Corroded ThermaSol Steam Shower controller

I know this is not a plumbing forum but maybe someone has some ideas on how to fix a corroded aluminum controller on a ThermaSol steam shower . It’s 12 years old and has severe pitting on it. It’s installed inside the shower stall itself as intended. Although ThermasSol has a lifetime warranty on their steam unit, the controller is guaranteed for only 5 years and at that, does not include cosmetic damage. They don’t sell a replacement cover without the electronics and a new unit is over $1000 US.

Here is a close up of the unit and an ad for a new one for over $1600 CDN.

Any ideas on how to cover the pits would be appreciated. If it corroded through, I’m sure it will wreck the electronics inside.

A04EACA3-D028-4CD8-BC0E-452DB8063540.jpeg
B539E3B7-586F-43E9-A08B-B07A2CF5AF2F.png

Last edited:
I refinished a corroded brass door handle over the summer . First I had to use paint stripper to remove the clearcoat . Then I wetsanded it until the corrosion was gone . Followed up with a buffer and polishing compound then tarn-x . A couple coats of clearcoat and thats it . So basically you sand the corrosion off, buff it and protect it .

Removing the controller to repair the cosmetics may result in more harm if there's any gaskets involved with its mounting etc. If you're real good at masking off you could try a primer and can of rust oleum hammered finish.
Might be worth investigating further on how to disassemble the unit and it back together, including making your own gaskets. If this is possible, then maybe you can send the housing out to be re-chromed.

An now here is the rest of the story. I decided to carefully tape the control surfaces, fill and sand the pits, prime it and paint it. I tried metal infused epoxy putty but that was too thick and required too much sanding. I did one small section in that. I then used two part marine epoxy and dabbed it in each pit. It sanded down nicely and was more or less effective but invariably it was still hard to hand sand it down to the base metal. I sppose I could have purchased Dremel kit and used the rotary sandpaper rolls. I finished some sections with red bondo putty I then primed it and painted it with acrylic lacquer paint in Aged Pewter to match some of the shower accessories.

Here are some shots.

F141BE12-533C-483E-A853-E48E2698205D.jpeg
C8C9F678-9EC9-4B64-82DC-807F8560F52D.jpeg
FC1DDBBA-CEDE-4CB4-90A9-255560BC9014.jpeg
C2B2FD9E-3403-4F17-A9DA-5C3AB50E6745.jpeg
56DC6EFA-461B-4878-968E-5EFDDA80DF0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Thats an absurd price and no replacement parts ugh.

Decent work on the cosmetics.

Is there no way to rig a decent cover over it? or would that not help?
1707788603053.jpg

Last edited:
Back