Consumer Reports : Direct Injection at a price for fuel economy ( 2015 )

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm . Does mention some auto manufacturers push for owners to use only name - brand detergent gasoline ( likely Top Tier ) w/o ethanol and also use a fuel system cleaner ( likely P.E.A. ) on occasion . This is a part of the article .
IMG_5297.JPG

Last edited:
yes... only use name brand gasoline, without ethanol!
that's unobtainium in my area.
ALL the gas sold is at least E10.
Casey's has been moving in, and they have both e85, and e15 (branded as unleaded 88). until recently they DID have e-0 91(priced 5¢ above the e10 91), but about 2 months ago, they replaced it with"Super Premium" e10 93 (priced 10¢ above the e10 91)
i was very upset when they ditched the e0 91... my little hybrid consistently got 5mpg better without the corn juice.

and in the 18 or so months i've had this car, the one time i dosed it with techron concentrate.... my gas guage was all over the map until i burned off that full tank. once the techron was burned, or diluted enough to be "gone", the gauge returned to normal operation.

They should fog fuel cleaners behind the valves to keep them clean. BUT why would you do that when you could charge to clean them periodically.
:)

All this tech is certainly not what most manufacturers want. But government mandates are pushing auto makers to come up with every little eek in efficiency they can. I have a friend who is an engineer for a big manufacturer. He says the pressure and mandates on fuel economy are huge. It's the elephant in the room even when the discussion isn't about MPG

After two different service calls for injector issues the 17 Chevy truck definitely likes PEA regularly with no problems since running a tank each oil change. And I only use top tier gas.

It's almost more difficult NOT to use Top Tier gas now. You'd need to buy from a local Bobby's Convenience Store, or something.

Well, it certainly goes against all their manuals. But, if it sells, why not I guess :)

All of them will sell anything for the $$$, no way is the additive gravy train going by without them cashing in on it. In this case it is repackaged Techron like GM and most others repackage.

All of them will sell anything for the $$$, no way is the additive gravy train going by without them cashing in on it. In this case it is repackaged Techron like GM and most others repackage.
We've had this discussion numerous times. It's sad but DI is still not ready for prime time imo. Time to hide...............

And CR certainly knows how to market to their target audience. You ever think they just say what the luddites want to hear?

Port-injected vehicles need costly repairs as well.

NEVER any port injected issues even with 200 thou on my traded Jetta. yes manufacturers are pushed by the government + they hide issues as they dont want costly recalls!!!! its always about the $$$$ + the consumer pays!!

The article from 2015 no longer applies. Some makers have introduce brand new direct injection engines in just the past few years. The new 2.0 Subaru for example uses 80 percent new parts and uses a patented oil air separator built into the engine. That is saner approach than a hybridized port/DI engine with two kind of fuel injectors. Motor oil has also changed a lot in the past five years.

Most of the economy variation have negative value. They will not save enough fuel to pay for their additional cost let alone the additional repair cost.
Rod

Back