Change out oil after hard winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran PP in my son's car, same conditions as noted by OP, and about 3,000 miles. 2.2 Liter GM ecotec. The filter was sludgy, wavy and sucked in from the pressure. The oil sludgy as well. Just nasty.
If it was my sister, I would change the oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Winter is over?

It sure feels like it's on it's last legs up in the northeast, it's 52 in my neck of the woods right now and I'm sure it's even warmer in PA. We probably won't be seeing any polar vortex like conditions in the month of March either.

Patman: its 59f here and yesterday was 49f and all day rain. From last monday to this morning we have had like 6"+ rainfall.

I hope march is warmer ad this week they are saying low 60's
smile.gif

I'd definitely change it as conditions described fall under "severe use." Pennzoil & Mobil 1 run rebates when a 5 Qts of oil could be had for about $12. Even without rebates fresh oil is relatively cheap.

So if she only drives about 5 miles a day and has 5000 miles on the oil, it has been in the car roughly 1000 days which is almost 3 years. I probably would change the oil if it had been in my car 3 years.

When is the last date that she had an oil change?

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello Everybody,

My sister came over yesterday and asked me if we should change the oil in her 08 Acura TL 3.2L that has alittle over 5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM due to our cold winter? She primarily only drives about 5 miles a day. We had a very cold December and January this winter season.

Dale

Some days I put on less than that and most of the the time the engine never gets to operating temp in the winter, I consider that extreme severe service. I would wait until the beginning of April to make sure the cold is over and change it.

I would also consider conventional and go to 6 month OCI's since she is a short tripper.

I would change it I have a window to do a few of my fleet this week as we will be in the 50'sin northern Illinois 25-30 bucks is piece of mind to me

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Kestas
If she's a short stripper, she should consider running conventional oil -- unless the owners manual requires synthetic.

There's gotta be some good jokes in here somewhere.....

Oh geez... of all the autocorrect snafus, I had to have this one bite me!

I could fix this, but I'll let it stand.

Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Hello Everybody,

My sister came over yesterday and asked me if we should change the oil in her 08 Acura TL 3.2L that has alittle over 5000 miles on the PUPP 5W20 with 30% remaining on the OLM due to our cold winter? She primarily only drives about 5 miles a day. We had a very cold December and January this winter season.

Dale

You can trust the OLM and the engineers that designed it, or strangers on the internet telling you to change it. Your choice.

Yeah, not totally sure about that. The last UOA I did for our 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer showed the viscosity had dropped well into the 20 weight category using Motorcraft 5W-30 for only 14 weeks, SUS 51.8/cST 7.82, from August 23rd til December 5th. The Ford OLM showed 58% life left on the oil. Yes, the wear metals were ok and the oil showed a TBN of 3.6 but what would they be at 10,000 miles or 0% oil life on the OLM? Just asking. OPPS! forgot that this was over only 4,275 miles.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Q: Why did the man keep throwing Monopoly Money at the stripper? A: Because she kept putting fake [censored] in his face!
Q: What do you call a male strip club? A: A cockpit.
Q: What do you call a 350-pound stripper? A: Broke!
Q: What's the difference between a dead stripper and a Cadillac? A: I don't have a Cadillac in my garage
So I opened a strip club and called it erectile dysfunction, but it was a flop and no one came.
Q: What's the difference between a magician and a stripper? A: One has a cunning stunt...
Q: What do you call a stripper with her hand down her panties? A: Self Employed!
Q: Why are only 5% of strippers touch-typists? A: The rest are hunt'n peckers.

Leave it in til the OLM hits 0%

^
lol.gif

I'd go to wal mart and get a new filter for a couple bucks and just change that, and only because of the short trips and an assumption that the filter media is soaked with moisture. The Pennzoil Ultra Plat isn't even a conventional oil, and the OLM is programmed for a conventional oil... if you changed it with 30% left on the OLM, that'd probably be a waste.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Hello Everybody,

Dale

You can trust the OLM and the engineers that designed it, or strangers on the internet telling you to change it. Your choice.

Yeah, not totally sure about that. The last UOA I did for our 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer showed the viscosity had dropped well into the 20 weight category using Motorcraft 5W-30 for only 14 weeks, SUS 51.8/cST 7.82, from August 23rd til December 5th. The Ford OLM showed 58% life left on the oil. Yes, the wear metals were ok and the oil showed a TBN of 3.6 but what would they be at 10,000 miles or 0% oil life on the OLM? Just asking. OPPS! forgot that this was over only 4,275 miles.

Whimsey

So far he's been told to change it, don't change it and change just the filter. Since he can only make one choice, does he choose what a stranger on the internet tells him to do or trust the OLM? At least in your case you did a UOA and have something to base your decision on. In this case the OP,and everyone telling him what he should do,doesn't have even the slightest idea what condition his oil or filter is in. So, like I said, his choice is trust the OLM or a random stranger on the internet.

Yes.. short trips all winter long.. i live the same scenario..
I dont follow OLM in these conditions

I also run PP and PPUP..

Drop the oil when convenient..

Originally Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL
Yes.. short trips all winter long.. i live the same scenario..
I dont follow OLM in these conditions

I also run PP and PPUP..

Drop the oil when convenient..

Emphasize the words warm and convenient!

I am going to use the car today and put about 40 miles on it where I have to go. Was gonna change the oil when I get back with the new Shell Rotella Multi Grade 5W30. I have used nothing but a 20 grade in this engine since she purchased it in 2012 with 87,xxx miles on it. Does that sound like a good plan or stick with the 20 grade motor oil? I do have a 5 quart jug of PYB 5W20 and 1 quart of PUPP 5W20 out in the garage. Was going to mix 3.5 quarts of PYB with the one quart of PUPP. What do use suggest?

Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back