Changing oil in a F-550 7.3L PS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Is there any trick to changing oil/filter in a 2001 7.3L poerstroke? I assume its like any other engine; drain oil, reomove old filter, pre-fill new filter as full as possible and install, replace drain plug and fill engine with new oil. I have access to the MC filter and Delo 15w40 oil. The vehicle is kept in a heated garage so 15w40 should be ok for winter.

Mike,

No problem with the 15W40 oil in the winter. The Motorcraft oil filter is FL-1995 and make sure to tighten the filter 1 1/2 turns after the gasket makes contact with the base, using a filter wrench. (These instructions are on the box of the filter also). Make sure the bucket you are draining into can hold 13 quarts of oil. Pre-fill the FF, and change the copper gasket on the drain plug if you have one. I always changed the gasket until I got a Fumoto valve.

smile.gif

The filter is heavy, be careful not to lose it taking it down. I have been loosening the filter then putting a nail through the bottom to drain it first.

Wally usually has pretty good prices on the MC 1995 filters. Costco usually has good prices on Delo.

I concur with draining the filter prior to taking it off. Of course make sure you loosen it first before you puncture the filter. I also prefill the new filter before installing it.

I also concur on the fumuto valve, makes changing the oil a breeze.

biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back