Coolant flush machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The $1000 and up machines? Where do the hook up to a vehicle and does the thermostat need to be removed first? Can I make a machine with a small electric pump and 2 five gallon buckets. Considering changing coolant types and want to get all old coolant out.

A used machine on EBay is as low as $400 and that is what a dealer charges and not sure dealer would use distilled water.

Considering this for pickup.

Many of the coolant flush machines (such as BG) back flush through the thermostat side. If this is for your 6.7 it will be difficult to tie in because all radiator and engine connections have a quick connect coupling. Conventional vehicles with regular hoses are easy. The machine comes with adapters. I'm not sure if BG or other companies have made adapters for such connections.

You could always cut the hose and make your own connections, and just buy a new hose for the truck too.

Last edited:
It' s really an exchange. Not an actual flush. Ours pushes backwards through the thermostat. When I flush a cooling system I use air and water to agitate and hopefully remove contaminants.

The exchange just pushes new coolant in nice and slow.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Drain, fill with water, drive 15 minutes. Repeat 5 times. Then fill with coolant of choice. Beats cutting hoses or trying to fit adaptors.

He's trying to save time I think. Especially with 2 cooling systems on the Truck.

Is there that big of a difference between coolant drain/fill and coolant flush/fill ?

Not trying to start a posting war, just curious.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Is there that big of a difference between coolant drain/fill and coolant flush/fill ?

Originally Posted by SeaJay

Depends how you do it - leave the thermostat in and you only drain the radiator but take the thermostat out nd you drain the whole system. The only flushing machine you need is gravity
wink.gif

We had a flushing machine at the tire shop where I worked. Came with a bunches of half-hoses and adapters to the tygon quick release fittings.

I watched in horror as the "master tech" ran a car up to overheating while waiting for an air bubble to work itself out. He then replaced the machine's upper radiator hose with the car's, possibly introducing another bubble.

Seems like something that compromises control and completeness for speed. He slopped coolant all over the hot engine, a stinky treat for the owner on his drive home.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Just do a drain and fill every 2-3 years with the proper coolant.

That's what I like doing, but most of my vehicles were bought new and didn't have any worries about plugged passage ways. 50% replacement is still quite an improvement, and what comes out never looks all that bad to begin with. Maybe the OP has a concern?

So far, it's been dirt simple--drain radiator, refill. Although now that I moved I need to figure out where I can take the coolant, that'll be the hard part!

Based upon a suggestion from a BITOG member I was suggested replacing the Ford coolant with Rotella ELC. So looking to make sure all the old Ford coolant is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back