Continental Viking Contact 7

Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
I live in Wisconsin and roads here in the winter can become quite treacherous with snow/ice. I need new tires for my 2015 Lexus ES 350 sedan. My tire dealer recommended Michelin X-Ice3 and said I could run them year round. I'm also interested in the Viking Contact 7 as they are reported to be even better on snow and ice. Can I run these year round as well? Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated.
 
Messages
118
Location
MN
You can run either year round, but I don't recommend it at all. Dedicated winter tires wear out more quickly than all-seasons, and your dry pavement braking and handling will be a good bit worse on a winter tire. Get a seperate set of wheels, mount winter tires on them, and buy a decent set of all seasons in the spring to run for the warm months.
 
Messages
39,405
Location
Great Lakes
Originally Posted by benhen77
Get a seperate set of wheels, mount winter tires on them, and buy a decent set of all seasons in the spring to run for the warm months.
+1 But if you really must have one set of tires for the whole year, look into Nokian WRG4. Still, expect them to wear out faster during summer months and not be nowhere near as good handling as summers or all-seasons during warmer months.
 
Messages
579
Location
MA, USA
I would not run any studless tire all year long unless you are around polar circle. If you want single tire to be decent in winter (ice, hot summer and wet will be its Achilles' heels) look for all weather like CrossClimate+, WR G4, Celsius from Michelin, Nokian and Toyo (respoctively). There may be others. But... Dedicated tool can beat universal one but not all of them. Do you plan to have two sets of wheels? KrzyÅ›
 
Messages
1,411
Location
Western Canada
If you don't want to run two sets of tires, then seriously consider what is called an ALL WEATHER tire. It is a true all season tire, with good enough winter performance to earn the 3 peak / snowflake symbol given to winter tires, but with longer tread life. Various tire brands make them now, including Michelin, Firestone, Goodyear, Toyo etc. Remember ... ALL WEATHER, not all season. There is a big difference. Here is the Toyo version ... [Linked Image]
 
Messages
9,868
Location
USA
welcome You cannot use the Vikings or the X-Ice year-round, as they will wear down FAST in the summer, and if it gets hot enough, the winter rubber could start coming off in chunks crzy The good news is that there are all-season tires with the 3-peak sign, sometimes called "all weather" tires. The Nokian WRG4 is the most well-known tire in this category, closest thing to a winter tire that can be used year-round smile While there are other all-weather tires, including the Toyo Celsius quoted above, some are more summer-focused (like the Michelin Cross-Climate+), and some in between. Vredestein was the first company to make such a tire, and you can get their Quatrac 5 at a good price. I think you would be happiest with the Nokian WRG4 if your goal is to use a winter tire year-round.
 
Messages
3,003
Location
Idaho
Originally Posted by NoRegrets
...My tire dealer recommended Michelin X-Ice3 and said I could run them year round.
That will void your Michelin mileage warranty.
 
Messages
9,906
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by NoRegrets
I live in Wisconsin and roads here in the winter can become quite treacherous with snow/ice. I need new tires for my 2015 Lexus ES 350 sedan. My tire dealer recommended Michelin X-Ice3 and said I could run them year round. I'm also interested in the Viking Contact 7 as they are reported to be even better on snow and ice. Can I run these year round as well? Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Change tire dealer. Does not have a clue.
 
Messages
1,411
Location
Western Canada
Having driven on the Michelin X-Ice xi3 in all conditions, the tire seems more like an all weather tire than a true winter tire. It actually did everything pretty well. Maybe not as good as some other winter tires in DEEP snow, but much better than most on dry / wet roads. [Linked Image]
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by krzyss
I would not run any studless tire all year long unless you are around polar circle. If you want single tire to be decent in winter (ice, hot summer and wet will be its Achilles' heels) look for all weather like CrossClimate+, WR G4, Celsius from Michelin, Nokian and Toyo (respoctively). There may be others. But... Dedicated tool can beat universal one but not all of them. Do you plan to have two sets of wheels? KrzyÅ›
Hi and thank you for your reply smile I do not plan on having two sets of wheels. I don't have the space to store, nor do I want the hassle/expense of having to switch them out twice a year. I was hoping to find a new set of tires that will work well all year round, especially in the snow and ice conditions we have December thru April. I was not even aware of "all weather" tires, so thank you for the suggestions... it's greatly appreciated. I wonder why my tire dealer didn't recommend something like that?
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by geeman789
If you don't want to run two sets of tires, then seriously consider what is called an ALL WEATHER tire. It is a true all season tire, with good enough winter performance to earn the 3 peak / snowflake symbol given to winter tires, but with longer tread life. Various tire brands make them now, including Michelin, Firestone, Goodyear, Toyo etc. Remember ... ALL WEATHER, not all season. There is a big difference. Here is the Toyo version ... [Linked Image]
Hello and thank you for your reply and the suggestion of the "all weather" vs the "all season" tires. I'll have to try and do some research on the various all weather tires and try and determine which might be the best solution. Thanks again smile
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
welcome You cannot use the Vikings or the X-Ice year-round, as they will wear down FAST in the summer, and if it gets hot enough, the winter rubber could start coming off in chunks crzy The good news is that there are all-season tires with the 3-peak sign, sometimes called "all weather" tires. The Nokian WRG4 is the most well-known tire in this category, closest thing to a winter tire that can be used year-round smile While there are other all-weather tires, including the Toyo Celsius quoted above, some are more summer-focused (like the Michelin Cross-Climate+), and some in between. Vredestein was the first company to make such a tire, and you can get their Quatrac 5 at a good price. I think you would be happiest with the Nokian WRG4 if your goal is to use a winter tire year-round.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the various all weather tires. You guys are awesome... I came to the right place for help smile I will check to see if I can get the WRG4's here in my area. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions - it's greatly appreciated!
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by SubLGT
Originally Posted by NoRegrets
...My tire dealer recommended Michelin X-Ice3 and said I could run them year round.
That will void your Michelin mileage warranty.
Thank you... that's good to know! My tire dealer failed to mention that to me.
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by NoRegrets
I live in Wisconsin and roads here in the winter can become quite treacherous with snow/ice. I need new tires for my 2015 Lexus ES 350 sedan. My tire dealer recommended Michelin X-Ice3 and said I could run them year round. I'm also interested in the Viking Contact 7 as they are reported to be even better on snow and ice. Can I run these year round as well? Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Change tire dealer. Does not have a clue.
He said that both he and his daughter have been running the X-Ice 3 all year round... performance has been outstanding with sure footedness in the winter snow/ice and fine in the summer with excellent tread wear. He said he'd never go back to all season tires and no need for having to switch from summer to winter when you can run the X-Ice 3 year round. I have no idea... I'm not a tire guy... I just want to be safe on the roads and not have to switch out tires twice a year. The All Weather tires sound like they might be a great option for me.
 
Messages
7
Location
Wisconsin
Thread starter
Originally Posted by geeman789
Having driven on the Michelin X-Ice xi3 in all conditions, the tire seems more like an all weather tire than a true winter tire. It actually did everything pretty well. Maybe not as good as some other winter tires in DEEP snow, but much better than most on dry / wet roads. [Linked Image]
Hello and thank you for your reply! Do you drive your X-Ice all year round? How has your tread wear been? Have you compared these to any of the All Weather type tires? Thanks again smile
 
Messages
9
Location
UK
Although the VikingContact 7 is an excellent winter tire but you can't use it year round. You can try out Firestone Weathergrip, it is an excellent all-weather tire which is suitable year round or you just go for an all-season tire, if you do not drive in extreme winter conditions.
 
Messages
9,906
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by NoRegrets
Originally Posted by geeman789
Having driven on the Michelin X-Ice xi3 in all conditions, the tire seems more like an all weather tire than a true winter tire. It actually did everything pretty well. Maybe not as good as some other winter tires in DEEP snow, but much better than most on dry / wet roads. [Linked Image]
Hello and thank you for your reply! Do you drive your X-Ice all year round? How has your tread wear been? Have you compared these to any of the All Weather type tires? Thanks again smile
I just saw this post. X-ice3 is real winter tire, meaning compound is winter tire compound. Complaints about deep snow performance comes from very tight tread blocks. As any Michelin tire it is good in all disciplines, but when someone reference X-ice being good in dry, that mean cold, winter temperature. They will not hold good at all all year round.
 
Top