Change now or wait a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new '19 Kia Sorento with the 3.3 NA V6 engine in December. I now have 19xx miles and will probably have 2000 by Monday afternoon. The manual calls for 5W-30, API SM or above, ILSAC GF-4 or above, ACEA-A5 or above. The manual doesn't specify synthetic (unless those requirements indicate that it's synthetic), so I don't know if it came with synthetic from the factory. I'll guess not. I've already purchased some CARQUEST (by Amalie) full Synth 5W-30 D1G2, SN Plus GF-5 oil. My question is, should I change out the factory oil this Monday when it's predicted to be near 60 degrees and vehicle will have 2000 miles, or wait another month when I'll have approximately 3000 miles on factory fill and hopefully find a warm day then. My driving is roughly 60% short trips and 40% highway. Severe usage schedule calls for oil change at 3750. So, change now, closer to 3000, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

ACEA A5 oils are also available;

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Castrol Edge EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 'vanilla' 5W-30

the carquest is not.

Originally Posted by tundraotto

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Castrol Edge EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 'vanilla' 5W-30

the carquest is not.

Does ACEA A5 make it synthetic? Should I take the CARQUEST back and get one of those you have listed? D1G2 is pretty good oil, no?

Kia seems to be hooked up with Total Quartz. Don't know much about them. Synthetic??

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
So, change now, closer to 3000, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

I've never seen any data that says it matters. My vote is "doesn't matter". Why do you think you're severe usage?

Do you meet this criteria:

Repeated short distance driving.
Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
Extensive use of brakes.
Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
Driving on rough or muddy roads.
Driving in mountainous areas.
Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation.
Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
I would have changed the factory fill by 1,000 miles

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Nothing says that ACEA A5 oils have to be synthetic - but I dont know of any conventional oils that meet the standard.

ACEA A5B5-10

ACEA A5/B5 oils are Upper Mainline lubricants. They are designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines that are specifically designed to use a low viscosity oil. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines.

ACEA A5/B5 oils are typically low HTHS (â¤3.5cP) SAE 5W-30 based on API Group III base oils. The main physical and chemical requirements for ACEA A5/B5 are shown below:

Requirement Method Unit Limit
HTHS viscosity CEC L-36-A-90 cP ⥠2.9 and ⤠3.5
Sulphated Ash ASTM D874 %wt ⤠1.6
Phosphorus ASTM D5185 %wt Report
Sulphur ASTM D5185 %wt Report
Evaporation loss (NOACK) CEC L-40-A-93 % ⤠13
Total Base Number ASTM D2896 mgKOH/g ⥠8.0
The low HTHS (â¤3.5cP) required by ACEA A5/B5 limits the number of additional performance claims that can be coupled with ACEA A5/B5.

Changing it now, or 1000 miles ago, or in another 1000 miles will result in zero difference over the life of your vehicle.
Whenever you choose to change it, up to the OEM recommended interval, will only result in you feeling better about the situation. It will have no material impact on the life of the vehicle.
This stuff just isn't that complicated, no matter what the naysayers will purport.

Carry on!!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by tiger862
Change at normal oil change time. Never seen proof of early oil change saving engines.

Agree...

Make it easier on yourself, Drive it to 5000 miles, change it, and then change it every 5k miles after. Easy numbers, easy to remember, easy cadence. Use synthetic, why not at this point in 2020 no matter if the manual says to use synthetic or not?

Originally Posted by BucDan
Make it easier on yourself, Drive it to 5000 miles, change it, and then change it every 5k miles after. Easy numbers, easy to remember, easy cadence. Use synthetic, why not at this point in 2020 no matter if the manual says to use synthetic or not?

That's fair. I changed factory oil at 5k.

I changed my 2020 Kia Soul X-Line at 1600 miles. I decided to wait a little longer for full synthetic thou. So I opted for Pennzoil Gold Syn Blend instead. That will get kicked to the curb at 4000 miles. Then I will upgrade it to Mobil-1 full synthetic and change it every 4K, which is easier to remember than every 3750 (Severe Service)

Using Carquest Full Synthetic this OCI is fine. I recommend (many others here too) to use OEM HyunKia oil filters. (Both dealers offer the exact same one for 3.3).

Last edited:
I would change it now. Going forward every 4,500 miles. This is a GDI engine so use synthetic.

Should I take the CARQUEST back and get one of those you have listed? D1G2 is pretty good oil, no?

If the oil carriers Dexos1-Gen2, then yes it's good to go.

Originally Posted by tundraotto

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30
Castrol Edge EP 5W-30
Mobil 1 'vanilla' 5W-30

the carquest is not.

Does ACEA A5 make it synthetic? Should I take the CARQUEST back and get one of those you have listed? D1G2 is pretty good oil, no?

Kia seems to be hooked up with Total Quartz. Don't know much about them. Synthetic??

That's up to you. I would make sure whatever you use meets the spec stated in the manual. Mine says ACEA A5 and then gives options for when that is not available (they are available). Depends on what you expect from warranty coverage.

My driving is roughly 60% short trips and 40% highway. Severe usage schedule calls for oil change at 3750. So, change now, closer to 3000, or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

Its a DI and you short trip it. I'd do the 3750 especially in winter. After a few typical short trips, pull a uoa sample to see what the fuel dilution is for your engine, base your oci on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99
Why do you think you're severe usage?

As I've posted many times, it's like everyone wants to believe their driving style/conditions are sooooo "severe". I'd say that the 40% highway driving alone keeps it out of the "service" duty cycle.

The manual calls for 5W-30, API SM or above, ILSAC GF-4 or above, ACEA-A5 or above.
If you are quoting the manual accurately, they are indicating any API SM OR GF-4 OR ACEA-A5 oil is acceptable. Just checked the manual and that is the case.... Let's take two of those specs - API SM and GF-4. Those were released in 2004 and in place until 2010-2011 when API SN and GF-5 superseded them. So your engine is perfectly happy with engine oil with 15-year old specs, i.e. it's a simple engine that needs no special oil.

My driving is roughly 60% short trips and 40% highway. Severe usage schedule calls for oil change at 3750. So, change now, closer to 3000, or it doesn't matter?
Manual says 7500 miles for usage you've described. Wait until May (~5000 miles) or June (~6000 miles) to change it and you certainly won't have to worry about timing it for a day with good weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back