Originally Posted by domer10
Originally Posted by Trav
What 20w50? This one doesn't use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2...d=1583535147&s=automotive&sr=1-2

This one doesn't either.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/LQM20262.htm?pn=LQM-20262

And neither does this one.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/liqui-moly-hd-synth-20w50-street-engine-oil

Ceratec is the same crap in the regard it also falls out of suspension and brings little or nothing of value. I don't see them using that in any of their own product either.
The snake oil market is one huge profit maker. I wonder if they still sell pills you drop down the plug holes for an instant engine rebuild.

And you beloved "oil is the only thing you need, from manufacturer cause they know best" seems to fall out of suspension as well. But let me guess, that's totally acceptable.

Over the last 48 years I have measured the internals of many engines and seen engines with over 200K on them that have only used one brand and weight of oil their whole life that had wear so minimal the parts did not need to be changed or engine bored. The only reason the engine was apart was to change a stretched cam chain.
So yes the engine oil alone did a fantastic job with not one drop of snake oil added.

What 20w50? This one doesn't use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2...d=1583535147&s=automotive&sr=1-2

This one doesn't either.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/LQM20262.htm?pn=LQM-20262

And neither does this one.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/liqui-moly-hd-synth-20w50-street-engine-oil

Ceratec is the same crap in the regard it also falls out of suspension and brings little or nothing of value. I don't see them using that in any of their own product either.
The snake oil market is one huge profit maker. I wonder if they still sell pills you drop down the plug holes for an instant engine rebuild.

And you beloved "oil is the only thing you need, from manufacturer cause they know best" seems to fall out of suspension as well. But let me guess, that's totally acceptable.

Over the last 48 years I have measured the internals of many engines and seen engines with over 200K on them that have only used one brand and weight of oil their whole life that had wear so minimal the parts did not need to be changed or engine bored. The only reason the engine was apart was to change a stretched cam chain.
So yes the engine oil alone did a fantastic job with not one drop of snake oil added.

Yep - I've had cars like this. Adding Ceratec/MoS2 won't hurt it though and if I want to spend a few bucks once in a while on a friction modfiier, well, that's on me to decide.

I don't like the additive fallout in the new oil either, but there is a huge difference between something that can stay in the container and/or go back into solution once the oil warms up, and something that falls out during use and will not solubilize.

I used Ceratec last year after reading about it for years as I just wanted to try it. I used it with Mobil One and a Fram Ultra and my experience was different than most I'm not exactly sure why tho. When I originally added the product I did not notice anything different at all, around the 1k-2k mark my motor was noticeably louder than any prior time in history no placebo it was much louder even my wife commented on how loud it was.

I don't know exact what caused it as I've not read any experiences similar to this but after 3k total miles I drained it and put used a new filter and replaced the oil. At first it was back to normal but 500-ish miles in the noise returned and stayed until I trained that oil and replaced the filter again at about 2k miles.

This car has always been very quiet, however it was loud at roughly 3k rpm and sounded like a tick/knock just very difficult to miss. This is coming from a vehicle which is hardly audible at idle outside of the vehicle. After the second change the noise has gone away and not returned I drove the vehicle to North Dakota and back to Mississippi and it ran quietly and perfectly fine.

I don't want to blame the loud tick/knock sound on Ceratec but it's never made any noise like that in the 5 years I've owned it and after the Ceratec drain and the change after that it went away and has returned to normal.

After seeing how the stuff clumped up in my compressor and a mod here saw the same clumping in his engine I wouldn't be surprised if it clogged a lifter.
After seeing this stuff with products containing solids I wouldn't put any product with solids in my oil ever again.

Last change UOA included MoS2. One before Ceratec. '18 Golf Sportwagen. Tuned with hardware. Hard driving/drag racing this interval. Cleary less moly/boron than Ceratec.

18-GOLF-SW-200503_pre_flush-page_clean.jpg

Last edited:
In short... LM MOS2 anti-friction additive, any applications it would be beneficial? I have a few cans, but honestly they've sat around for YEARS. We had a number of Liqui/Lubro-Moly products at my father's shop, some I remember using such as valve clean, injection cleaner and diesel purge.

Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
In short... LM MOS2 anti-friction additive, any applications it would be beneficial? I have a few cans, but honestly they've sat around for YEARS. We had a number of Liqui/Lubro-Moly products at my father's shop, some I remember using such as valve clean, injection cleaner and diesel purge.

I'd pass. After seeing Trav's pictures and commentary, and reports of other members seeing it collected at the bottom of their oil pans in vehicles that weren't driven daily, no thanks.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I'd pass. After seeing Trav's pictures and commentary, and reports of other members seeing it collected at the bottom of their oil pans in vehicles that weren't driven daily, no thanks.

I can't see how it would hurt but folks here seem concerned about it separating out and collecting - I had no issues but I drive my car every day. Last change I went with Liquimoly's Molygen which has a friction modified already added - MFC (molecular friction control) which is tungsten-based.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

I can't see how it would hurt but folks here seem concerned about it separating out and collecting - I had no issues but I drive my car every day. Last change I went with Liquimoly's Molygen which has a friction modified already added - MFC (molecular friction control) which is tungsten-based.

In vehicles which aren't driven daily it does fall out of suspension, and collect in the bottom of the oil pan. We've had pictures posted over the years showing this. As far as tungsten based, IIRC that will also fall out of suspension. If you're looking to boost moly and have it stay in suspension check out Lubegard Biotech Engine Protectant.

Sounds good, I have a few cans if any is interested
lol.gif

Sounds good, I have a few cans if any is interested
lol.gif

Me too, unfortunately.

Agree
I even let the drained Hyundai oil sit in the plastic oil pan for a week. No separation of the MoS2. Even if it separate in two weeks non-use, within a few seconds, it blends right back-in with the oil. Plus, there's an excellent chance the MoSD did it's job and kept a film barrier during those two weeks of all play and no workie.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Agree
I even let the drained Hyundai oil sit in the plastic oil pan for a week. No separation of the MoS2. Even if it separate in two weeks non-use, within a few seconds, it blends right back-in with the oil. Plus, there's an excellent chance the MoSD did it's job and kept a film barrier during those two weeks of all play and no workie.

Trav's picutes of MoS2 collecting in the bottom of the oil pan were taken shortly after the car was moved into place to get under it to drop the oil pan. It did not blend back into the oil after being started up and driven shortly before the pan was dropped. There are other pictures floating around showing exactly the same issue Trav had.

Agree

Trav's picutes of MoS2 collecting in the bottom of the oil pan were taken shortly after the car was moved into place to get under it to drop the oil pan. It did not blend back into the oil after being started up and driven shortly before the pan was dropped. There are other pictures floating around showing exactly the same issue Trav had.
I've used it before, but I don't now. My worry would be using in in engines with needle bearing roller lifters like the hemi mds or the gm LS afm engines.

Agree

are the pictures still available? I heard about this for years now but never seen the pictures?

What I want to know was how long was the vehicle operated before pulling the pan and seeing the stuff? LM says that it will be re-mixed once you drive it.

OP checking in - At long last (and after years of wanting to try it, but never being able to find it in Australia until recent times) I put Ceratec in my daily drive - a 2006 Honda Accord Euro (Acura TSX) with approximately 168,000km on the clock which I acquired a couple months back.

At the time of purchase I zero'd out all fluids (which included an amsoil engine flush). Replaced with valvoline synpower 5w40 and ran for approximately 2500km (In the hope of some additional cleaning).

Changed with Shell Helix Ultra 5w30 and 250ml of Liquimoly Ceratec. Amazingly, car feels much smoother, responsive, quieter AND is also achieving better fuel economy (how much the fuel economy is attributable to the 5w30 helix ultra, we will never know).

I threw the remaining 50ml in my mower (ha!)

I have another bottle which I will use in my S2000 at its next oil change.

All in all, first impressions of ceratec are positive.

Back