Considering Supertech 0W20 1Dexos Gen 2 SN+ for the new GMC GDI Turbo ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the oil extractor should be delivered any day now and the new GMC (see sig) is about due for it's 2nd oil change, which *will* not be occurring the dealership (even though free of charge) after the over-fill debacle resulting from their incompetence with the first "free" oil change.

I'm considering using Supertech 0W20 dexos gen 2 SN+ full synthetic. I know it's a group III based synthetic, not concerned. Carries the right specs and priced right, blended by Warren who's reputable.

About the extractor. I use them (replacing worn out one) to extract the majority of the oil so that when I pull the drain plug it's not as much of a gusher. The more subdued flow that exits the sump after a full extraction is just the dregs the extractor could not completely remove and it usually trickles.

Short version: Dexos licensed oil that meets specs, no mess, and owner performed "BITOG" precision.
beer3.gif

That or the Valvoline Modern Engine 0W-20 if you can still find it in Autozone @ $2.00/qt. Both good choices.

Cheaper than SuperTech 0w20: Rotella Gas Truck with their rebate. More moly in that one too.
LoneRanger, your signature says you use "0w20 dexos2" in your Terrain. There is a 0w20 dexosD, but no dexos2 in that grade. Do you mean dexos1 Gen2 ? Tonto would know....

Originally Posted by paoester
Cheaper than SuperTech 0w20: Rotella Gas Truck with their rebate. More moly in that one too.
LoneRanger, your signature says you use "0w20 dexos2" in your Terrain. There is a 0w20 dexosD, but no dexos2 in that grade. Do you mean dexos1 Gen2 ? Tonto would know....

The oil in the signature line is what the dealer put in for the first oil change at 2500 miles. Dealer used the AC Delco stuff I believe. I'm not taking it back to them for the free 2nd oil change because for the first one they over filled it by almost a quart and we had to have some removed. Actually they came and got it at her work and then brought it back, but still don't want that hassle again.

dexos2â„¢ in an innovation in engine oil. ... It is a low SAPS engine oil suitable for use in diesel powered vehicles with exhaust particulate filters / EGR systems and provides exceptional cleaning power, engine wear protection and improved fuel consumption.

So they overfilled AND used diesel oil in your GMC or you mean Dexos1gen2?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
So they overfilled AND used diesel oil in your GMC or you mean Dexos1gen2?
If it was 0w20, it cannot be dexos2 by definition. Kind of like there's no crying in baseball, there's no 0w20 in dexos2. There is, however, such a thing as 0w20 dexosD. I know, confusing, but stay with me: Actually the use of 0w20 dexosD in a gasoline '19 Terrain would work very well there, incidentally.

Using an extractor THEN pulling the plug? Too much work just to eliminate a "gusher" at an oil change lol

But on the oil topic - you will be well served with the Supertech for all the reasons you stated.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Using an extractor THEN pulling the plug? Too much work just to eliminate a "gusher" at an oil change lol

But on the oil topic - you will be well served with the Supertech for all the reasons you stated.

Yeah.. extractor on top of pulling the plug seems like a bit too much "work" for me but whatever, it's not hurting anything. The oils getting changed and that's what's important.

OP, that ST is a D1G2 approved lube so I'm sure it's up to snuff. What's your anticipated drain interval and do you expect to doing a UOA?? Just curious...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nickaluch
I use the same oil in my 2018 traverse 5w30. It meets the specs so why not.

For those that keep their rides from birth until old-age, junkyard.....

Meeting specs and exceeding specs, much like many name brand oils do, are two different animals. Read all the labels before purchase. Then distinguish the verbage/wordings that are missing from some house brand names.

Or buy the cheapest stuff, like you've been doing, thus brainwashing yourself and your half-empty wallet into believing oil is oil and they are all the same.

They are not the same. Insignificant UOA multiplied by a hundred could mean an additional 50-75K (guess), out of that odometer reading, across the lifetime of your vehicle. But if you trade-in or sell your vehicles prematurely, then the house brand-name rocks and the next owner will deal with shortened life or expensive repairs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
So the oil extractor should be delivered any day now and the new GMC (see sig) is about due for it's 2nd oil change, which *will* not be occurring the dealership (even though free of charge) after the over-fill debacle resulting from their incompetence with the first "free" oil change.

I'm considering using Supertech 0W20 dexos gen 2 SN+ full synthetic. I know it's a group III based synthetic, not concerned. Carries the right specs and priced right, blended by Warren who's reputable.

About the extractor. I use them (replacing worn out one) to extract the majority of the oil so that when I pull the drain plug it's not as much of a gusher. The more subdued flow that exits the sump after a full extraction is just the dregs the extractor could not completely remove and it usually trickles.

Short version: Dexos licensed oil that meets specs, no mess, and owner performed "BITOG" precision.
beer3.gif

Never thought of an extractor but after reading your post it's actually a great idea to help keep from oil getting all over the driveway when the full sump is released all at once. Very good idea there to use it for stage one of the drain.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Meeting specs and exceeding specs, much like many name brand oils do, are two different animals. Read all the labels before purchase. Then distinguish the verbage/wordings that are missing from some house brand names.

Unbelievable.

R1Jake, exactly why Ive used one since a 2005 VW tdi diesel I used to service. If you didn't pump it down first it exited the plug hole with velocity and splatter a lot, which is worse of a mess with dirty diesel oil. Stuff was like black printer's ink.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
But if you trade-in or sell your vehicles prematurely, ...

....Insignificant UOA multiplied by a hundred could mean an additional 50-75K (guess), out of that odometer reading

What, anything less than old age or junkyard is premature? Good to know going forward.

While I find buying a new car then wanting to use the cheapest oil a curious thing, to guess that it will take 50-75k off of it's lifespan is indefensible. Just too many variables at play and many cars with spotless maintenance having mechanical failures and others with indifferent minimal maintenance living to 300k.

Theoretically he has a point- adequate protection vs (arguably) better protection I believe.

If one oil gives better performance, using it would lessen the wear over time and your engine would last longer. As 777 stated, it would only come into play if you were able to keep a vehicle until the engine was worn out.

But there's theory vs evidence. As noted by many, wear rates are similar between oils, so an Amsoil (for example) gives the same wear as ST, if you stay within the ST's distance capabilities. Where Amsoil shows value is in longer OCIs.

Then there's the threads a couple years ago where it was shown there was lesser wear on longer OCIs [insert additive stripping and re-plating at OCI discussion here]. With that evidence, perhaps longer OCIs that are made possible with long drain oils do save some wear. But again, doesn't matter if you will keep your car for less than (picking a number) 200,000 miles (320,000 km).

Lastly, this whole discussion is likely engine specific. I have an old set of UOAs in which M1 created more than 2x the iron of any other oil at a 5,000 mile interval. That would add up over the miles and shorten engine life - in that engine. In other engines the reverse could be true and M1 would show the least wear of any oil. There are a LOT of variables here, which is why so many points of view are valid.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Don't feed the troll

Yeah, awful shame someone let triplese7en back to make up stuff and spread misinformation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back