"Cheap fix - Spun rod bearing with engine knocking - 2011 Hyundai Sonata"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this exact same "repair" on an Oliver diesel tractor about 10 years ago using sandpaper and a replacement bearing from Agco. It was on my brother's tractor and the con rod journal was pitted from a spun bearing.
He still has this tractor and uses it for light duty work. At the same time, you wonder how many times this happens to cars that are sold on the used car market.

My dad who was born in 1903 talked about using leather to make bearings. And I'm pretty sure he was talking about main and rod bearings. I don't know how long those "bearings" lasted, but they worked for a while. And if you have little money and lots of time, why not? I expect he was talking about life in the '30s during the great depression.

They also renewed bearings using molten lead but I'm not clear how that was done.

No doubt those were for low RPM, low stress engines for vehicles that weren't expected to go very fast. I remember a friend who was upset because I drove his +/- 1950 Studebaker home at 60 MPH. He thought 50 was a more appropriate top speed. Hence the common expression in our area "going like 60".

Originally Posted by ecotourist
My dad who was born in 1903 talked about using leather to make bearings. And I'm pretty sure he was talking about main and rod bearings. I don't know how long those "bearings" lasted, but they worked for a while. And if you have little money and lots of time, why not? I expect he was talking about life in the '30s during the great depression.

They also renewed bearings using molten lead but I'm not clear how that was done.

No doubt those were for low RPM, low stress engines for vehicles that weren't expected to go very fast. I remember a friend who was upset because I drove his +/- 1950 Studebaker home at 60 MPH. He thought 50 was a more appropriate top speed. Hence the common expression in our area "going like 60".

My first job in HS was at an antique Ford parts shop. The owner showed me how to rebuild early flathead V8s and Model A motors. Pouring bearings was fun, he always did that part, but then I'd use a line bore with a sharp bit precisely positioned to manually cut out the bearings to the proper clearances. It was really interesting. I'm assuming not many people left do that these days

Had an insane neighbor who tried this method on a GM V6. I'm not at all sure it worked as I never saw the car again, but he did come home with a oil burning Mitsubishi instead. I do remember he had a very difficult time cleaning up the rod journal.

That Hyundai will run several more years because the mechanic put in a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer to give extra oil protection. He said so near the end of the video.

Originally Posted by Aero540T
My first job in HS was at an antique Ford parts shop. The owner showed me how to rebuild early flathead V8s and Model A motors. Pouring bearings was fun, he always did that part, but then I'd use a line bore with a sharp bit precisely positioned to manually cut out the bearings to the proper clearances. It was really interesting. I'm assuming not many people left do that these days
I think big boats still use babbitt bearings. They also still run bunker fuel last I checked, both of those must be 100 year old technology.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
Why bother?

These things have a darn near unwaivering 10y/150k engine warranty

This vintage Theta 2.4 & 2.0T are all guaranteed an eventual knocky death due to machining debris left in them from new

Hyundai/KIA still can't sit down with all the lawsuits

Why not drop it off at a dealer for a free short block, plus the other dozen or so open recalls it probably has out for it?

+1, from the color of the dipstick handle the car was never even checked by the dealer yet.

i would attempt a visit to a dealer. these motors had a major tsb for inspection of premature wear/piling problems and a software update for the crank sensor. many people have gotten replacement blocks

today we have superior technology + precise machine work BUT BUT in the quest for more profits thru high production sheet happens!!! with todays high labor cost in the usa time is big $$$$, some countries have cheaper labor but their equipment may not be as good! watching "how its made" shows extremely complicated machinery but still human error is there to some extent. money hungry manufacturers are likely the problem + CEO's making millions!!

Originally Posted by ecotourist

my late dad talked about filing the rod caps to tighten up the bearings on a Model " T " .

The bearings were babbit , I think poured into the rod and rod cap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back