Caterpillar transmission oil

I have a caterpillar D4D dozer serial # 82J1183 I need to change the transmission fluid and the stuff that came out is a very thick white fluid, what would I use to replace this I can't find anything similar?

Is this the fluid in the powershift portion of the transmission, or does it have hydrostats? I think Cat is running hydros up to the D5, maybe even D6 sizes. If it is thick and white you have a water contamination issue that needs to be addressed first. Give a few more details, and I'll try and help more.

Oh wow, didn't realize how old that beauty was...but I still can't think of any fluid that would be thick and white without water contamination!

Has to be water being absorbed somehow. I would look into Schaeffer oil I would bet they have available oil.

The dozer uses TDTO for the transmission. The attached doc is the current Cat lubrication recommendations. I think the D4 is on pages 45-46. You can use other commercial TDTO oils as long as they comply with the specification.

The increased vis and white color that you saw is water contamination. A TDTO contains an additive that will act as an emulsifier so you get the milkshake look without water separation.

Attachments

• Cat SEBU6250-28.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 316
After a change some water will remain. These old beasts seldom get used enough to get the fluids hot. I would short change it if you can afford it.

Old dozers like a D8 used SAE 30 series 3 motor oil in all compartments except the hydraulic tank.
D7F speced 50 in the finals if my memory is correct.

Back