Close Call!😨

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right out of "Final Destination", yikes!..there are a lot of logging trucks in my area, some with load and some without..I always avoid following them if I can help it. Gravel truck's too.. there's a quarry about a mile up the road from me and I hate it when I get stuck behind one...I back waaaay off until I can pass. (the road coming out from my driveway is one lane each way for several miles)

[Linked Image]

Even if they ducked before the logs went through the window they're lucky to be alive. How about that car that got the power line pole right through the windshield between the driver and passenger that happened by the Museum of Flight. That was pure luck or divine intervention too, coming out with only minor injuries. And the crane that smashed an SUV in Seattle with a baby in the back ... unharmed.

https://wqad.com/2019/04/09/couple-...ays-theyre-incredibly-lucky-to-be-alive/

Lots of logging where I live as well
Most of the logging trucks here are not in the best shape
Pretty scary to think they can even travel safely

You better be Careful passing logging trucks! A lady drove under my brothers logging truck empty, and she unfortunately died at the scene. Turned out, her sons were loggers also and knew my brother.

Logging trucks here always do the speed limit or better, I don't pass them, they are the equivalent to an intercity trash truck!

Originally Posted by CT8
Why do people tailgate?

Around here it's the norm. Worse closer to the cities. High levels of traffic.

What can happen is if you were to try to leave a proper amount of space, it'd simply get filled up, and eventually you just keep going slower and slower.

Although following a log truck that closely does seem more like driver inattention than tailgating--doesn't matter how far back you follow, if you fail to use your brakes bad things will happen.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by CT8
Why do people tailgate?

Around here it's the norm. Worse closer to the cities. High levels of traffic.

What can happen is if you were to try to leave a proper amount of space, it'd simply get filled up, and eventually you just keep going slower and slower.

Although following a log truck that closely does seem more like driver inattention than tailgating--doesn't matter how far back you follow, if you fail to use your brakes bad things will happen.

I've been fortunate enough to attend a couple of driving schools and the instructors always mention that insufficient brake pressure is the number one reason why people hit something. The number two reason is that, " "your vehicle goes in the direction your eyes are looking", In other words drivers look at what they're trying to avoid rather than look at where they need to place the car. It's the same reason why people hit vehicles (ex, stopped police cars) parked on the side of the highway.

I usually start to very gradually slow down when getting tail gated very very closely. Eventually they realize that tail gating is not forcing me to go faster, and in fact a bit slower.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why do people tailgate?

Right! My son will be driving in a little over years time and you can bet we'll be spending A LOT of time on the subject of tailgating....

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I usually start to very gradually slow down when getting tail gated very very closely. Eventually they realize that tail gating is not forcing me to go faster, and in fact a bit slower.

Ikr.. it's like, "hey..I was being generous by going 5mphs over the posted limit but now that you're acting like a jerk, we're both doing 5mph under the speed limit!"...‚

Reality is logging truck and also notice Utilities dragging poles have long items sticking out with a couple lights or other flag that is not as readily apparent as the shadow of vehicle.

I saw a telephone pole strapped to wheels pulled by telephone truck into car but luckily down middle of a Jetta right thru back window. No dead people
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back