Chrome Polish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned my headlight with a Scrubber pad. I usually put a coat of wax on the light but I ran out. All I have is turtle wax Chrome Polish. Can I use it? Thank you

I wouldn't because that is a metal polish and offers no protection like a wax or sealant. You just have to go buy some wax.

I've used chrome polish on headlight lenses to remove haze followed by a good wax. I'd use the chrome polish before using a scrubber pad as it may be doing damage the the lenses.

Last edited:
Chrome polish is for chrome. Get a proper headlight restoration kit like 3M followed by clearcoat.

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I wouldn't because that is a metal polish and offers no protection like a wax or sealant. You just have to go buy some wax.

Not true, at least not for Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. It definitely leaves some sort of protection because I've seen it bead water. However, I wouldn't recommend using it on headlight lenses...

The last time I used chrome Polish was on a vehicle with real chrome, not the stuff of the last 30-40 years.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The last time I used chrome Polish was on a vehicle with real chrome, not the stuff of the last 30-40 years.

What is not real about the chrome used over the 30-40 years? Chrome is chrome...

Originally Posted by atikovi
Chrome polish is for chrome. Get a proper headlight restoration kit like 3M followed by clearcoat.

Which is a waste of money and more work.

A special kit does nothing you can't DIY with the bulk abrasives you already have, and clearcoat is foolish because it's just an extra layer that has to be stripped off to do them again, while if you don't put the clearcoat on, you can touch them up continuously with very little effort and no extra expense.

Marketing tricked you real good.

Originally Posted by Dave9

A special kit does nothing you can't DIY with the bulk abrasives you already have, and clearcoat is foolish because it's just an extra layer that has to be stripped off to do them again, while if you don't put the clearcoat on, you can touch them up continuously with very little effort and no extra expense.

Yep, marketing tricked me real good. While you get to enjoy touching them up every couple of months, I endure the misery of not having to engage in such quality time with my headlights for years to come.

Yep, marketing tricked me real good. While you get to enjoy touching them up every couple of months, I endure the misery of not having to engage in such quality time with my headlights for years to come.

Sorry, but you aren't going to get years out of the clear coat. It MIGHT last a year, but you will have to repolish the lenses again even with the clear coat...

Originally Posted by grampi

Sorry, but you aren't going to get years out of the clear coat. It MIGHT last a year, but you will have to repolish the lenses again even with the clear coat...

Wrong. I did the headlights on my wife's '07 Mazda 6, mother-in-law's '06 Accord, and sister-in-law's '12 Altima about 5 years ago. All 3 have held up fine to this day. Simply sanded the clear off them....no polishing whatsoever...and shot them with UV clear.

Originally Posted by GoldDot40
Wrong. I did the headlights on my wife's '07 Mazda 6, mother-in-law's '06 Accord, and sister-in-law's '12 Altima about 5 years ago. All 3 have held up fine to this day. Simply sanded the clear off them....no polishing whatsoever...and shot them with UV clear.

I've never had any clear coat last even a year. What did you use?

If you have a local auto paint supply house, ask them if they sell a product called SpeedoKote clear coat. It is usually mixed and sprayed from a professional spray gun. However, the paint store can mix it as an aerosol in a rattle can. It is normally not offered this way for retail, so it needs to be made up on-site.

If you have a local auto paint supply house, ask them if they sell a product called SpeedoKote clear coat. It is usually mixed and sprayed from a professional spray gun. However, the paint store can mix it as an aerosol in a rattle can. It is normally not offered this way for retail, so it needs to be made up on-site.

Cool, I'll have to look into this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back