Castrol sold in Canada, made in Canada.

I took a photo of the Castrol Edge that has "made in Canada" on the jug at Canadian Tire. It has Dexos code suffix 59. Another motor oil with code 59 is AC Delco.

The Castrol is distributed by Wakefield Canada. I suspect this is made by Suncor but I'd appreciate any help in confirming that. Suncor owns the Petrocanada brand. There are roots back to BP, as Petrocanada bought the BP Canada refining assets in 1983.

Anyone know there code 59 leads? Thanks.

B0FBE238-26C5-4165-B12E-9D0536EBA2E6.jpeg

9FDE375C-008A-435A-9622-1537ED3E4106.jpeg

Looks like a dead end. The Petrocanada code is 24 and AFAIK Holley Frontier was not much into motor oil until they bought the Lube unit of Petrocanada. Still looking for the manufacturer with code 59. Thanks.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Before the Suncor acquisition of PC, BP marine lubricants were produced under licence and listed in the PC's handbooks and web site.

HF owns the Red Giant brand which supplies railways with locomotive engine oils and track grease. A competitor in that market, especially in Canada is www.lbfoster.com

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Anyone know there code 59 leads? Thanks.

Don't think that will help. Castrol "owns" that license number for their formulation so Castrol could hire a guy to blend this in their garage following Castrol's formula and it's fine. In the chemical industry, "blending" is very common and can be done for capacity reasons, transportation savings, and so on.

Only way you might figure something out is to find this oil in cartons or on a pallet from the supplier and see if there's an address on the label. Even then, it might come from an in-between warehouse or a distributor, not the blending facility.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Only way you might figure something out is to find this oil in cartons or on a pallet from the supplier and see if there's an address on the label. Even then, it might come from an in-between warehouse or a distributor, not the blending facility.

Yes, so it will probably show Wakefield Canada,

Last edited:
Wakefield has their own plant in Ontario and does all things Castrol, some things under their own brand and quite a bit of private label blending (think Canadian Tire brands, OE branded fluids etc). I would be willing to bet that the 59 is the code for them.

I checked it out and Wakefield bought the BP Canada blending plant in 2010 and the Castrol Canada blending plant in 2014. Looks like their advertising group decided to push the CANADA thing just recently.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Where do you suppose they get their base stocks and additive packages?

That would be a tough one to figure oil. With free trade those products can move across the border with ease or they might come from the Suncor, Shell, Imperial Oil or Irving refineries in Canada. You'd have to talk with the truck drivers who delivered the loads or perhaps have a mole in Wakefield's office.
smile.gif

Back