Continental TrueContact Tour T vs H - Help me decide

Hello,

I am going to order tires and Im deciding between T and H speed ratings. I want to confirm my thoughts. My thoughts are the T-rated tire will probably last longer, be more comfortable and better for all seasons. The H rated is more of a performance version of the same tire which will handle better on dry pavement, but for durability, comfort and 4 seasons T will be better.

Let me know your thoughts. I just want to see what opinions people have.

Generally, H-rated tires have better construction in order to meet the higher speed rating and not overheat at speed, so that's what I would go with personally.

I doubt there's going to be a big difference between T and H in terms of comfort. Not sure about tread life.

If they're near the same price, get the H. If they're not the same price, get the one that's cheaper :)

What is the original speed rating that came with the car? Most tire shops won't install tires of a lower speed rating than OE.

For better snow/winter performance, consider a 3-peak all-season.

Min speed rating is T. I looked on Consumer Reports and I saw where they tested the General Altimax RT43 T and V rated versions. They got similar performance but the difference was 10k miles of tread. V rated tire was 70k and T 80k. CR doesnt give specific numbers for their tests but uses 5 ovals basically indicating 1 to 5 rating on the various attributes.

Min speed rating is T. I looked on Consumer Reports and I saw where they tested the General Altimax RT43 T and V rated versions. They got similar performance but the difference was 10k miles of tread. V rated tire was 70k and T 80k. CR doesnt give specific numbers for their tests but uses 5 ovals basically indicating 1 to 5 rating on the various attributes.

70k is really good for a V-rated tire!

H isn't really considered a high-speed tire and treadwear ratings (the ones I've encountered) have generally matched that of the T rated tires of the same model. From what I've seen shopping for tires, "T" is usually the economy version (cheaper) and "H" the more premium, better performing tire. The above isn't a rule, just my observations.

Once you get into V, W+ is when you see treadwear ratings start to fall of a cliff. In my mind, these are the "high speed" performance tires and there is certainly tradeoffs for that extra performance, treadwear being a major one.

I don't think you'll make any sacrifices going for the "H" version instead of "T" and instead will likely get a higher quality tire with better construction.

I just had this same choice to make. The H will have a softer compound and you won't get as many miles out of it. H will probably give up some cold weather traction, too. You'll also get a slightly firmer ride with H.

Depends on how you drive and the type of car you have. In theory the H is the better tire. But I drove a sedan before and had the choice of T or H. Went with the T and drove them for a long time and a couple sets of T rated tires. Didn't have any complaints about them and they had the extra 10k worth of tread wear warranty. Not that I ever cashed in on a tread wear claim. My thinking was that I don't exceed 100mph or come close to that and I'm not that crazy a driver where I need every bit of performance from the tires. I think T was also slightly cheaper than H.

Basically, if you're not speed racer, T is fine, if you need every bit of performance, go for the H.

Its true. In theory a lower rated speed tire will be more comfortable, better in snow and longer lasting but it depends on the tire itself. These Defender LTX had a stiff ride although they were S rated for example.

Are these for your Lincoln Navigator livery vehicle? If so I wouldn’t downgrade on the speed rating.

Back