in most cases I would say it is more of a worker goofing off then the business itself cheating, except maybe when it comes to the conventional vs paying extra for synthetic, I would guess that is much more prevalent, also, if the place is out of your filter, well, I doubt they are going to run to AutoZone and get one. :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

By the way I do agree a dealer is safer and also many quick lube places but bottom line is, there is good and bad in this world, we want to trust everyone but that is naive and in most cases I would say it is more of a worker goofing off then the business itself cheating, except maybe when it comes to the conventional vs paying extra for synthetic, I would guess that is much more prevalent, also, if the place is out of your filter, well, I doubt they are going to run to AutoZone and get one. :eek:)

Sorry, but it isn't just the odd lazy worker not doing the work. Many of the shop owners and managers actually encourage this kind of activity in the business, it is a industry wide problem and has been for many decades! It never changes because the consumers aren't wise enough to know what to look for MOST OF THE TIME. I can't imagine the amount of theft resulting from the wholesale defrauding of customers, it must be incredible amounts of money.

I've taken my car to a number of dealerships and indeed the oil wasn't changed nor the filter replaced, but I'll tell you would I ever go back there? Not on your life, it's an invitation for other problems to be created, if you have a bad experience by all means call them and tell them, and sure you can do the face to face, but do NOT let them put their hands on your car ever again.

Last edited:
my friend has a Toyota landcruiser that had a mandatory dealer only oil chang e till warranty was up. well warranty was up and he went to change the oil and struggled to get the oil cartridge cover off. finally he got it off and found a black gooey mess inside full of sludge. evidently the dealer had changed the oil but never the filter. who knows how long he had been driving it in bypass mode

See....the problem about people spreading false information about "I heard it's done this way or that way"....when you totally don't even know the facts because it's 2nd and 3rd hand information. The danger is that some gullible people out there will believe it.

My 1st job ever was at a dealership. After that, I worked in and managed "quick lubes" for nearly 13 years. I have never seen, heard of, or known of ANY service facilities to mix used oil with new bulk oil. Such allegations are absurd in my opinion.

Sadly, this is typical of the internet.... Someone here will have read that ridiculous comment above and spread it and someone else will see it and spread it and there we go. Before long, enough people will have "heard" it that many will accept it as fact.

What's not factual about it? I gave you FIRST HAND experience...not hearsay. I don't spread speculation.

Not sure what you're talking about, I was agreeing with you.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
OP - If its $95 for synthetic that is really not too terrible and if synthetic I could see how they were losing their behinds before when it was $55-65. If that's the price for a dino oil then yeah its a total money grab. Didn't Toyota switch to 0W-20 synthetic required quite a few years back?

Losing their behinds? I'd guess about breaking even. But like Black Friday, being the first stop to tell you your brakes need replacing, brake fluid flush, coolant change, etc. So their net result for treating you well was all the other profitable business.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
feel like an actuary created them and they're profitable.

Services sold to customers need to be profitable. Can't make it up on volume if you are losing money every time you provide a service.

Duh. I'm not a moron. I'm saying if they can sell me 5 for $56 each in a package of 5, but charge me $95 one at a time, and make me use the 5 in two years, it's an actuary knowing x% won't use 5 in two years so they'll get easy money. Also, for the "average" driver, changing 5 times in two years is unnecessary given a 10k change interval. So, all around, it's a smoke and mirrors job. And probably bad for the environment. A customer centered approach would be a frequent service card or something. Reward repeat customers, not play the odds against them.

Originally Posted by super20dan
my friend has a Toyota landcruiser that had a mandatory dealer only oil chang e till warranty was up. well warranty was up and he went to change the oil and struggled to get the oil cartridge cover off. finally he got it off and found a black gooey mess inside full of sludge. evidently the dealer had changed the oil but never the filter. who knows how long he had been driving it in bypass mode

This happens ALL the time in the business. Not isolated at all. It is a plague upon the industry and they wonder why consumers always believe they are not only being cheated and ripped off but their cars are also being damaged due to the neglect as well.

AC1 and the others, nice to see the "validation" here I thought I would be pulling teeth/accused of lying about my Sears story of them charging and not changing my daughters oil and the following posts were more of the same from others.
Very cool, the world has not changed, bottom line, if you trust these places to do the right thing, many but by all means not all, will cheat you. You know, we are all grown ups and some people to me, just have their heads in a cloud unable to understand the purpose of confirming work that you pay people do to by checking on the work and validating that it is done.

Its pretty much why to this day that I do my own oil changes and do my own brakes, its just easier, less hassle, cheaper, better, you know its done right, PLUS faster. dont have to lose the car/truck for the day.

Last edited:

Not sure what you're talking about, I was agreeing with you.

It read as if you said my comment was ridiculous. My bad if I comprehended incorrectly. Carry on.

Pay to play or shop around is really the only choice you have. Arguing with a business on what you think you should be charged is wasted breath. It is also not rocket surgery that them charging a cheaper rate for prepaid services is based on them pooling you with everybody else who bought the same service and a certain percentage will never use all the visits and that money goes into the dealers pocket. Hence the cheaper per visit rate for you.

A $30 delta for cost is not that much in having a dealership documented services versus having a indy doing it if the unfortunate event a warranty concern happens and proving correct maintenance was done.

Teach your son / daughter or grandson / granddaughter how to do it and spend time having fun and bonding as a family doing this work.
My 7 months old grandson was very fascinated last weekend watching all the shiny tools and colorful bottles I was handling while working on daughter's car. I'm gonna prime him early, as soon as he can be helpful.
Son in law was hunting at the time so we get some good meat treat
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm not allowed to enter the work area and see the oil and filter changed in my new Toyota and Honda. From now on, at my next new car purchase I'm going to pay an indie shop or the gas station to do the work while I'm watching. So I'll know it was done right.

Originally Posted by berniedd
I'm not allowed to enter the work area and see the oil and filter changed in my new Toyota and Honda. From now on, at my next new car purchase I'm going to pay an indie shop or the gas station to do the work while I'm watching. So I'll know it was done right.

Have you asked these dealerships WHY you can't peek in the shop and see the work being done?

More often than not they don't want you to see because they are taking your money and not doing ANY work at all, unless it is something that results in the car not functioning or critical like brakes, which they WILL usually do right.

Back