Corolla Cross

So what is this supposed to be, a smaller Rav4? IMO the Rav4 dimensions are essentially perfect for an everyday taller wagon. I refuse to call it an SUV.

I really liked the Corolla hatchback... but bigger is better apparently.

4-The-Godfather-quotes.gif

as a long time wagon and hatchback guy, it's just time to admit that I've lost. Crossovers have won.

I'm sure this will sell well in NA. VW isn't even bringing in the new MK8 Golf to the US, instead it'll be lifted hatchback with cladding. ugg.....

toyota rush minisuv and avanza minivan, (daihatsu terios and xenia, respectively) are cheaper, smaller, simpler alternatives. they sell well in southeast asia (and marketed elsewhere too). not intended to be highway cruisers, but that’s ok, they are easy to like around town. i wish that toyota offered them in north america, plus suzuki with its diminutive jimny two door minijeep. instead we get tarted up, over priced gizmos on wheels for folks who are more interested in texting than driving.

instead we get tarted up, over priced gizmos on wheels for folks who are more interested in texting than driving.
I feel like this describes most cars, honestly. If more than a tiny minority of people actually cared about driving, the automotive landscape would look very, very different.

This is the closest to a traditional car any automaker should be producing right now with the exception of sports cars.

This is the closest to a traditional car any automaker should be producing right now with the exception of sports cars.
why? the Camry, Corolla and Civic are all top-10 selling vehicles. They're lighter, more aerodynamic and generally more efficient than lifted faux off-road cars. I get that some folks are helped by the easier ingress/egress of a higher vehicle and all, but that's still a pretty small (though growing) part of the population.

I agree. The easy access plus road visibility plus utility makes these a great all around vehicle for any household.

why? the Camry, Corolla and Civic are all top-10 selling vehicles. They're lighter, more aerodynamic and generally more efficient than lifted faux off-road cars. I get that some folks are helped by the easier ingress/egress of a higher vehicle and all, but that's still a pretty small (though growing) part of the population.

They're a dying platform.

They're just following the market. Everyone wants to sit up higher. Not really sure what purpose it ACTUALLY serves to be at eye-level with the FORD insignia on the F-250 ahead of you. I can see everything I need to see from the driver's seat of my Focus ST. Seems like a false sense of security. If consumers were to be honest, they'd admit they also want the luxury of accidentally running over a curb or parking chock without tearing off the underside. The price of higher center of gravity is handling, but the people that care about that are few and far between. It's going to reach a point where we car drivers will start waving to each other on the road because we're driving rare automobiles. Hard to believe the roads are going to someday soon only consist of pickups and lifted wagons. Amazing that Toyota found space in their lineup for another CUV. They must be planning to axe the C-HR.

They're just following the market. Everyone wants to sit up higher. Not really sure what purpose it ACTUALLY serves to be at eye-level with the FORD insignia on the F-250 ahead of you. I can see everything I need to see from the driver's seat of my Focus ST.
Problem is, all those vehicle HEADLIGHTS are now at eye level. Not only that but you can't look through their fender. Ya know, like when you want to make a right hand turn, but the guy to your left decides to stop a car length (SUV length?) in front of the white line. You can't look through their windows to look down the road, so you have to inch forward, or just wait until they go.

I can't imagine what it must be like to drive a Miata...

My wanted to look at the CH-R when her old RAV4 died. She was afraid the new RAV4 would be too large for her to comfortably navigate but the CH_R is just not enough vehicle for the money. Very nice looking vehicle but it needs more features, as you've said, for the money.

It's too bad the Rav4 didn't stick with its original generation proportions. They got sucked into the "Thunderbird stretch" where people said, I love it, but make it bigger and put a V6 in.

Don't they also still make Highlanders? Those are tall Camrys. Guess the Venza, Prius V, and Matrix are out. They honestly seem to be flailing around a bit.

Problem is, all those vehicle HEADLIGHTS are now at eye level. Not only that but you can't look through their fender. Ya know, like when you want to make a right hand turn, but the guy to your left decides to stop a car length (SUV length?) in front of the white line. You can't look through their windows to look down the road, so you have to inch forward, or just wait until they go.

I guess everyone makes sacrifices for what they want the most. I've gladly sacrificed that sort of visibility for a car that handles well, especially in emergency situations. My Focus is actually a sacrifice between a roomy, good-visibility SUV, and my previous car, a '18 Mustang hardtop. The Mustang was glued to the ground during pretty much any situation you could throw at it, including dodging a ladder in the middle of the highway at 80mph. I would never toss that situation at my mother's 2018 Tucson and expect to come out of it without road rash on the roof. The Focus would probably become a handful briefly, and compose itself. I'm just not that comfortable sitting up high...it gives me no sensation of increased safety. But the rest of the American car-buying public seems to feel otherwise.

It's too bad the Rav4 didn't stick with its original generation proportions. They got sucked into the "Thunderbird stretch" where people said, I love it, but make it bigger and put a V6 in.

Don't they also still make Highlanders? Those are tall Camrys. Guess the Venza, Prius V, and Matrix are out. They honestly seem to be flailing around a bit.

The Venza is coming back next year. Hybrid only and upscale. Like a fancy Rav4. Seems to be some overlap there.

You can look under the monster truck to see if anyone is coming!
If I want to turn right and there's already a line of cars waiting to turn left or go straight, I just stop so you can see in the gap between the first and second car. Usually this is the sightline the intersection was designed for anyways.

My wife likes her Jeep Cherokee, but I would still rather drive a car for the handling and more power. Kind of spoiled having two Mustangs. It does seem like crossovers are the future, though, for better or worse.

I'll take headlights to the face from large trucks and non-lifted work vehicles all day and not complain.

For any other kind of vehicle, if its headlights are in my face and no one else is in front of me, I feel no obligation not to use my highbeams. I'm not the one who picked the vehicle with an inappropriate ride height.

Last edited:
Back