Coolant and power steering filtration added to Vic

Installed this a couple weekends ago. Power steering is a Wix 51269 Hydraulic filter, Coolant is a Fleetguard WF2107 non-chemical coolant filter. The Coolant filter is the Wix base, and I modified this existing bracket on the front of the engine to hold it.
The PS is a 3/4-16 remote head, I think its a Derale, but its a pretty generic part. I drilled and tapped the frame for the bolts. I just inserted it into the existing return line from the steering rack.

I still have a trans filter to install. For that I am using a 6um Donaldson filter & head. I have to finish making the bracket to hang it. Between finding motivation and being busy with other stuff I havent had time to do it. Im hoping this weekend. Look clear so far.

Nice! Going for a million miles eh?
Is the Wix filter base smaller than the Derale?
I don't think a coolant filter is really needed.
Now you just need to filter the ATF and the refrigerant
smile.gif

Love it! But... there's a zero chance for ROI on these filter systems. Especially on a car that's 15 years old. If cars truly needed systems like these they'd be available from the factory.

But great show of ingenuity and determination! Thanks for the pics.

lolwut. filter for atf i understand but for power steering or coolant? waste of time and money

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Do CVs have problems?.

nope, no known/common issues due to fluid filtration or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
lolwut. filter for atf i understand but for power steering or coolant?

Because I can.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Nice job. What did it cost parts wise for everything?

For all three filter (ATF not installed but waiting) setups, fittings, hoses Im into it about $250 or so.

Originally Posted By: car51
Colton: i dont care what others think or say. I say great job on install
smile.gif

Absolutely. Good looking work. Just changing fluids would be more cost effective but not nearly as interesting.

What's next?

For power steering, yeah probably. But my experience with older mistreated cooling systems is you can flush and flush and flush and flush some more and never get it clean. Then you have gallons upon gallons of used coolant to somehow dispose of. For me I have to drive 18 miles north to the county dump to get rid of it, and only during business hours M-F, while Im working.
When I change the filter, I lose like a quart of coolant, and thats it.

For PS it also adds a convenient drain plug of sorts. When you remove the filter, all the fluid above that level will drain out, leaving only what is in the rack. Bad part is you have to fill the filter before installing it or it will take the entire reservoir capacity and the pump will end up sucking air.

This is a hobby like anything else. Heck, I just committed to buying $900 worth of high power trunk mount Motorola radios to get on the 2m and 70cm ham bands. By the time I get finished with those and my stereo and amps Ill have more electronics in my trunk than the car is worth.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

For PS it also adds a convenient drain plug of sorts. When you remove the filter, all the fluid above that level will drain out, leaving only what is in the rack. Bad part is you have to fill the filter before installing it or it will take the entire reservoir capacity and the pump will end up sucking air.

There is the option of refilling the PS reservoir as the car is started, or better, refilling while turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, with engine stopped and wheels off the ground.

When I installed the transmission filter, I went back into this and sleeved the hoses to protect them from being rubbed and damaged.
Pic of the final install, now.

I also changed the filter, so I could see what accumulated after 1k miles. But I cannot find where my filter cutter went. We recently cleaned the garage out and that was one of the things I found a new home for, but now I dont remember where that is. Hopefully Ill find it sometime soon and be able to cut it.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
If cars truly needed systems like these they'd be available from the factory.

LOL!

Only if the lawyers/bean counters/EPA had a need for it. They prefer your car wear out at 100-200k so you turn it in and buy a new one. All manufacturer support is long over at 100k, but most reasonable people expect their cars to last at least 3 times that.

Smoking since the age of 12 won't cause caner...if you shoot yourself before 30.

Almost forgot to add: In independent fleet testing, water pumps last 3 times longer with a coolant filter than without.

OEM could care less about the water pump lasting any longer than warranty, if even that. Power steering filter will help the pump and rack go the distance as well.

Thanks, yeah it had some rather nasty Gold in it when I got it. I flushed it, but as I posted above, Ive had problems with it never going away before and I wanted to get ahead of it.

I think I'm going to do the coolant filter on all my cars. Most of my cars are 30+years old and you can keep flushing and flushing and still never get it call out. Thanks for the idea.

Unless you have a septic system, used coolant can safely be poured down the drain- not a storm drain.

Originally Posted by maximus
Unless you have a septic system, used coolant can safely be poured down the drain- not a storm drain.

That's what my city workers have told me. However, they have several huge drums at my city's garage and accept drain oil and coolant. I just take it there several times a year.

Back