CFB ranking system is still a joke

I'm convinced the ranking system is more about team popularity than how good they are. Once again OSU was way over ranked. Luckily this season we found about it in week two, instead of watching them get blown out in the play-offs. But have no fear OSU fans, I'm sure no matter what takes place over the rest of the season, they will be again ranked in the top 4. Rankings are more about viewership and sponsors than actually assessing teams. It's just a shame for the teams they aren't ranked according to their ability to play ball, because I think a lot of teams will never have a chance to get into the big dance because they aren't popular enough...

OSU needs to get their business together, or they will have issues with the rest of the Big Ten, which has had some improvement in the last couple years. The games at IU & "that school up North" are going to be tough ones. Neither the Hoosiers nor Wolverines will be lacking in motivation...

OSU needs to get their business together, or they will have issues with the rest of the Big Ten, which has had some improvement in the last couple years. The games at IU & "that school up North" are going to be tough ones. Neither the Hoosiers nor Wolverines will be lacking in motivation...
Yep, if they lose another game, even the convoluted rankers will have a hard time putting them in the top 4...

OSU, Texas, Notre Dame are always in the rankings and more often than not over-rated. Waiting til week 4 or so to start ranking would be a better method but advertisers and networks want ranked matchups in the early weeks to draw interest/revenue.

Rankings in the first couple weeks are worthless anyway due to the amount of cupcake games the top teams schedule with the 1 in a 100 years exception of Georgia/Clemson this year.

OSU, Texas, Notre Dame are always in the rankings and more often than not over-rated. Waiting til week 4 or so to start ranking would be a better method but advertisers and networks want ranked matchups in the early weeks to draw interest/revenue.

I agree with your thinking.

I would say wait until 6 or 7 games into the season. Usually the dust starts to settle out typically by then.

Key word usually... I remember when UVa started out 7-0 in 1990 and really looked great... Lost to Georgia tech at home 41-38 after blowing a 14 point lead at halftime. UVa finished the regular season 8-3 and still had a Sugar Bowl invitation. Which was due to how those invitations to most of the bowls were done at the time. Even then UVa had a 16-0 halftime lead on #10 Tennessee at the half.... And lost 23-22.

UVa finished the regular season unranked and yet still going to a big New year's day bowl game. After that game UVa actually finished ranked #24 or #23 I think. Wished the Cavs had finished the regular season 10-1... They had the talent to have done that. I think the loss to Georgia tech messed them up bad mentally the rest of the way. Guess their mindset was championship or bust.

Georgia Tech went on to " share" the national championship with Colorado. Tech finished 11-1-1.

I agree with your thinking.

I would say wait until 6 or 7 games into the season. Usually the dust starts to settle out typically by then.

Key word usually... I remember when UVa started out 7-0 in 1990 and really looked great... Lost to Georgia tech at home 41-38 after blowing a 14 point lead at halftime. UVa finished the regular season 8-3 and still had a Sugar Bowl invitation. Which was due to how those invitations to most of the bowls were done at the time. Even then UVa had a 16-0 halftime lead on #10 Tennessee at the half.... And lost 23-22.

UVa finished the regular season unranked and yet still going to a big New year's day bowl game. After that game UVa actually finished ranked #24 or #23 I think. Wished the Cavs had finished the regular season 10-1... They had the talent to have done that. I think the loss to Georgia tech messed them up bad mentally the rest of the way. Guess their mindset was championship or bust.

Georgia Tech went on to " share" the national championship with Colorado. Tech finished 11-1-1.
KU 2007 season is a great example also.

Back