Crashed Badly, Probably Done Riding Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
A few things that won't happen on a Harley. Wheelie's,Stoppies, or 0-60 speeds in 3 seconds or less. Doing the Tail of the dragon in record time. Or fitting thru space's in traffic, less then 2 1/2 feet wide. Things happen on the road that sometimes come up too fast to observe, figure out a plan of attack, and execute that plan, before it all goes bad. Like leaning over into a curve then come up on a pothole with gravel right where your about to ride. Not much you can do at that point but to hold on and hope for the best. Sometimes you eat the Bear, sometimes the Bear eats you.,,,

Ride a sport bike in a sane manner and the chances of crashing due to poor handling or brakes goes way down. Lots of Harley guys crash because the bikes are big and heavy, and don't handle and brake very well in an emergency situation.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
........I always knew why I crashed, and each crash made me a better rider......3 were lowsides caused by gravel in a corner......

You kinda hard-headed, ain't ya?

laugh.gif

Eh, it happens from time to time when you ride fast on the street and corner hard. Those 3 get-offs happened years apart on different roads in 3 different states (1 in Tennessee, 1 in Arkansas, 1 in Mississippi). In 2 of thode I barely had a scratch on me because I was wearing my gear. In one, I had on a jacket but just jeans. In that one, I got some road rash on my right knee.

Luckily an 80,000 lb 18 wheeler wasn't behind and ran you over.

Well update is I had the 2nd surgery on the 13th, the erecter set was removed from left leg below knee and a splint installed after surgery. 24th went to follow-up and splint removed and one of those black fracture boots put on but won't be weight bearing for about another month yet. At least I can take it off to air the leg out some and to wash it. Have stainless steel plate maybe 8 inches long with a bunch of screws securing it on the inboard above ankle and then a long screw from the bottom up in the opposite (outboard) ankle. Arm is putting new bone into the break based on xrays from the 24th as well. Still in the neck c-collar another month as well and perhaps the collar is the most annoying part.

On riding there is a tiny spark in me that doesn't want to quit for love of the hobby. But the reality of being dazed and hurt bad in a rural ditch all alone near sunset with not much daylight left, as well as being told in the ER that my brain was bleeding... well those realities/memories are still very vivid. As well as the "oh [censored]" moment when the saw the chaff and had to react and how in what seemed like a split second it was a done deal-- all that is still for now extinguishing that spark for riding.

I really enjoy riding but I only do it as a hobby. I know a crash like yours would also be the end of my riding career.

What people don't seem to understand is that there are some situations that you can't train for or avoid. If an oncoming car blows a tire and darts into your lane at 60mph your done, there is no time to react.

Originally Posted By: JoelB
I really enjoy riding but I only do it as a hobby. I know a crash like yours would also be the end of my riding career.

What people don't seem to understand is that there are some situations that you can't train for or avoid. If an oncoming car blows a tire and darts into your lane at 60mph your done, there is no time to react.

Same thing could happen in a car. Head-on collisions are no good no matter if you're on a bike or driving a car.

Originally Posted By: JoelB

EVERY
Motorcyclist I know understands that. You can train until you are an expert. Your ability and situational awareness can be beyond reproach, and horrible things can still happen.

Life is full of risk. Unless we want to spend our life in a padded rubber room, we will encounter risk. So we all have to decide the level of risk we can accept.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Well update is I had the 2nd surgery on the 13th, the erecter set was removed from left leg below knee and a splint installed after surgery. 24th went to follow-up and splint removed and one of those black fracture boots put on but won't be weight bearing for about another month yet. At least I can take it off to air the leg out some and to wash it. Have stainless steel plate maybe 8 inches long with a bunch of screws securing it on the inboard above ankle and then a long screw from the bottom up in the opposite (outboard) ankle. Arm is putting new bone into the break based on xrays from the 24th as well. Still in the neck c-collar another month as well and perhaps the collar is the most annoying part.

On riding there is a tiny spark in me that doesn't want to quit for love of the hobby. But the reality of being dazed and hurt bad in a rural ditch all alone near sunset with not much daylight left, as well as being told in the ER that my brain was bleeding... well those realities/memories are still very vivid. As well as the "oh [censored]" moment when the saw the chaff and had to react and how in what seemed like a split second it was a done deal-- all that is still for now extinguishing that spark for riding.

If the spark is there now, I suspect you will be back on two wheels shortly after you are able. I thought I would wait until this spring to decide if I would get another bike after I totaled my Speed Triple last August. I only made it half way through September before I bought a new Versys 650. It corrected the things I disliked about the Speed Triple (total lack of wind protection, limited fuel range, and premium fuel) while offering a level of performance I could enjoy, but still keep it in my pants. I only had a concussion and some sore muscles, but waking up in a ditch with no idea where you are or how you got there will definately lead one to introspection. The deciding factor for me was acknowledging it was solely my behavior (way, way too fast coming out of a curve and hitting a patch of asphalt colored gravel) that caused the crash. Of course, suffering some pretty severe injuries adds more factors to the decision.

If you can, try not to dwell on it, heal up, and let some time pass. You'll make the right decision for yourself when the time comes.

Been there, it hurts bad and still hurts today.

Been riding since I been 7 and wrecked bad at 32 on my ZX11. Some GTCF in my lane with a horse trailer in the mountains. I went off into the jack pines off the side of the road into the arms of a tree and tumbled down into a stream. Broke leg, shoulder and crushed a low vertebrae.

50 now and that one still hurts today- I still ride, but in the dirt now.

May end up with a dual sport, but big bore street bikes and I are done.

UD

I have always had a gift for two riding on two wheels and for that reason I have never bought a bike. I know I would get hurt or worse eventually, I would be too comfortable with the edge.

Hope you get back to 100%. I guess I would be asking myself if all your riding time was worth what you're going through (and putting others through) and will continue to go through. If it is, get another bike. If not, don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back