Dashcam direct wire question

Bought a cheap dashcam on Amazon and I want to hard wire it so when the car starts, it turns on. I neatly tucked the wire down towards the front passenger kick-panel which has plenty of electrical options. I found a few wires that give 12-14v when the car has the key turned on and some only energized when the car is started. This dashcam is only using 1-2 watts of power (tested with an in line USB tester). That is so low I can tap into just about anything right?

Untitled7.jpg

Why not use a fuse tap instead of tapping into random wires?

Example:

Thanks, I didn't know such a thing existed. In my case these are mini fuses but found mini ones on Amazon for $8. I will rig something up in the mean time so I can put the car back together.

You can buy the whole dash cam wiring kit that includes 4 different fuse taps for about the same money as just the tap. Amazon has several to choose from. I got one to wire mine, works excellent.

Do you have an Amazon link for the cam you purchased? Thank you.

It was $29 after coupon. It's okay, image isn't amazing but it still records @ 1080. This is in my wife's van. I'll maybe spend $50 or so for my vehicle eventually.

Example:

This is how I wired up my dash cam. Ran the wire up the driver side inside door opening and then over to the middle and mounted the camera just to the right of center.

I wouldn't tap into "just anything" as you could blow a fuse for a mission critical thing and strand yourself.

I like tapping into the heated seats fuse if available. It's only on with ignition on, and cuts out during starting. The fuse is usually a nice fat 20 amps too.

This is how I wired up my dash cam. Ran the wire up the driver side inside door opening and then over to the middle and mounted the camera just to the right of center.
Yes, this is what I went with but a mini version

I wouldn't tap into "just anything" as you could blow a fuse for a mission critical thing and strand yourself.

I like tapping into the heated seats fuse if available. It's only on with ignition on, and cuts out during starting. The fuse is usually a nice fat 20 amps too.
That would be a good idea but not sure if the heated seats are powered from the passenger side where I ran my wire. Will the heated seats run if the car isn't started?

Make sure you verify what voltage the dash cam runs at. Even though the car supplies 12v the camera may only need 5v and it will not function properly at 12v

Make sure you verify what voltage the dash cam runs at. Even though the car supplies 12v the camera may only need 5v and it will not function properly at 12v
Yep, I used a small buck converter and 3D printed a case for it.
Screenshot_125.jpg

Example:

Because it's often a mess having your fuse box cover off to fit that and having the stress/vibration from it and the wire coming off.

Rather than tapping into "some random wire", get a wiring diagram so you know what you're tapping into, and put a fuse in series right after the tap, much smaller (current rating) than the fuse on the circuit being tapped into. You could still be conservative and make it 500mA or 1A, more than enough for the cam but way below what the upstream fuse is going to be.

Otherwise yes you can tap into just about anything with it at 2W or less, but I'd get the wiring diagrams, AND in some cases vehicles have fuse box locations that aren't even being used so (assuming there is a contact in that position or if not you can salvage one from a box at a junkyard) you can use that fuse box locaton for the fuse and the tap, pretty much like the manufacturer did for everything else running from that fuse box.

Back