Creative/useful Single-DIN replacement drawers, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am finally replacing an older OE stereo. It came as a dual-single DIN installation - head unit above and CD changer below. I no longer need the CD changer and can do whatever with that single DIN slot. I have seen blank trays, pull-out drawers, cup-holders, etc. Any really other good ideas out there, new products or ideas?

Only limit is it's blocked pretty much by the gear shift when in park, so a pull-out of any type would need to keep that in mind.

Thanks for ideas...

Bosch is selling cheaper 3 gauge packs that would work for that dash filler too. Or maybe a pocket for your phone with 2 USB sockets?

If possible, I would install a double-DIN head unit to replace the factory one. I installed a Pioneer touchscreen in my truck and I'm loving it. The touchscreen makes navigating menus easier, gives you something nice to look at, and you can hook up a back-up camera (which I did).
[Linked Image from images.crutchfieldonline.com]

Originally Posted by Audios
Bosch is selling cheaper 3 gauge packs that would work for that dash filler too. Or maybe a pocket for your phone with 2 USB sockets?
If you put your phone there it flies out under moderate cornering. I've had two cars with a cubby there and it is no bueno for heavy items.

You can get a double-din CarPlay/Android Auto capable deck for $300ish these days.

Most aftermarket kits do include a pocket for single-din installs. If you're creative with PVC or ABS plastic the possibilities are endless.

There's also single-din CB radios too, if you go off-roading a lot, it'd be stupid not to have one as it's the only thing that works where cell phones don't.

Originally Posted by nthach

There's also single-din CB radios too, if you go off-roading a lot, it'd be stupid not to have one as it's the only thing that works where cell phones don't.

Not able to change to double DIN; they are slightly offset. I mean, I COULD but I'd have to hack/shim/create a trim panel for the bottom. I'm not THAT into it though I agree a double DIN could be more practical these days.

I like the CB idea. I do go once in a while out of cell phone range around here. Not a lot, but a few times a year. I also have a spare antenna mount on my fender. I have both an in-window antenna for the radio, and I have a fender-mount mast antenna that is not connected to anything.

The reason I made this post is what people have pointed out - a simple "blank" cubby, things are going to fly out/slide out. A drawer unit, which would be great, would be inaccessible in Park and it would be annoying to not be able to open it w/o a key and stepping on the brake to shift if the vehicle isn't in motion. I had thought about instruments, but it's down low and you wouldn't be able to see them well. I did add an aftermarket GlowShift Trans Temp gauge a few years ago and put it in an A-pillar pod and like that.

I'm going to look how much a single-DIN CB costs and think about that - interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back