[Cut Open] FRAM Ultra XG7317 (6230 miles)

Not much to see here except I mangled it getting it out of the can.

This is a good example of why I dislike the thick grippy coating that prevents use of the Honda cup wrench.

I didn't realize it was an ultra before I had opened the new filter or i'd have likely left it on there.

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of car was it used on? What kind of oil did you use? What did you replace it with?
smile.gif

Can't you unscrew it by hand?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

What kind of car was it used on? What kind of oil did you use? What did you replace it with?
smile.gif

Can't you unscrew it by hand?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Ignatius
She's a beauty. What car/engine did you have this on? Was it located in a position difficult to remove by hand?

It is a 1996 Acura RL (Honda Legend outside NA) it's a Honda C35A (3.5 V6, but not J series). The oil was M1 5/30 EP HM.

The filter can be tightened by hand to 3/4 turn after gasket contact, but is difficult to grip to remove. It's surrounded approximately 2/3 by engine oil pan and so forth. I resorted to one of those 3 prong affairs to remove it which crushed the can. It's an absolute piece of cake to put on and remove with a cap wrench.

A Mahle Tennex Honda filter and more EP HM went on/in.

Does the Fram Ultra have different center tubes, depending on model? I looked at a few different Ultras this week and the center tube holes were designed differently

Was this one purchased a while back? Maybe old stock?

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
That black goop Fram started using does not play well with cap wrenches.

That's one of the things I personally don't like about the Fram Ultra. It makes for a PITA to remove it. I wish it was a solid can.

Originally Posted by 77Se7en
Does the Fram Ultra have different center tubes, depending on model? I looked at a few different Ultras this week and the center tube holes were designed differently.

Different how? The Ultras I've seen all have holes.

I did a calculation of the total flow area of the center tube holes on the Ultra I use, and it was more than the total area of the main oil gallery hole where the filter mounts. I highly doubt Fram is going to overlook such a basic part of an oil filter design.

Shape and size of the holes.
Walmart ones I looked at yesterday don't have those holes or innards design.

Had the 9688s looked like that, I would have purchased it. That's what got me wondering if the center tubes are different on some models. The tube on this one pictured looks similar to the Fram Titanium 9688 I looked at today. But the $14.99 price sent me out the exit door quickly. The 9688 Titanium center tube was different than the 9688 Fram Force tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an older filter.

I'll try to remember to compare it to the Titanium and get the date code off of it. It has stickers VS the painted logo.

The Ultra's I've seen at Walmart all have sealing tape over the lids. I won't buy one if its been broken, no matter what is inside.

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Can't see the pictures.

In place is, [Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

I think that must be a setting on your end.

I cannot find the date code. I even peeled the label. I do recall they were laser etched lightly during this time period, but even under bright light and magnification no sign of it.

Back