Champion XC12YC plugs..anything better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Husqvarna riding mower calls for Champion XC12YC sparkplugs. I'm approaching 100 hrs on it. I the Champion XC12YC a decent plug or is there a better option? Just wondering…

I am by no means an expert, but I usually go with the manufacturer recommended brand/model unless I have a reason not to (i.e., to solve a problem). For example, my Hitachi equip uses Champion, Honda uses NGK, etc and i have never had any problems with this approach.

Last edited:
If I were replacing them I'd use the NGK equivalent. But 100 hours is way too early to consider replacement.

NGK BKR5E
smile.gif

I have used Champion plugs in virtually everything for the past 50 years without any problems. Only time I used other brands was if the customer requested it.

MY 20 HP B&S twin came with Champions and I replace them with same. Never a problem so I see no reason to change. Most engines for lawn equipment suggest 50 to 100 hours for spark plug change. Ed

Bought that same Champion plug at O'reillys for about $2 back in the Spring of this year. Made in USA, and it's been doing just fine.

Thread, gap, reach and heat range are the only important things to consider. An air gap is an air gap no matter which company produced it - X voltage is required to jump Y gap.

Brand means nothing.

Originally Posted by RichardZ
My Husqvarna riding mower calls for Champion XC12YC sparkplugs. I'm approaching 100 hrs on it. I the Champion XC12YC a decent plug or is there a better option? Just wondering…

Did it perform ok for you??? I never fool with success and I have always used Champions in all my small engines and never had any problems with them. If the plug looks ok, regap and reinstall them. I have plugs with close to 300 hours on them and they still look and perform well.

Last edited:
I don't see that it matters what you use, as long as it's the equivalent plug to what's specified. Lots of folks say, use Japanese plugs in Japanese engines, American plugs in American engines etc. I blasphemed and used Autolite in my Kawasaki, and it's running just fine. Does it run better than NGK, I can't see that it does, I can't tell any difference between decent plugs. I've read where some say one brand or the other simply won't run in their engine, who knows, I can't imagine it's a big deal.

Originally Posted by bchannell
I don't see that it matters what you use, as long as it's the equivalent plug to what's specified. Lots of folks say, use Japanese plugs in Japanese engines, American plugs in American engines etc. I blasphemed and used Autolite in my Kawasaki, and it's running just fine. Does it run better than NGK, I can't see that it does, I can't tell any difference between decent plugs. I've read where some say one brand or the other simply won't run in their engine, who knows, I can't imagine it's a big deal.

When you put many hours on a small engine that stress the spark plug on a commercial level you will notice the difference . Again any spark plug will work fine for home usage with LITTLE hour usage that doesn't have stress on the spark plug vs commercial.

That said Champion is crap vs NGK on a commercial level from my experience not the same league . I don't trust CHAMPION plugs. With many hours of usage stress on a spark plug I'll take the NGK from my experience.

Originally Posted by Mamala Bay
Originally Posted by bchannell

When you put many hours on a small engine that stress the spark plug on a commercial level you will notice the difference . Again any spark plug will work fine for home usage with LITTLE hour usage that doesn't have stress on the spark plug vs commercial.

That said Champion is crap vs NGK on a commercial level from my experience not the same league . I don't trust CHAMPION plugs. With many hours of usage stress on a spark plug I'll take the NGK from my experience.

I have used Champions in farm use environments and that exceeds any stress that is encountered in commercial use. I never had any problems with them. I have had issues with NGK for home use and will not use them.

NGK or Bosch has never given me any trouble at all. From chainsaws to chippers to 300hp+ tuned 4cyl's.

I see no reason to use anything else, personally.

I've never had an issue with Champions, and I've also never noticed a difference between plug brands besides the Chinese "Torch" brand which come on the clone engines and are terrible. I believe NGK to be the best quality, but a lawn mower will run just fine on Champions, and it won't run any better on something more expensive. Just use the manufacturer recommended plug and change it at the interval they suggest.

Originally Posted by RichardZ
Thanks for all the responses! The mower does run fine. I guess I'll stick with the Champions..

You're choice, NGK last longer more durable and better starting than Champion. NGK is a better built plug. A good test was a defective Kohler small engine splash lube system which ran much hotter than normal. The Champion plugs wouldn't last hard starting just kept fouling out. In NGK took the heat and beatings and kept on ticking...get the picture.

We gave the Champion a fair test but after 5 Champion plugs that failed in a short time and the first NGK that kept ticking I'l take the NGK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back