Closed California Hyundai dealer towing scam

Ya that would go over like a lead balloon here. The previous Ford dealer here, which went out of business in 2007, did some really shady things.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Boy would i get a $$$$ Lawyer and file a class action ASAP if I were one of those car owners

Also the owner of the dealer is gonna be in DEEP POO POO doing that BS in California lol

https://jalopnik.com/hyundai-dealer-abandons-and-tows-customer-cars-blames-1843547291

If Hyundai makes them whole, what grounds for a suit would they have?

Back in my former life and depending on that specific state law the owners would have a criminal charge to bring for those whose property was towed away without their knowledge or consent ( they better notify by certified mail).

That act of towing to a different facility without the owners permission (and making them liable for accruing charges) thus denying them access for titled property can be construed as theft by taking and fraud among other possible charges depending on that states laws.

Even when I evict people I have to have a magistrate's order and the sheriff to remove their property from mine.

If he tried to argue "he" was storing it ( which he would) for business closure or any other reason he would then be on the hook for all subsequent charges and the owner held harmless. If he didn't, "duty of care" would hold him responsible.

He would be hung either way depending on how the state law is written.

I just want to know WHO thought this was even a good idea?

Originally Posted by Pew

I have worked with some incredible people in my time at dealers, and other people who are the lowest of scum.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by Pew

I have worked with some incredible people in my time at dealers, and other people who are the lowest of scum.

Same here when I worked at GM dealers in the past. Sadly it was mostly SCUM VS good.

One of my SCUM GARBAGE sales managers at my old GM store in California said many times he wouldn't hire women sales people
mad.gif

Dave

Probably worked out a deal with E3 where he got some cash up front in hand betting E3 would make much more money in the long run when those customers finally tried to get their cars back. Even if Hyundai makes the car owners whole, the state should still nail both Nissani (why didn't he have a Nissan dealership? They seem to have had some shady practices too...) and the owner of E3. Complete divestiture of both businesses with the resulting profits going to all of the employees when they were closed would be a decent start, along with those scumbags having to pay the state for each day of their incarceration would be poetic justice.

Reminds me of A Porsche Audi dealer in Lawrence, MA that sold me a used Audi 100LS with 45K miles on it.

Then I noticed the Oil light coming on in a couple days. Checked and - no oil on the dipstick. So, I filled it (2.5L) and drove a couple days and it came on again! Went home. pulled a spark plug and it was all oily. Brought it back to the dealer and they installed new plugs under the" used car warranty". In a couple days, the oil light was on a again!

Brought it back they said, ..." these cars use some oil - it must be the way you are driving! "

Two days later I was driving up a small hill on the way to the Barber shop- and the engine just quit.
It cranked super fast but no fire.

I Said Uh , oh! this is no good. Checked and sure enough the distributor wasn't turning.

Had it Towed to the Selling Porsche -Audi dealer.

They looked at it, said they had to do a partial tear down.

They did and said it was my fault. The timing chain broke. (?!)

I said, no way this is under powertrain warranty.

They said "We are not going to fix it!" I talked to my salesman and he said he would talk the service manager.

Next day I drove down with my buddy to check on it.

Then I saw that they towed the car out to the street curbside and just threw the disassembled engine parts in the trunk!

I went in to talk to the Owner and Service manager. They said that I " Clearly abused the engine and would not fix it,"

I said, " NO way, it was burning tons of oil from day one, and you would not attempt a fix"..

They stood firm. I said, "I'm going to have to get a lawyer." They Just Chuckled.

Long story short, I got a lawyer ( my Dad's golfing buddy - thanks Dad!) I practiced my court testimony - brushing up on the Audi ( Mercedes) engine technology. and My Failure Mode Analysis. - which was: The cam sprocket bolt came loose then the upper cam sprocket roll pin sheared, losing valve timing subsequently and immediately severely damaging the engine)

Well on court day I was sitting in the hall waiting too be called when My lawyer came out and said that he had reached a
settlement with the Dealer; It was that they would refund my purchase price of the Car ( $2400.00 ) and his layer fee, and I could keep the car. I was happy with this and agreed. My Lawyer later told me that both he and the dealer were impressed with my preparation and the other party understood that, if this went to trail it would be costly and they would very likely loose.

So, I was pretty happy with myself. here. . I wish I was that smart now. But I'm smart enough to NOT buy a used Audi or BMW or Hyundai or KIA
smile.gif

Back