Continental Purecontact LS vs. Michelin Primacy MXM4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need new tires for my Camry, and the car came with the Michelin Primacy MXM4's. They have lasted about 45,000 miles, have been pretty quiet, and have done well in all weather conditions here in Ohio. I had a car in the past with the original Continental Purecontacts, and I thought they were really great in rain and snow. The only issue was that they quickly developed a humming noise that was pretty annoying. I can get the new Purecontact LS's for about $200 less installed than the Michelins. I really like the Michelins, but I wouldn't mind saving $200. I would absolutely try the Conti's, my only issue are some reviews indicate they wear fast and are pretty noisy. I've read mixed reviews on them, some people say they are quiet, some say they are loud. Does anyone have any long-term experience with them, or had them and the Primacy's for comparison? Thanks.

Personally I'd get the Michelins if you like'em and have had good success with'em on the vehicle that you're replacing tires on. However, there are Continental TrueContact Tour that are supposed to be quite good and I've been eying them. Also, there are better Michelin's out there too as the MXM's are an old design.

I put a set of purecontacts on the focus, 195/65/15H right at 3 years ago. I have 45K on the tires now. I still have 6/32 of tread left and the DWS is still visible, the S is starting to wear out a bit though. They will get close to the 75K tread warranty now that I have a set of winter tires. If I were to chose to wear them down to 2/32 (I probably buy a new set of tires at 3/32.)

My impressions over the past 3 years with driving on them. Wet and dry traction is excellent, really good road manners and hugs the corners on the road. I feel confident with them in almost all scenarios. Winter traction overall is pretty good for the category. I've went through 2 winters with them, they do good in the snow and snowy roads. On frosty and icey roads, they work ok but the biting edges in between the tread do not work as well as it does with snow on the ground; I could feel the car shimmy a little bit. I feel they would perform even better but the focus is such a light car.

They definitely do make some noise now when compared to new and have a hum to them. They've stayed balanced, wear good, and have road good manners. I'm pleased the their performance. I caught a DT sale (when they were still good) and paid $94 a tire before mount and balance.

I can not compare to your Michelin. If it saves you $200, I'd have no issue going with the continentals.

Driving habits = M, W, F is 60 miles a day, 30 on interstate at 75-80, 30 at 60mph. T, TH is 45 miles a day at 60mph.

Last edited:
I'd skip both and go for General G-Max AS-05
laugh.gif

Great tires, first hand experience.

Originally Posted by JMHC
I need new tires for my Camry, and the car came with the Michelin Primacy MXM4's. They have lasted about 45,000 miles, have been pretty quiet, and have done well in all weather conditions here in Ohio. I had a car in the past with the original Continental Purecontacts, and I thought they were really great in rain and snow. The only issue was that they quickly developed a humming noise that was pretty annoying. I can get the new Purecontact LS's for about $200 less installed than the Michelins. I really like the Michelins, but I wouldn't mind saving $200. I would absolutely try the Conti's, my only issue are some reviews indicate they wear fast and are pretty noisy. I've read mixed reviews on them, some people say they are quiet, some say they are loud. Does anyone have any long-term experience with them, or had them and the Primacy's for comparison? Thanks.

What year is your Camry?

I too am researching on the MXM4 vs PureContact LS. Not sure which is better....

Check out the TrueContact Tours if they are available in your size. They've been reworked from the original design for longer treadwear, I think some are now rated 800 or 840 on the UTWG. I've had 3 sets of the TrueContacts with zero problems, and will buy more. Great tire for the money.... I had around 66k on the set on my Fusion when I sold it and it still had 6/32nds depth so I'm not sure how some people reported lots of wear in a short time. The other two sets are in the mid-20ks with no problems.

I have the PureContact LS on my Cruze. Those Michelins don't have anything on the Contis. The PureContact LS is one of the quietest and smoothest riding tires I've owned. Wet and dry traction is stupid good. I've driven through a road having water puddle during a rainstorm and it was like driving on a dry road. The thing that blows my mind is that these tires feel like performance tires in the corners. I had the first gen PureContacts on this same car, and while the PureContacts were great, the PureContact LS fixes every complaint I had.

On 2 of our other cars we have the General RT43 and the General G-Max AS05 and while they are great tires, the Conti kicks it up a notch. Especially in ride comfort and noise.

I've driven new cars with stock Michelin MXM4s and they didn't have anywhere near the wet and snow traction of even the first gen PureContacts.

I am highly biased towards Michelins (sans Premier A/S - low tread depth from the get go and poor wear). The Primacy MXM4 has excellent reviews online so I would lean towards those. I had Continental ProContact's on a prior Jetta and they got noisy around the 20k mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jmlo96
I have the PureContact LS on my Cruze. Those Michelins don't have anything on the Contis. The PureContact LS is one of the quietest and smoothest riding tires I've owned. Wet and dry traction is stupid good. I've driven through a road having water puddle during a rainstorm and it was like driving on a dry road. The thing that blows my mind is that these tires feel like performance tires in the corners. I had the first gen PureContacts on this same car, and while the PureContacts were great, the PureContact LS fixes every complaint I had.

On 2 of our other cars we have the General RT43 and the General G-Max AS05 and while they are great tires, the Conti kicks it up a notch. Especially in ride comfort and noise.

I've driven new cars with stock Michelin MXM4s and they didn't have anywhere near the wet and snow traction of even the first gen PureContacts.

It is true that the PureContact LS has better ratings on TireRack.

But my main concern besides those would be tire noise over time and are the sidewalls are softer compared to the MXM4?

BTW, stock MXM4 cannot be compared because they have many versions of the MXM4. The one that is good is the one with the traction rating of "AA" 96V XL.

The Primacy MXM4 is a "old" but still good tire. It was introduced in 2009-2010 just after the Primacy MXV4 which I thought was a vast improvement over the Energy MXV4 series. Michelin made the Pilot MXM4 but it's a OEM-level "premium" tire.

Michelins aren't as noisy compared to a Conti when they get older and worn down. I've heard good things about the Contis, and according to TireRack they also aren't too bad in the snow - since Cleveland does see snow in the winter. It won't be as good as a true winter tire of course.

Originally Posted by painfx

But my main concern besides those would be tire noise over time and are the sidewalls are softer compared to the MXM4?

BTW, stock MXM4 cannot be compared because they have many versions of the MXM4. The one that is good is the one with the traction rating of "AA" 96V XL.

That's my concern as well. According to TireRack tests the Conti should grip better, especially in rain and snow, but it sure seems there is a possibility it will make more noise. The Michelins aren't amazing, but they do everything well while being very smooth and quiet even at higher speeds.

That's my concern as well. According to TireRack tests the Conti should grip better, especially in rain and snow, but it sure seems there is a possibility it will make more noise. The Michelins aren't amazing, but they do everything well while being very smooth and quiet even at higher speeds.

Yep. And we still cant get a definitely answer. This question has been lingering on google for many years. They never posted an update.

You got the Primacy Tour A/S and the Primacy MXM4 as what I consider the only two Michelin choices (Premier A/S is a possibility)

I think the Tour A/S is the newer but the MXM4 has been tried and proven.

If you are looking for a grand touring all season tire, suggest you look into the Michelin CrossClimate+. That is rated number 1 out of 55 in tires that are in your size.

You always have to look at "what size tire" when comparing brands and models because there can be big gaps in some product lines. The CrossClimate+ is W speed rated at has a higher load range than the Continental, and has longer trade than Michelin Primacy MXM4 for only a few dollars more.

If noise is your concern, I'd have absolutely no qualms about the PureContact LS. They are without a doubt the most quiet tires I've ever driven on. They are so quiet I'm noticing all these drivetrain noises I've never been able to hear.

I have also run Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on this car and they were not this quiet. Even the first gen PureContacts were fairly quiet throughout their life, but the PureContact LS is on another level.

I see your point about not comparing to the stock tires. I would have only experienced them when I worked for Honda.

As for sidewall stiffness, it seems to depend on the size in the PureContact LS. My friend bought a 19" set for his car and they barely had any flex. The 16" ones flex on my Cruze a bit, but I'd still say they were stiff enough for a 60 series all season tire.

If noise is your concern, I'd have absolutely no qualms about the PureContact LS. They are without a doubt the most quiet tires I've ever driven on. They are so quiet I'm noticing all these drivetrain noises I've never been able to hear.

I have also run Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires on this car and they were not this quiet. Even the first gen PureContacts were fairly quiet throughout their life, but the PureContact LS is on another level.

How many miles do you have on your PureContact LS? I wonder how many miles does it take for it to make noise.

Also how are the sidewalls are they soft? Do they sag? Because the MXM4 doesnt sag.

I have had both tires on my Honda. The MXM4 was pretty good but the snow traction wasn't the best. Next set was Michelin Premier A/S, better in the snow, but wore more quickly. I currently have the Conti PureContact LS, which is superior to both tires. I've had them about a year, and they are better in the snow, about the same in rain (all good), and equally quiet. The handling on the Premier A/S and PureContact LS are both better than the MXM4. After 10K or so, no appreciable increase in noise or sidewall sag for the LS.

I disposed of the old sets at 5/32 for safety reasons. I can't advise on performance after that.

If you are stuck on the Michelin brand, get the CrossClimate+. Otherwise I'd get the Conti's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back