Change out oil after hard winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody,

My sister came over yesterday and asked me if we should change the oil in her 08 Acura TL 3.2L that has alittle over 5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM due to our cold winter? She primarily only drives about 5 miles a day. We had a very cold December and January this winter season.

Dale

I personally would as the one tough guard i ran to 10k before with EDGE looked kinda wavy so i would change oil and filter

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that hard to believe. Women drive everywhere. I would change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Change it only if it's convenient to do so otherwise, she can leave PUPP in longer. I can't define longer. Others will chime in with other answers. I'd love to hear myself what others say.
smile.gif

If she's a short stripper, she should consider running conventional oil -- unless the owners manual requires synthetic.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd change it. Cold, short trips, 5k, 30% OLM...

Feels right to me.

Yep, severe conditions - cold and short tripped - and get a UOA while you're at it, so as to be prepared for next year.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM

Run the OLM down to zero. Don't bother changing it before then.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
If she's a short stripper, she should consider running conventional oil -- unless the owners manual requires synthetic.

There's gotta be some good jokes in here somewhere.....

I also in Pa and based on my previous Blackstone uoa the flashpoint drops significantly over the winter. I observed a 30-40 F flashpoint drop despite driving 40 mi to work each way. In the summer, there is minimal or zero drop in FP.

She has one of the best and most expensive oils made. Just keep it topped off and follow the OLM - even that is likely conservative. Check her tire pressure.

Heard a story one time. A guy lent his daughter a thousand bucks. She would come by with a $100 check each month and they would have a nice visit. After 10 months, the debt was paid off. On the 11 th and 12 th month, she didn’t show up. He went over to her place and gave her another check for a thousand bucks and told her she could drop by monthly with $100. Cherish that your sister drops by for that oil change!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello Everybody,

My sister came over yesterday and asked me if we should change the oil in her 08 Acura TL 3.2L that has alittle over 5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM due to our cold winter? She primarily only drives about 5 miles a day. We had a very cold December and January this winter season.

Dale

You can trust the OLM and the engineers that designed it, or strangers on the internet telling you to change it. Your choice.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Kestas

There's gotta be some good jokes in here somewhere.....

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back