CJ4 oil still available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gone are the days you could find diesel oil at any shop and didn't have to be a chemist to understand if it was safe for your engine.

I'm not convinced CK-4/SN oils are reliable for our diesel engines, I see CK-4 formulations of the same oil (ie Rotella) with less of all additive levels and now no Moly.

There's a few oils I see that are safe now:
Motocraft diesel oils I think are safe, Ford seems to agree with my assumptions, even with them carrying CK-4 Ford is adamant about 1000ppm phos.
Shaeffer 9000 5W-40 is still CJ4 (last I checked)
Harvest King, still CJ4? (made by Warren oil?)
Lucas Magnum CJ4 (and CI4)
Delvac MX (but this is Ci4... may have to look closer into this one, this oil isn't on many shelves though)

Any others out there that could be suggested?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Fraser434
Gone are the days you could find diesel oil at any shop and didn't have to be a chemist to understand if it was safe for your engine.

I'm not convinced CK-4/SN oils are reliable for our diesel engines, I see CK-4 formulations of the same oil (ie Rotella) with less of all additive levels and now no Moly.

There's a few oils I see that are safe now:
Motocraft diesel oils I think are safe, Ford seems to agree with my assumptions, even with them carrying CK-4 Ford is adamant about 1000ppm phos.
Shaeffer 9000 5W-40 is still CJ4 (last I checked)
Harvest King, still CJ4? (made by Warren oil?)
Lucas Magnum CJ4 (and CI4)
Delvac MX (but this is Ci4... may have to look closer into this one, this oil isn't on many shelves though)

Any others out there that could be suggested?

I highly DOUBT CK4 diesel engine oils are weak or "not good"

If that was the case member dustyroads wouldn't be using DELO 10W30

ANYWAYS: I got tons of DELO XLE 10W30 dirt cheap at autozone as well as 9 gallons of maxlife 15w40 under $8/gallon at Wal Mart that's CJ4

I believe Rotella T5 is CK-4 but not CK-4/SN. My last UOA on this at 5K still showed 63ppm Moly.
Schaeffer 700 is CK-4 but not CK-4/SN

Here you go.

CK-4.jpg

Thank you for your contribution.

Make all the memes you want. What does Ford Motor Company know.
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/docs/January_2017_Updated_CK-4_Position_Statement.pdf

I know the intent of Ford's statement, that they don't approve having CK-4/SN oil with 800ppm max phos, and are concerned with the CK-4/SN deception. still the options are becoming very limited and expensive for 1200+ ppm Phos. oil.

Since you already mentioned Rural King; mine has a lot of CJ4 10W30 all fleet HDEO.

I'm still curious why you think CK4 oils aren't reliable for diesels. The Valvoline Maxlife I have has moly and boron also

I'm not convinced CK-4/SN oils are reliable for our diesel engines
Why aren't you ?

I see CK-4 formulations of the same oil (ie Rotella) with less of all additive levels and now no Moly.
It's entirely possible - or likely - that the additive levels of the past were more than necessary. Maybe a LOT more than necessary. It sounds like multiple oil formulators/blenders have reduced additive levels similarly and came to the same conclusion. They aren't going to do so just because the other guys did unless it's safe to do so.

Come to Australia, I still see this stuff on sale everywhere

Valvoline Super Diesel 15W40 mineral oil
API CH-4/SJ, ACEA A3/B3

Cheap and old school

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I highly DOUBT CK4 diesel engine oils are weak or "not good"

If that was the case member dustyroads wouldn't be using DELO 10W30

You're correct Adam. I've put Delo XLE (a "low phosphorus" CK-4) to the test in real world use and it has worked marvelously. However it's fruitless to say anymore. I've given up on trying to get people to understand the benefits of the new oils. Then again, not many people use their diesel vehicles in a way that pushes the oil and it doesn't matter to them. For me, CK-4 has been a true benefit to my business.

Too bad you are not close to Houston, I still have gallons of synthetic CJ-4 (Mobil Delvac and Chevron Delo 5W-40), I could sell to you.

Would take you up on that 2015_PSD if closer as well...now using Valvoline CK-4 5W-40 as ok per Ford's list.

Last time I looked at Rural King all fleet it was still CJ4. Not sure if it's Warren Performance Products or Warren Oil Company Dunn, NC.

Thank you for your contribution.

Make all the memes you want. What does Ford Motor Company know.
https://www.flsheriffs.org/uploads/docs/January_2017_Updated_CK-4_Position_Statement.pdf

I know the intent of Ford's statement, that they don't approve having CK-4/SN oil with 800ppm max phos, and are concerned with the CK-4/SN deception. still the options are becoming very limited and expensive for 1200+ ppm Phos. oil.

Here you go. Read the label on the back. It's CK-4 and meets Ford WSS-M2C171-F1.
smile.gif

CCF649A6-A8AF-44AD-B034-73AE851BFE40.jpeg

53D3D574-421D-4307-BB38-162E5AAC052E.jpeg

Last edited:

Plenty of HDEOs do not used moly. I've not used an HDEO with moly in it at least as long as I knew moly was an oil additive.

Here in Spain most HDEO are still CI-4
But probably not because they are outdated, as most also carry a ACEA spec such as E7, for example the Shell Rimula R4X i am using.

Not sure why this might be? perhaps too high SAPS or too high levels of Antiwear additives?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back