Confused Over Oil Specs For Ford Raptor 3.5tt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Since you like to drive it hard from time to time, might consider going with a 5W-30 that would be more resistant to shear. Maybe one of the 5W-30 oils that are marketed towards Euro makes for higher-speed driving, with an HTHS value of 3.5 or so. Like Mobil 1 ESP. And you mentioned wanting an oil that is very good quality, which the M1-ESP is.

According to Mobil, Mobil 1 ESP does not meet Ford's WSS-M2C946-B1 oil specs.

Originally Posted by Shrike9
Since you like to drive it hard from time to time, might consider going with a 5W-30 that would be more resistant to shear. Maybe one of the 5W-30 oils that are marketed towards Euro makes for higher-speed driving, with an HTHS value of 3.5 or so. Like Mobil 1 ESP. And you mentioned wanting an oil that is very good quality, which the M1-ESP is.

Because it obliterates them

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

ESP is a fantastic oil, however it cost about twice as much as vanilla 5w30 M1. In an engine that doesn't "need" the thicker 3.5hths oil, ESP isn't a great value.

Sure if the OP wants to use the ESP on his Moab trips I would agree, but for the rest of his travels (80% highway) regular M1 is already exceeding the Ford spec, and probably by a decent margin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08

ESP is a fantastic oil, however it cost about twice as much as vanilla 5w30 M1. In an engine that doesn't "need" the thicker 3.5hths oil, ESP isn't a great value.

Sure if the OP wants to use the ESP on his Moab trips I would agree, but for the rest of his travels (80% highway) regular M1 is already exceeding the Ford spec, and probably by a decent margin.

Been looking @ Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-30 oil, from what little I know it seems to be "better" than M1 as it's got 3.00 HTHS

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NA-XX-MOBIL-1-TRUCK-AND-SUV

Easy to say, but does not explain why when your talking to somebody that has about 36 hours worth of "oh you mean all oil is not the same oil" mentally.

Until I started looking into oil for the 3.5Ltt the most I know is how the local Dodge dealer recommended Royal Purple for our 18 Dodge Charger with the 6.4L Hemi & after running RP the big Hemi ran cooler and isles smoother than with Pennzoil ....and I've got no idea why & am trying to learn that also..

Easy to say, but does not explain why when your talking to somebody that has about 36 hours worth of "oh you mean all oil is not the same oil" mentally.

Until I started looking into oil for the 3.5Ltt the most I know is how the local Dodge dealer recommended Royal Purple for our 18 Dodge Charger with the 6.4L Hemi & after running RP the big Hemi ran cooler and isles smoother than with Pennzoil ....and I've got no idea why & am trying to learn that also..

Hang around here and do some reading and you'll learn fast! Careful, though, it's an addiction! I just went on my first "oil hoarding" run. Hit up several Auto Zone locations around town to take advantage of the clearance they're running right now on M1 Annual Performance and Valvoline Modern Engine. I've bought about 40-something quarts now, all at 2 bucks a quart.

The specs that most Euro oils meet (especially newer ones which ESP meets) are very, very high quality. A semi synthetic like one that will meet the Ford spec wouldn't dream of meeting VW 504 or Mercedes 229.51 spec. The Euro oils demand high shear resistance, high HTHS (at least 3.5), low emissions (what ESP stands for) and very high anti-wear. They simply need to stand up to a couple hours at 120 mph on Autobahns, because that's not uncommon over there. They are also approved for up to 18k mile oil change intervals.

Vanilla M1 or the Truck version are good oils, for sure. I use them in my wife's Jeep. But if you want the best...

I can't speak for pricing where you are. Up here ESP is only about three or four bucks a jug more than vanilla.

OP: Another one to consider is Pennzoil Euro LX 0W-30. HTHS of 3.5 but also designed to meet stringent fuel economy standards. Trav just mentioned in another thread that he was able to score several quarts at Advance Auto Parts for 3 bucks a quart:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4708138/1

This is a very, very good oil.

I considered running it in my 2016 WRX (turbo, GDI, small, power-dense engine that's known to shear oil pretty bad), but ended up deciding against it because I didn't do extended OCIs due to fuel dilution and it's expensive at full retail price.

But if you could get a supply at the price Trav mentioned... It would be a good choice for you.

Interesting how the Charger with the Hemi ran cooler with the Royal Purple oil versus the Pennzoil ðŸ‘...Ž

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

Interesting how the Charger with the Hemi ran cooler with the Royal Purple oil versus the Pennzoil ðŸ‘...Ž

Don't ask me, I just drive it very hard, only get 8-10k miles out of the tires due to how hard I push her in the twisties.

She just seems to like the RP better for some reason, no idea why or what the differences are between the 2 oils...

The specs that most Euro oils meet (especially newer ones which ESP meets) are very, very high quality. A semi synthetic like one that will meet the Ford spec wouldn't dream of meeting VW 504 or Mercedes 229.51 spec. The Euro oils demand high shear resistance, high HTHS (at least 3.5), low emissions (what ESP stands for) and very high anti-wear. They simply need to stand up to a couple hours at 120 mph on Autobahns, because that's not uncommon over there. They are also approved for up to 18k mile oil change intervals.

Vanilla M1 or the Truck version are good oils, for sure. I use them in my wife's Jeep. But if you want the best...

I can't speak for pricing where you are. Up here ESP is only about three or four bucks a jug more than vanilla.

Will have to check around town & see if anybody stocks ESP & compare prices.

Would need to start hauling oil with us also, went on a drive to Edmonton visiting family & from there to Yellowknife, ended up in BC and drive down the coast till we found a Ford dealer in Marysville WA & had the truck serviced, was only about 1k miles overdue
crackmeup2.gif

But with M1 ESP I'm guessing a extra 1k or even 2k miles would not be as "bad"

M1 ESP in 0w40 might be easier to find … that's the Vette version - and the aforementioned is the Euro version 0w40.
(what I ran in my 2015 ecoboost).

Wait for NAPA to have a sale - Mobil 1 ESP is $5.50 a quart. It's the only way to get it for a decent price that I have seen.

Valvoline XL-III is $150 for 5 gallons all day every day and that's not a bad price for a 504/507 oil.

Been doing more research on Fords owners website & they had a 3rd printing (our copy is 1st printing) on capacities and this is what it's now saying for oil.

As I mentioned on page 1, the Ford spec changed to -B1 which is basically Ford saying use an oil that meets the SN Plus spec. It's talked about on Motorcraft's website in their oil section.

I've seen oil bottles that show the Ford -A spec, but the oil bottle will say it meets SN Plus. SN Plus hasn't been out for long, and I think some oil makers still haven't caught up on getting the Ford -B1 updated on the bottle labels. Or there's still some older oil bottles/jugs on the shelves.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but even on Mobil 1's web page oil finder ESP is not recommended for the 3.5tt.

Now I understand it's a higher quality oil, but what I do not understand is why is not listed as meeting those specs.

Biggest mental hurdle for me, we have the extended warranty & want to make sure the oil will not void any warranty claims.

Originally Posted by 4WD
M1 ESP in 0w40 might be easier to find … that's the Vette version - and the aforementioned is the Euro version 0w40.
(what I ran in my 2015 ecoboost).

Don't want to void the extended warranty by running a different weight oil from what is recommended.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Been doing more research on Fords owners website & they had a 3rd printing (our copy is 1st printing) on capacities and this is what it's now saying for oil.

As I mentioned on page 1, the Ford spec changed to -B1 which is basically Ford saying use an oil that meets the SN Plus spec. It's talked about on Motorcraft's website in their oil section.

I've seen oil bottles that show the Ford -A spec, but the oil bottle will say it meets SN Plus. SN Plus hasn't been out for long, and I think some oil makers still haven't caught up on getting the Ford -B1 updated on the bottle labels. Or there's still some older oil bottles/jugs on the shelves.

Yes Sir, I did some more research and found that Ford had changed oil specs after we got the truck in February to the new one.

Makes sense that labeling/documentation has not caught up yet since it's just recently been changed.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes Sir, I did some more research and found that Ford had changed oil specs after we got the truck in February to the new one.

Makes sense that labeling/documentation has not caught up yet since it's just recently been changed.

Yep, to clarify, what I'm saying is if the bottle says Ford spec -A, but also says SN Plus on the bottle, then it's going to meet the Ford -B1 spec.

It's definately confusing now until the oil makers that originally met the Ford -A spec get their labling changed to the -B1 spec if the bottle is also labeled SN Plus.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but even on Mobil 1's web page oil finder ESP is not recommended for the 3.5tt.

Now I understand it's a higher quality oil, but what I do not understand is why is not listed as meeting those specs.

Biggest mental hurdle for me, we have the extended warranty & want to make sure the oil will not void any warranty claims.

That is because Ford specs a ILSAC 5w30 lube meeting their spec which will have an HTHS of 2.9-3.5cp with most around 3.0cp

Regular M1 5w30 has and HTHS of 3.1cp. Valvoline Advanced 5w30 has and HTHS of 3.2cp. Castrol EDGE 5w30 SN+ has an HTHS of 3.04.

The Mobil 1 ESP has an HTHS of 3.58cp which is in line with its required range/spec among ACEA (European) standard.

Again ESP is more "stout" in viscosity, but Regular M1 5w30 is a very stout lube for an ILSAC lube that will exceed Fords spec.

You're truck will last years regardless of whether you run a 3.0cp lube or a 3.5cp lube. I would run a premium easy to find and affordable High grade ILSAC lube in 5w30 like M1, PP, or Edge personally based on availability and price/performance/Value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back