Chat about Nat Gas price vs. oil price....

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me here in Oklahoma, natural gas has always been cheaper. But, it does continue to climb. Don't think that will change as long as we are in a global market...don't get me started on that bunch of B.S. As the dollar falls and OPEC goes Euro, we are going to be continously taking it up the gluteous maximus.
.....I'm still freaking out on the post on OPEC going Euro...that is some scarry stuff...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
For me here in Oklahoma, natural gas has always been cheaper. But, it does continue to climb. Don't think that will change as long as we are in a global market...don't get me started on that bunch of B.S. As the dollar falls and OPEC goes Euro, we are going to be continously taking it up the gluteous maximus.
.....I'm still freaking out on the post on OPEC going Euro...that is some scarry stuff...

Here's a post from another forum to help put it into perspective for you:

"Why would it make any difference at all if oil is priced in Euros or US Dollars? It might make a psychological difference, which would wear off quickly. Would it mean that oil producers would only accept Euros as payment for their oil? No, you are simply changing the way the price is calculated. Right now the dollar weakens and the price of oil goes up. If you price oil in Euros, then the dollar weakens and the price of oil in Euros stays constant while the price of oil in terms of dollars goes up..... same as it does now."

Last edited:
Yes, but then you must ultimately have Euros to pay for it. Since EU isn't about to open its markets to FULL global access ..where are the Euros going to come from for the rest of the planet? Our "strong $$" hasn't been as strong since we opened the gates in 1973.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Look at home heating prices for example. Look at benchmark prices of crude.....vs. natural gas....thoughts?

Natural gas in my last bill.
Connection fee $0.50 per day.
Gas costs 1.65c per MJ.

Heating Oil 3.2c per MJ
Heating oil if I sell my diesel car 2.2c per MJ

edit...china are buying our gas for 1.3c/MJ

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes, but then you must ultimately have Euros to pay for it. Since EU isn't about to open its markets to FULL global access ..where are the Euros going to come from for the rest of the planet? Our "strong $$" hasn't been as strong since we opened the gates in 1973.

I think that's why Iran's plan was to sell it to whoever wanted it in their own currency or even gold.

For large industrial users here. A thousand cubic feet of gas will run $7 to $8. The equivalent amount of heating oil would be about 7 gallons at $2.60 a gallon for about $18.20.

There was a time not that long ago when you could buy heating oil for less than the equivalent amount of natural gas.

Of course natural gas is a very seasonal market and on coldest days the spot price can really jump.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aM807WS6NTCE&refer=home

Quote:
Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) -- OAO Gazprom, the world's largest natural-gas exporter, may start selling its crude and gas production in rubles rather than dollars and euros after the U.S. currency weakened.

``We are seriously thinking about selling our resources in rubles,'' Alexander Medvedev, Gazprom's deputy chief executive officer, told reporters today in New York. He didn't give a specific timeline for the decision.
The dollar's value isn't likely to be affected if the switch is limited to Gazprom because the volume of trading in Russian oil isn't enough to drag down international demand for the U.S. currency, said Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy & Economic Research in Winchester, Massachusetts.
Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil supplier, fought off an attempt this month by Iran and Venezuela to get the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries to discuss pricing oil in different currencies rather than in dollars.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

Yup. It's a big idea, a new world order!

Meaning to say that at least the Euro is still 15% backed by something like gold. Nazi gold, but gold nonetheless. When is the release date for the Amero, anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back