Convert regular oil to high mileage oil

Did using few once stop leak oil additive like convert regular full synthetic oil to high mileage I have few stop leak product like valvoline stop leak did using 2or 3oz covert the regular oil to high mileage ?

It makes it a oil with stop leak, that's all. According to mfgs like Valvoline, Chevron and Mobil, HiMi formulas not only contain seal conditioners but have a different detergent and dispersant PKG to combat excessive blow by that older engines can experience. Plus HiMi formulas tend to, from what I've noticed, be on the thicker side and have more AW additives ppm as well as higher TBN's. Havoline 5/30 SB HiMi for example has nearly 200ppm moly, ~11cSt 100c kv and a TBN of apprx 9. (those are apprx #'s, check the PDS for exact figures)..I know these figures off hand because it happens to be one of my favorite lubes. QS SB HiMi is also another great lube with similar numbers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It makes it a oil with stop leak, that's all. According to mfgs like Valvoline, Chevron and Mobil, HiMi formulas not only contain seal conditioners but have a different detergent and dispersant PKG to combat excessive blow by that older engines can experience. Plus HiMi formulas tend to, from what I've noticed, be on the thicker side and have more AW additives ppm as well as higher TBN's. Havoline 5/30 SB HiMi for example has nearly 200ppm moly, ~11cSt 100c kv and a TBN of apprx 9. (those are apprx #'s, check the PDS for exact figures)..I know these figures off hand because it happens to be one of my favorite lubes. QS SB HiMi is also another great lube with similar numbers.

Did I read this, or just imagine it? I read (here?, maybe?) that all WPP? oils conventional (really blend), syn, regular or high mileage had nearly the same ad pack. If that's true, or even if it isn't: if a manufacturer took identical oils and put a bit of additional seal conditioner into some of them, those oils, by definition would be high mileage. I agree that most companies change the ad packs in hi mi oils as described above. I realize that I could look at Warren spec sheets and find out if my supposition is real or not, but it's the first day of winter and I'm tired.

200ppm? that's more than Shell Rotella Gas Truck!

Originally Posted by discountdon

200ppm? that's more than Shell Rotella Gas Truck!

That's a "off the top of my head" figure, it's probably more around 180 or 190. I *think* Pennzoil HiMi SB is well over 200ppm though..I thought it was somewhere around 250ppm, I'd have to check pqia to know for sure.

Edit: per pqia Havoline is 178 and QS is 193ppm and Pennzoil HiMi is 258ppm.

Originally Posted by csandste

Did I read this, or just imagine it? I read (here?, maybe?) that all WPP? oils conventional (really blend), syn, regular or high mileage had nearly the same ad pack. If that's true, or even if it isn't: if a manufacturer took identical oils and put a bit of additional seal conditioner into some of them, those oils, by definition would be high mileage. I agree that most companies change the ad packs in hi mi oils as described above. I realize that I could look at Warren spec sheets and find out if my supposition is real or not, but it's the first day of winter and I'm tired.

It's possible in re WPP but you'd have to look for sure. There's no hard rule so to speak, so blenders are free to formulate away.. but as I stated, that (different addys) seems to be a trend across multiple mfgs. I believe Valvoline touts their HiMi as having more dispersants to hold more soot until filtering, as to mitigate sludging... which can be a problem unique to older engines experiencing excessive blow by.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Toh1
I am looking for seal conditioning additive not other additive

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal
http://atpautomotive.com/featured/re-seal

not leaking? use half dosage?
21.gif

I think all HM motor oils and additives like ATP all have a combination of xylene, toluene, and ethylbenzene for their 'seal conditioning' and 'stop-leak' properties...

Auto-RX Plus also has an effect on seals too.

I know about at 205 I am thinking about adding additive like stop leak or at 205 or liqui moly motor oil saver that convert regular oil to high mileage oil that condition oil so my car leak oil less because I heard that using non high mileage oil to after using high mileage oil oil lead to more oil leak

Originally Posted by discountdon
Originally Posted by Toh1
I am looking for seal conditioning additive not other additive

ATP AT-205 Re-Seal
http://atpautomotive.com/featured/re-seal

not leaking? use half dosage?
21.gif

I think all HM motor oils and additives like ATP all have a combination of xylene, toluene, and ethylbenzene for their 'seal conditioning' and 'stop-leak' properties...

Auto-RX Plus also has an effect on seals too.

I thought solvents (petroleum distillates) were generally considered "bad" for elastomers and esters were primarily used as a plasticizer? Products like Lucas, Bars Leaks and Hapco ProSeal say they don't contain "harmful solvents". It's literally on their labeling...

Edit: I think solvents may serve a purpose in a stop leak formula by cleaning away varnish that is preventing the seal from being exposed to the oil (lubrication), preventing it from staying pliable.

Last edited:
I have used ATP AT-205 with great success on two power steering systems that had "seepage" from the area surrounding the compression fittings on the pressure hoses. You won't find anything better to resolve issues like that.
Now, the 2006 Corolla in my thread has gone through 4 "O-rings" on the Timing chain tensioner due to leakage until I started to use a HM oil to eliminate that problem. Hasn't leaked since.
Bottom line: both products work differently in each situation.
Find what you think works best for your situation and use it.
Regards.

I have also used AT-205 with mixed results
Originally Posted by incognito_2u
I have used ATP AT-205 with great success on two power steering systems that had "seepage" from the area surrounding the compression fittings on the pressure hoses. You won't find anything better to resolve issues like that.
Now, the 2006 Corolla in my thread has gone through 4 "O-rings" on the Timing chain tensioner due to leakage until I started to use a HM oil to eliminate that problem. Hasn't leaked since.
Regards.

So AT-205 didn't work on the o-rings. What high mileage oil did you used that worked?

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
"I have used ATP AT-205 with great success on two power steering systems that had "seepage" from the area surrounding the compression fittings on the pressure hoses. You won't find anything better to resolve issues like that.
Regards."

So AT-205 didn't work on the o-rings. What high mileage oil did you used that worked?

Both the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and the Mobil 1 EP High Mileage have both worked equally well.

I have regular valvoline full synthetic and Mobil 1 in my oil stash and also some stop leak from valvoline white bottles I get on advanced auto parts so need advice did stop leak mixed with regular full synthetic oil convert regular oil to high mileage oil oil? Thank you all the reply and still looking for advice since answers are yes no and maybe

I have regular valvoline full synthetic and Mobil 1 in my oil stash and also some stop leak from valvoline white bottles I get on advanced auto parts so need advice did stop leak mixed with regular full synthetic oil convert regular oil to high mileage oil oil? Thank you all the reply and still looking for advice since answers are yes no and maybe
If you need stop leak, then try it. It will not be a fully-formulated motor oil any longer so no, it is not a "high-mileage oil." It will be an oil to which you added a stop leak additive.

It's not a whole lot more complicated than this.

Back