Craftsman to be made in the USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoorah!

Link to report

01.gif

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Who will be selling it ?

Wonder if the quality will compare to my old Craftsman tools ?

Good question. I think the last series of made in USA Craftsman tools were pretty much junk, at least the ratchet wrenches were. But good that they're giving it a try again.

Wonder how quality and price will compare to good made in USA tools such as Wright.

That's good news … I read a few of the comments and like always they mentioned things not relative since not a single tool from this plant has been used …

Stanley is going to build a new factory to make these ? Don't they have existing facilities in the US already that they could use ? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this potential growth but on the other hand, this can take time.... and decisions could change....

Interesting quote from the article
They also say that production costs will be "in line" with the tools currently being made in China.

Awesome.
Not sure where my 80's Craftsman 3/" and 1/2" ratchet wrenches were made, but they're still going strong, just had to rebuild the 3/8" once and the kit was free from Sears.

More factories/plants being opened in the past couple yrs than in 2008 - 2016 combined. The economy is doing very well lately.

Seems we're making America manufacture again.
34.gif

A manufacturer gets a little patriotic finally, good news. I bought some Craftsman screwdrivers at Ace Hardware, made in USA, inexpensive and nice, before 2017. They still have them. So they have been moving towards this for awhile. Nice to see I may be able to get new USA tools again in a few years if I need to replace my USA Craftsman.

If they could start making power tools to fight China labor costs it would be great. So tired of seeing every power tool made in PRC.

Who will be selling it ?

I was just in Lowes and they have a big Craftsman section now. Checked a few of the hand tools out and they where all china.

Glad I don't need any new tools.

Who will be selling it ?

Ace Hardware is selling Craftsman tools too-I had a conversation with the owner of my local Ace, he said that he would honor the lifetime warranty on any Craftsman hand tool that I brought in. I have quite a few, probably 40 years' worth!

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I had a conversation with the owner of my local Ace, he said that he would honor the lifetime warranty on any Craftsman hand tool that I brought in. I have quite a few, probably 40 years' worth!

Do they have a choice ? I'd suspect that that's part of the agreement to sell Craftsman tools - they honor the lifetime warranty. It's almost no skin off their back either. They will get credit for the tool they hand back to the customer. Now granted, they may have bought that tool for $10 and would sell it for $20 and in this case, they will only be reimbursed $10. Other than their "time", they don't "lose" money.

Craftsman has been completely utterly dead to me for the past 5-6 years. I haven't bought a single Craftsman tool once they moved off shore. If the new Made in America tools are decent quality, with decent reviews, then I will once again spend money on Craftsman tools. This is fantastic news, and I'm sure a LOT of tool buyers will be glad to see Made in USA stamped on the Craftsman tools again, as it should be.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
If they could start making power tools to fight China labor costs it would be great. So tired of seeing every power tool made in PRC.
Dwalt has some that isn't along with Festool. There may be others but will depend upon which power tools. It would be nice if Craftsman would do this, I agree.

Sears … the little home town (low overhead) stores are still hanging in there …

Great news. Hopefully the quality is what I'm expecting of American made tools, and the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back