Craftsman to be made in the USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bubbatime
I haven't bought a single Craftsman tool once they moved off shore.

Last Craftsman tool(s) I bought were a low-cost set of pliers, side cutter, etc. They're the Evolv brand from Sears and for my usage, they're fine but I kinda look around for replacements. I was even looking at some sold by HF now (one of their newer brands although I'm not sure 100% sure where they're made).

Originally Posted by Trav
That is great! Hopefully they make a decent tool again for a fair price, not cheap mind you but mid price range.
I want something US made that I can destroy at work or lose in the scrapyard and not worry about. They need to be priced competitively to Taiwanese tools; that's pretty much what the Craftsman market was: more than adequate for DIY use, good enough for professionals. If their prices are SK level, they will be a hard sell to anyone other than COO freaks and nostalgics.

I've seen Craftsman at Lowes, and I think Rona carries them as well. I will be buying the US made stuff as soon as it becomes available!

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Trav
That is great! Hopefully they make a decent tool again for a fair price, not cheap mind you but mid price range.
I want something US made that I can destroy at work or lose in the scrapyard and not worry about. They need to be priced competitively to Taiwanese tools; that's pretty much what the Craftsman market was: more than adequate for DIY use, good enough for professionals. If their prices are SK level, they will be a hard sell to anyone other than COO freaks and nostalgics.

I've seen Craftsman at Lowes, and I think Rona carries them as well. I will be buying the US made stuff as soon as it becomes available!

I can assure you they won't be priced at SK levels.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Great news. Hopefully the quality is what I'm expecting of American made tools, and the price is right.

I agree, i don't mind paying more at all , as long as the quality is there. I'd like nothing better than to be able to buy the quality craftsman used to be. I just hope its not the current quality with a higher price and a usa stamp.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
More jobs coming back to America gee how did that ever happen.

LOL! I'll stick with my older SK tools and ancient craftsman stuff grandpa gave me

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Stanley is going to build a new factory to make these ? Don't they have existing facilities in the US already that they could use ? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this potential growth but on the other hand, this can take time.... and decisions could change....

Interesting quote from the article
They also say that production costs will be "in line" with the tools currently being made in China.

Sounds to me like the factory will be automated, and the higher costs of existence in the USA are probably offset by lower shipping and distribution costs.

Whether they have a facility or not, given the stores that are selling them, and the likelihood of bringing back disenfranchised customers (like me) who haven't bought their stuff in a while, I'm sure they can count on a reasonable roi.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Stanley is going to build a new factory to make these ? Don't they have existing facilities in the US already that they could use ? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for this potential growth but on the other hand, this can take time.... and decisions could change....

They also say that production costs will be "in line" with the tools currently being made in China.

Sounds to me like the factory will be automated, and the higher costs of existence in the USA are probably offset by lower shipping and distribution costs.

Whether they have a facility or not, given the stores that are selling them, and the likelihood of bringing back disenfranchised customers (like me) who haven't bought their stuff in a while, I'm sure they can count on a reasonable roi.

thumbsup2.gif
They might win some of my business back too. I'm looking forward to their US made tools again.

Automated equipment shifts the work to the maintenance team. Once trained internally (training facility bought with initial Capex) … even US techs on a decent wage will likely cost less than the OEM's rep who you might have to fly in from Germany etc … so you limit what kind of work they are called in for …

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by JHZR2

thumbsup2.gif
They might win some of my business back too. I'm looking forward to their US made tools again.

I really hope the quality its above what they sell now.

Stanley B&D building a 425,000 sq ft. Manufacturing facility in Ft. Worth, TX for Craftsman tools. Near a 1mil. Sq ft distribution facility. Maybe the quality will return to what it was before Sears tanked the brand to compete with Harbor Frieght and your local swap meet. 🇺🇸

Last edited:
Made in the USA is no guarantee of quality. Good wrench steel properly heattreated is expensive, we have low grades of steel here too.
The mantra of costs, we must cut costs, at all cost, all the time, along with defending from takeovers is the USA's biggest problem.
I do wish craftsman would bring back the classic round head pushbutton fine tooth ratchet, if they haven't, I never go in there now so I do not know.

Rod

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Which one? Stanley or Sears? Good question. Stanley survived and Sears has one foot in the grave

Yes and the other foot on a banana peel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back