Costco Car Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
TiredTrucker,

I agree, it's just a vehicle and dealer is not doing you a favor selling it to you. Online you can find the same vehicle at 5 different dealers in your area.

You have an ‘out the door' price in your head and that's all you're willing to pay (even used vehicle).

I don't know how places like CarMax stays in business with non negotiable prices.

It's easy. You walk in, they ask if you have an appointment or need help, you tell them "we're just looking" and they'll say "okay, let us know if you want to go for a test drive in anything!" and you're free to walk around the lot by yourself. All the cars are unlocked, the price is very visible, and they don't play any games in financing. Even doing most of the stuff online, I still spent way more time at the dealer buying our van than I did buying the 300 from Carmax, or my Kia.

I call it a convenience tax, and it's one I'll gladly pay within reason. Much like the Toyota Tax, you pay a little more to not deal with any issues.

TiredTrucker,

I agree, it's just a vehicle and dealer is not doing you a favor selling it to you. Online you can find the same vehicle at 5 different dealers in your area.

You have an ‘out the door' price in your head and that's all you're willing to pay (even used vehicle).

I don't know how places like CarMax stays in business with non negotiable prices.

HM-because in surveys people would rather have a tooth pulled than go car shopping? The car buying process-90% of the time is adversarial and time consuming. (Which is why CostCos program is popular). You can buy a car at CarMax in a fraction of the time-without (negotiating ) issues. Their optional warranty is the best in the business. There is a REAL THREAD over on a BMW forum how Carmax paid for an engine replacement at a BMW dealership because they wouldn't work on that particular car.
i haven't purchased from them-but I know plenty who have.

Last edited:
TiredTrucker,

Carmax thrives because the age old business model of dealerships is hated by millions of people. With good reason. Some people have no problem dealing with car sales people. I know a guy that sets the rules from the beginning. He says he will only deal with one person. The minute they pull the talk to my manager routine, he walks. Car buying services are attractive to folks that hate spending time shopping for their cars.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
TiredTrucker,

It's easy. You walk in, they ask if you have an appointment or need help, you tell them "we're just looking" and they'll say "okay, let us know if you want to go for a test drive in anything!" and you're free to walk around the lot by yourself. All the cars are unlocked, the price is very visible, and they don't play any games in financing. Even doing most of the stuff online, I still spent way more time at the dealer buying our van than I did buying the 300 from Carmax, or my Kia.

I call it a convenience tax, and it's one I'll gladly pay within reason. Much like the Toyota Tax, you pay a little more to not deal with any issues.

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back