College Football Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
OSU is already ranked #5. WTH? Did they not get the memo that Urban Myer is no longer the head coach and that the team lost many of its top players because they were seniors last year? They actually think OSU is going to pick up right where they left off? They will beat the usual cream puff teams they always get on their schedule, but I doubt they will beat any high ranked teams this year...new coach and new players equals time to come together as a new team...

Rankings are irrelevant until October/November. They just give fans and the media something to jawbone about until then.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of pre-season polls. Even though my team, Oklahoma, usually benefits from it.

My thought is to not have the polls come out until after week 4. Like BMWTurboDzl said, it's just for the media and fans. I just think currently it can be detrimental to the final outcome at the end of the season.

Totally agree with geek....especially for OU if that defense don't get better, doesn't matter what your offense can do.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Hope they've been drinking that Kool-Aid come Saturday...

If the Buckeyes come out strong and don't get lackadaisical (like they did against FAU), they'll do fine against the Bearcats.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

If the Buckeyes come out strong and don't get lackadaisical (like they did against FAU), they'll do fine against the Bearcats.

OSU won't lose until they start playing ranked teams...the cream puffs they always have on their schedule are gimme games...

I'm rooting for lackadaisical, myself-that 2nd half against FAU looked like tOSU was really trying to let them back in the game!

I have never cared about the "power rankings" especially so early in the season. They push them for NASCAR like crazy like somehow it matters.

That being said I am an Alabama Crimson Tide fan so they haven't been below 2 in a long time.

for as many rabid OSU fans: there are twice as many rabid HATERS.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

grin2.gif

It may have something to do with way players say "thee (said with a pause) Ohio State" when players announce where they went to school, like the school is some kind of royalty or something...it's sickening...

Originally Posted by grampi
It may have something to do with way players say "thee (said with a pause) Ohio State" when players announce where they went to school, like the school is some kind of royalty or something...it's sickening...

That has always seemed weird to me as well as the ones that say "The U". I do enjoy when someone randomly says their Junior College or High School.

grin2.gif

It comes from distinguishing "OSU" from other universities. What does OSU stand for, Ohio State University, Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University ?

grin2.gif

It comes from distinguishing "OSU" from other universities. What does OSU stand for, Ohio State University, Oklahoma State University, Oregon State University ?

Saying the word "thee" is nothing but narcissistic...

grin2.gif

As someone who was intimately familiar with the Big Ten football scene it is with upmost certainty that OSU, and Michigan for the matter, had an above average number of beneficial calls/no calls. Rules changes allowing officials to review calls via instant replay has leveled the playing field some what. I'm not suggesting that officials were overtly biased (although some might have been) but that it was a subconscious bias at work.

Have you not looked at who the other top teams play in their OOC games? The SEC teams play FCS teams!! AND, they even LOSE to them!! WOW! Maybe OSU WILL lose to UM this year. MAYBE!! But, the new coach thing and the new QB WON'T be the reason. OSU DID lose some good players from last season. True that. But, they also have MANY good ones that RETURNED to play this year. The reason they might lose is because the other teams have really good players. I'm sure OSU will beat at least some of the ranked teams they play this year and going forward because they recruit so well. And, last years team had the firing of one of their coaches that had to distract the players. That element is NOT there this year. AND, as I recall didn't you say that OSU was OVERRATED before in a post last year? How did that turn out when those overrated OSU folks beat PSU AND that "great defensive" team from Ann Arbor in a beat down of all time in the history of the series? You are just a hater of OSU. That is your right to be that way. But, you will be called out. OSU is NOT as good as Clemson or Alabama. They should be glad they did not have to play them last year with their bad defense they had! I love all the teams in college football. I would LOVE to see UM win the college playoff! Or, PSU also. Do I think that will happen? Heck no! But, that is why they play the games. I think that Alabama has the best chance this year. But, I won't hate on them or ANY other team. Thank You, Bill

People sure do care about college football teams...

Does anyone care about college academic rankings any more?

The WSJ published their rankings yesterday...

I mean, it's not football but:

The WSJ/THE rankÂings emÂphaÂsize how well a colÂlege will preÂpare stuÂdents for life afÂter gradÂuÂaÂtion. The overÂall rankÂing is based on 15 facÂtors across four main catÂeÂgories: Forty perÂcent of each school's overÂall score comes from stuÂdent outÂcomes, inÂcludÂing meaÂsures of gradÂuÂate salaries and debt burÂdens, 30% from the school's acaÂdÂeÂmic reÂsources, 20% from how well it enÂgages its stuÂdents and 10% from its diÂverÂsity.

So, while the rankings reflect on a college's preparation for future success, nearly every one of the athletes that you're discussing will fail to succeed in professional sports, and in life, and the ugly fact is that those young athletes are being exploited for your entertainment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
People sure do care about college football teams...

Does anyone care about college academic rankings any more?

The WSJ published their rankings yesterday...

I mean, it's not football but:

The WSJ/THE rankÂings emÂphaÂsize how well a colÂlege will preÂpare stuÂdents for life afÂter gradÂuÂaÂtion. The overÂall rankÂing is based on 15 facÂtors across four main catÂeÂgories: Forty perÂcent of each school's overÂall score comes from stuÂdent outÂcomes, inÂcludÂing meaÂsures of gradÂuÂate salaries and debt burÂdens, 30% from the school's acaÂdÂeÂmic reÂsources, 20% from how well it enÂgages its stuÂdents and 10% from its diÂverÂsity.

So, while the rankings reflect on a college's preparation for future success, nearly every one of the athletes that you're discussing will fail to succeed in professional sports, and in life, and the ugly fact is that those young athletes are being exploited for your entertainment.

+ 1

Just reviewed the WSJ college rankings. Many graduates from the "sports schools" are going to have a rude awakening when they graduate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back