Coolant for 2020 Jetta 1.4 TSI

On our previous Jetta the coolant reservoir had the coolant specification printed on the side. Our new one does not, and I can't find it anywhere in the owners manual. No use in calling our VW parts department because they seem to get it wrong. I know VW seems to constantly be updating their coolant (G12, G13, G13+++++) etc.

I just would like to know in advance in case it needs a top off like our previous Jetta did on a regular basis.

I am still convinced the VW dealer mixed coolants when our 2014 needed a new water pump, which a year or so down the road caused gelling and clogging of the heater core. Expensive repair!

G13, OEM part number GA137741GDSP. Not sure why your previous Jetta had the heater core get clogged. G13 is fully compatible with G12++. Had to top off my old 2008 Jetta that had G12++ and at the time the dealer switch over to the G13. Never had any issues.

One is propylene glycol based, the newer one is glycerol based. It is marketed as a very environmentally friendly coolant. I use the G-13 in both my 2017 AllTrack and my 2019 Passat. I pump out and refill the overflow tank on each about three times a year to keep some fresher coolant in the system.

Supposedly per VW, G12, G12+/++ and G13 are all interchangeable and mixable. Zerex G40 being the same as VW G12++.

There is rumor VW is now using a pHOAT they call G14 in their newest small cars. But the Europeans shun phosphates in their coolants due to hard water.

One is propylene glycol based, the newer one is glycerol based. It is marketed as a very environmentally friendly coolant. I use the G-13 in both my 2017 AllTrack and my 2019 Passat. I pump out and refill the overflow tank on each about three times a year to keep some fresher coolant in the system.

Three times a year seems excessive IMO...maybe once a year....it is an 'extended life' coolant right?

Supposedly per VW, G12, G12+/++ and G13 are all interchangeable and mixable. Zerex G40 being the same as VW G12++.

There is rumor VW is now using a pHOAT they call G14 in their newest small cars. But the Europeans shun phosphates in their coolants due to hard water.
They’re running G65 Psi-OAT across the entire VAG range from a Seat Ibiza to a Bugatti. No doubt it’s just G64 dyed pink.

No VAG coolant is Propylene Glycol based...
G11, G12, G12+ and G12++ Are Ehtylene Glycol Based.

G11 = IAT
G12 = OAT, cannot be mixed with G11
G12+ = OAT, basically the same as G12 but miscible with G11.
G12++ = HOAT, Basically just like G12 and G12+ but with Silicate.
G13 = HOAT, Same as G12++ but with around 15% Glycerin.
G12 Evo = HOAT with Silicate and Phosphate, the latest and greatest!

As 2Eha says G12 Neo is Glysantin G65, which is G64 dyed Pink instead of Green.

It's not a rumour and it's not called G14, it's called G12 Evo, and it's a P-Si-HOAT, meaning it has Phosphates + Silicates + OAT.

Got my info on propylene glycol from a literature piece at the local dealer, explaining that even though PG was good for animals (non-poisonous), VW had shifted to glycerol as it was a readily available industrial waste product and that made it totally environmentally friendly.

My catalog shows G13, but I would have your dealer check in ETKA using your VIN. VW is known to update their recommendations constantly.

It's not a rumour and it's not called G14, it's called G12 Evo, and it's a P-Si-HOAT, meaning it has Phosphates + Silicates + OAT.

So "G12 Evo" supersedes G13? Is this "G12 Evo" available at the dealer parts counter and does the current model Jetta use it?

So "G12 Evo" supersedes G13? Is this "G12 Evo" available at the dealer parts counter and does the current model Jetta use it?
Yes but who maybe it hasn’t been fielded yet in current US and Mexican built cars.

Definitely can’t hurt anything, it’s lspecced to mix with any antifreeze ever put in a VW since 1980.

Back