Costco Battery Warranty Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty sad to read the garbage that many of you grown males actually type out.

You seem to think that someone else needs to pay for a product that you will use, return stating it's "bad" and you magically get a free one again. Repeat the cycle.

You marvelous individuals are the REASON the policy changed. You've been scamming the rest of us that don't play stupid games. Costco should ban you from the stores....

It's pretty sad to read the garbage that many of you grown males actually type out.

You seem to think that someone else needs to pay for a product that you will use, return stating it's "bad" and you magically get a free one again. Repeat the cycle.

You marvelous individuals are the REASON the policy changed. You've been scamming the rest of us that don't play stupid games. Costco should ban you from the stores....
Spot on as on various forums I've read about a tool being bought, used a time or two and returned having served the purpose. Same sort of thing if you ask me... One reason I won't buy certain items from certain online sellers, even double check items in a store to be sure that wasn't done. I only return an item if it's truly defective within a stated time frame and even at that I can't recall the last time I needed to.

I blame it on inflation and supply shortage. The manufacturers decided to not raise price as much as they need for these warranties so they cut the warranty instead.

My main concern of Costco batteries is if I am far away from it when I need a battery, and if the battery belongs to a family member away from home without a Costco card. I personally like AAA other than their recent BS on "your car sat for too long so warranty is void" nonsense. For now I'd stick to Walmart without an auto center.

Flip out a freakin $125 and move on with your life. It's a car battery. Bought at a big box store. I mean is it going to cause you to lose your house to buy a battery with your own money?

Flip out a freakin $125 and move on with your life. It's a car battery. Bought at a big box store. I mean is it going to cause you to lose your house to buy a battery with your own money?
Huh? I'm just shopping for something that works better. If everyone has the same warranty I'd not worry about it, just saying some warranty is easier to deal with than others. To most customers in this situation they are probably upset about the surprise than actually not getting a good deal.

I think some people forget that warranty covers defects or premature failure that isn’t caused by outside influence.
Agree, the "outside influence" is the job of an insurance policy rather than warranty. However, what the AAA guy said was if you don't drive your car for more than a month you void your warranty if your battery dies. That seems to me it is within reasonable usage. I understand if it is sitting for 1 year but, sitting for 1 month is not uncommon. I can understand it won't start but battery permanent damage is beyond ridiculous.

However, what the AAA guy said was if you don't drive your car for more than a month you void your warranty if your battery dies. That seems to me it is within reasonable usage. I understand if it is sitting for 1 year but, sitting for 1 month is not uncommon. I can understand it won't start but battery permanent damage is beyond ridiculous.
1 month is the upper end of how long any vehicle can sit. Toyota has always maintained a position of 30 days being the maximum before the 12V battery must be recharged and other storage related precautions should be taken:

Page 4:
Also:
1692997174760.jpg

Costco used to return televisions for full price, with or without receipt. After the Super Bowl lotsa huge big screens were wheeled in on carts. Also, as screens got bigger and prices got smaller, people were returning year old tvs and walking out with new ones. No questions asked.

I returned my folk's tv once and they told me I got full credit. I told them, "No, the tv is 5 years old (or whatever it was)."
They told me, "That's OK." I was kinda shell shocked; it didn't feel right.

Now Costco still offers a good tv warranty, but not like before.
Some people just gotta get over. We all pay for that. And it ain't just tvs and car batteries.

I do believe return policies that don’t make sense are unsustainable. I bet general returns will be revised. We found 2-3 yo pull ups never used. Took them to costco and they refunded us $90+. That’s the policy.
They could, but Costco would need to build it into their price. And then they would no longer be the low-price leader.

Just compare the cost of a part on Rockauto vs. Autozone; the same part is often 1.5-2x the cost.

They could, but Costco would need to build it into their price. And then they would no longer be the low-price leader.

Just compare the cost of a part on Rockauto vs. Autozone; the same part is often 1.5-2x the cost.
Yeah, if a store clerk took the time to test the battery, talk to the customer and whatever else, the cost may easily exceed the battery profit. And make the customers waiting in line grumpy to boot.

Yeah, if a store clerk took the time to test the battery, talk to the customer and whatever else, the cost may easily exceed the battery profit. And make the customers waiting in line grumpy to boot.
I think AAA, Walmart with auto-center, and O'Reilly all do that now.

The sad part is that Costco has the data to prevent these kinds of games. Every transaction made on a membership is logged and can be called up from the system, which is why paper receipts aren't necessary to make returns. Would be trival to flag and stop the abusers.

While it has taken steps to be more proactive in banning members who abuse their return policies, in general, it's still pretty laissez-faire and puts much faith in the honor system.

It could have used a scapel, but chose to use a machete.

I just contrasted an H7 AGM Interstate battery @ Costco for $169 vs Walmarts H7 AGM battery for $169. Am i doing it wrong? Why should I get a costco membership? I dont run a retail/gas station place, but can see the value there.

I used to have a Sams club membership because I had to buy a ridiculous amount of diapers 12-13 years ago. I do not even want to know what the cost is now.

The battery warranty period does not reset; it is based on the original purchase price.
Once I brought a 51R in for the core and the clerk found another 51R that I had bought later. I told him, "No, that was for another car."

I just contrasted an H7 AGM Interstate battery @ Costco for $169 vs Walmarts H7 AGM battery for $169. Am i doing it wrong? Why should I get a costco membership? I dont run a retail/gas station place, but can see the value there.

I used to have a Sams club membership because I had to buy a ridiculous amount of diapers 12-13 years ago. I do not even want to know what the cost is now.
I wouldn't buy the membership for just one or two purchases.

I recently needed a new battery. It was a size H8 and while Costco was abou $10 cheaper, the Walmart one had a 4 yr. warranty (as opposed to Costco's 3 yr.). The Interstate and Everstart Platinums in this size seem to be the same battery - specs, case, and even the oddly shaped "Made in Germany" sticker.

The battery warranty period does not reset; it is based on the original purchase price.
Once I brought a 51R in for the core and the clerk found another 51R that I had bought later. I told him, "No, that was for another car."
Exactly right.

In the big picture, batteries are cheap. Go to Costco at any given day, and there are all these folks in line returning very expensive items that I'm going to guess they "borrowed," used, and are returning.

A couple years ago I saw a kid in his 20's tell his dad, just get that 86" tv for the game, and return it the next week. The dad said I can do that? Son said, of course you can. And off they went with one of those big carts.

I just recently bought an Interstate from Costco (3-23) and it has the 3 year free replacement. I also bought an Everstart Max from Walmart on the same day with a 3 year free replacement. I am wondering if we see Walmart follow Costco's lead on this.. I sure hope not 😲

But I'll be honest, I'm pretty fanatical about my battery care, and I've never had to return a battery within the warranty period. They usually go much longer. The warranty's nice to have though 😉 The oldest Costco Interstate battery we currently have is 9 years old and going strong, and it's just a basic flooded lead acid... nothing special 👍

The sad part is that Costco has the data to prevent these kinds of games. Every transaction made on a membership is logged and can be called up from the system, which is why paper receipts aren't necessary to make returns. Would be trival to flag and stop the abusers.

While it has taken steps to be more proactive in banning members who abuse their return policies, in general, it's still pretty laissez-faire and puts much faith in the honor system.

It could have used a scapel, but chose to use a machete.

Probably more to do with their supplier. And I’m not sure who their supplier is. Some claim it’s Interstate, while a few claim it’s Clarios in an arrangement that uses the Interstate brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back