CD2 Engine Detergent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will just give the Schaeffers 131 Neutra a try. I just wish that it was a little easier to find. I will order it through this website.

See this thread for my experience with CD2 Oil Detergent. Summary - my oil consumption rate in a Saturn SL2 almost doubled. So it worked, but not like I had hoped.
shocked.gif
Saturn rings stuck

Katsdad,

I was wondering the same thing. Autozone is the only place I know of that sells KW Flush around here. I think I'll go buy a can of it (only $2.50) and mix it with the correct ratio of oil to flush and put it in a coffee cup like Bob said. It doesn't suprise me it ate away at the cup because there was no oil in it. KW does advertise that it is harmless to moving parts, so there might some merit to that. Other flushes I've seen didn't advertise that.

Jason

Probably...I used it at my last oil change. Not sure if it did anything per se. Personally though, I don't see the coffee cup analysis as being worth much as there is NO styrofoam in one's engine. Secondly, the stuff MIXES with the oil and hence, even though the chemicals may be toxic and damaging on their own, when diluted with the existing oil, they probably only "beef-up" what's already in the oil to begin with so that more extensive cleaning may occur. I think unlike auto-rx though, that you're only getting a 'surface' cleaning and/or a rinsing effect...kinda like mouthwash vs. a professional cleaning.

on my first car ever i had a junky motor with high miles... lifters, or something, tapped like crazy. 2 bottles of the cd-2 stopped it (the stuff in yellow bottles claiming to quiet lifters, valves)

eldawg4100, how long did you keep it in there though? It seems like the instructions are vague..."you just add to the oil when doing oil change or anytime"...but, it doens't give a proper cleaning interval.

Was it the Cd-2 that is the oil detergent stuff or the thick stuff to stop leaks and or quiet lifters?

I'm gonna go buy some CD-2 oil detergent and see what it does to a coffey cup. Will post the results later today.

Jason

Oh I almost forgot I'll also get some Rislone detergent and see what it does to the cup. The thing is though is I can't find the add anytime formula anywhere around here. I'll keep looking but so far I've been to Autozone, O'Reilly, and Wal-Mart. They only carried the 1 quart stuff. I'll go to Advanced today and see if they have it, but I doubt they will.

Jason

the stuff i used was thin like marvel mystery oil. claimed to quiet noisy lifters, valves, and something else lol.

i didnt know anything about oil back then, i just added it at oil change and drove for who knows how long. that car is long gone anyways.

I'm assuming that the smaller bottle of Rislone is probably more concentrated then the 1 quart bottle.
It's only an assumption, but It would only make sence. Anyone?

i thought:

a) the solvents had to be diluted with oil, and;

b) seals are made out of rubber, nitrile, silicone, cork, etc. and not styrofoam.

I have used it for 5K kms... added to a fresh mineral 5w 30 Mobil on a V6 GM with hyd. lifters.

I'm using the same car for 5 years so I'm used to how the engine's sounds get different as the oil deteriorates. I can't say CD2 lenghten the oil's performance, but improved it during the use. (Please note that this is a personal observation without test data.)

Anyway, this stuff did not made the oil proggressively darker perceptibly as I was expecting, but it might be because of that the engine was already clean since I change oil often. Mobil -mineral, gets slightly darker after 5ooo kms, it was the same progress with CD2 during 5oookms.

Ticking noises almost gone at the idle, and engine was perceptibly more smooth/silent past 65mph (100kph) speeds. I can say it pushed the usual sound levels of the engine at specific speeds -that I got used to- at least 30kph farther.

I kept this oil-CD2 combo ~1ooo kms longer than usual, after changing it every sound came back w/o the CD2 in the sump again. On the bottle it advises: "Use at least every 2,000 miles". So, could this really be a cleaner?

I think it's main benefit might not be the cleaning eventough advertised as it (but may be the detergency). It is not thick, very liquid. Made this engine perceptibly more smooth at higher revs. and more silent at the all times. I didn't experience any oil use (and I wasn't need to add between changes.)

One of my friends (who advised me CD2) experienced the same things on a 1.6lt 4cyl European Ford.

BTW. CD2 also gives the moneyback satisfaction guarantee.

Does anyone have an engine made of coffee cups?

I drink *&^% cola and know what it does to rusty junkyard engines and don't care.

I don't think that my engine would care what some of the engine flushes do to cups!

I haven't seen styrofoam seals. I also haven't see neoprene/nitrile/rubber/silicone......coffee cups!

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:

I don't think that my engine would care what some of the engine flushes do to cups!

The seals may care. My own take is that using solvent products in doses beyond what's indicated could lead to problems, even with otherwise compatible products.

Without knowing the solvent chemistry and seal material it's a little like weighing witches to see if they're made of wood.

I just picked up some CD2 Engine Detergent for my girlfriends POS 1992 Pontiac Lemans (the car BARELY runs... it just needs to last a month or two longer). I think a bottle of Auto-RX is worth more than the entire car so I didnt want to put that in and waste money. A $2 bottle of CD2 hopefully will clean it a little bit. Ive been changing the oil every month and each time it comes out SUPER BLACK so I am hoping this will break more of the crap down.

The car was her fathers until he got a new Silverado. It had sat for 3 years without being run/moved and ran with that same 3 year old oil for about 9 months before I got to it. Its not a pretty sight.

Someone go fill a cup with gasoline, then we will all know that gasoline is bad for your car and is not to be used!

richard

Some gasoline gets into your sump at every cold startup (and may not be fully purged if the vehicle is not thoroughly warmed up). Think about that over 150,000 or 200,000 miles of engine life. I'm not saying you'd want to purposely put raw gasoline in your sump on a routine basis, but is it really necessary to get obsessive-compulsive over the notion of small amounts of oil-diluted solvent as a carrier in an oil additive as it pertains to elastomeric seals whose composition the engineers chose to deal with hot oil and inevitible daily gasoline contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back