Consumer Cellular

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it, and it's cheap and works great. The signal dies in really remote places (I'm talking like large National parks, and, well, most of Montana and Wyoming). But that was it. Had it more than two years now.

I have them for over 2 years now. I'm saving a ton over Verizon and the service is just as good.

They use either at&t or tmobil depending where you're at so coverage should be pretty good.

They are a decent deal if you don't use a lot of data. If you are a heavy data user you are better off with an unlimited plan from one of the big carriers. You also don't have an option of international data buckets, so roaming abroad can get really expensive. International calling rates are reasonable. Customer service is good.

Last edited:
I have Verizon with one phone unlimited data and a separate WiFi hotspot device. Hot spot is my intenet access for the house and is a 15G of data before they cut you back to 3G speed. Sucks. I pay $110 a month. Hit the 3G about three weeks into the month.

I was talking with CC about switching and would save near $40 a month and get 25 GB of data on a hotspot. Have to get an unlocked phone and WiFi hotspot though.

SHOZ,
At&T will let you take an unlimited tablet account and put it in a hotspot. I think they are $30-$40 for a prepaid one.

Service can be spotty in rural areas, like northern WI. They use ATT or T Mobile networks. If in a non rural area, and you don't need unlimited data, it is a good service at a good price.

I've been using them for a few months now. No problems in my part of Iowa.

I'm old and never exceed the limited data plan. With my AARP discount costs me $25 per month.

I have had them for some years now and couldn't be more satisfied. I started with 3gb data and they upgraded it a few times for nothing, now at 10gb.
I save $110 a month over AT&T and notice no difference whatsoever in service quality.

So you cannot get the Verizon network on Consumer Cellular correct. We have very poor coverage from the AT&T towers where we live....so they are out as a choice.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
So you cannot get the Verizon network on Consumer Cellular correct. We have very poor coverage from the AT&T towers where we live....so they are out as a choice.

Very few carriers have Verizon except Visible, Xfinity red pocket and Total wireless.

The customer service apparently is great and geared to older population on Consumer Cellular. In laws have it and I feel bad for customer support when they call but Consumer Cellular weeds through.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by AC1DD

Very few carriers have Verizon except Visible, Xfinity red pocket and Total wireless.

The customer service apparently is great and geared to older population on Consumer Cellular. In laws have it and I feel bad for customer support when they call but Consumer Cellular weeds through.

Xfinity Mobile has a pretty amazing rate, just $12 for 1gb of data, basically $12 per gb of data and voice/text are free. So just $12 a month if you use less than 1gb of data. But you need to have Comcast in order to get that and they use Verizon towers.

Originally Posted by madRiver

Page Plus also uses Verizon, if that carrier is a priority and one of their plans works for the given situation.

They are the best. And their service is amazing. When you call them these people are "real Americans" speak perfect English and they are naturally courteous.

Originally Posted by Al
...When you call them these people are "real Americans" speak perfect English and they are naturally courteous.

This is true. My wife's phone is on CC and mine is on Red Pocket (Red Pocket CS agents are in a far away land), both using the AT&T network so as everyone else says the quality and reliability is good. Absolutely no different from when we used AT&T directly. I have come to the conclusion that the major networks are for suckers.

jeff

Red Pocket Mobile has 5gb LTE and unlimited everything else for $240 for one year prepaid, and you can choose any one of the four networks (including Verizon) for that price. This is a smokin' deal if you want/need Verizon's service or if you are a Verizon customer.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Mo-Red-...t-Unlmtd-Everything-5GB-LTE/133058350672
I have moved into MVNO prepaid service like Red Pocket (I have their GSMA) because the price is the price and you aren't nickeled and dimed with all of the fees and taxes. The actual cell phone service is exactly the same as the big boys are providing. Consumer Cellular is also an MVNO. The only real difference is if you regularly need customer service, this is what Consumer Cellular is supposed to be so good at (and what you are paying extra for), but personally, I have never had to use any of my cell phone provider's customer service, so I will just take the lower price thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back